Ford Motor Company is recalling certain model year 2016 Ford Fusion and 2016 Lincoln MKZ vehicles over a potential issue with their fuel tanks that increase the risk of a fire.
The defect: in affected vehicles, the fuel tank might not have been manufactured with insufficient wall thickness. As a result, the fuel tank may crack in the event of a crash. As such, the vehicles fail to comply with the requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) number 301, “Fuel System Integrity.”
The hazards: a fuel tank that cracks may leak fuel, increasing the risk of a fire. Ford is not aware of any accidents, injuries or fires associated with this issue.
- Certain 2016 Ford Fusion built at Hermosillo Assembly Plant between September 3rd, 2015 through September 13th, 2015
- Certain 2016 Lincoln MKZ vehicles built at Hermosillo Assembly Plant, September 3rd, 2015 through September 12th, 2015
Number of affected vehicles: 708 in North America, of which:
- 658 are in the United States and federalized territories
- 28 are in Canada
- 22 are in Mexico
The fix: dealers will replace the fuel tank at no cost to the customer.
Owners should: owners who wish to know if their vehicle is included in these recalls can visit http://owner.ford.com (Ford owners) or http://owner.lincoln.com (Lincoln owners) and click on Safety Recalls at the bottom of the page. There, customers can enter their Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) to see any open safety, compliance or emissions recalls, as well as customer satisfaction programs.
- Ford Customer Service: 1-866-436-7332
- Lincoln Customer Service: 1-800-521-4140
- FoMoCo Recall Number: 15V618000
- NHTSA Toll Free: 1-888-327-4236
- NHTSA (TTY): 1-800-424-9153
- NHTSA Website: www.safecar.gov
- NHTSA Recall Number: 15C11