Ford Motor Company is issuing a recall for certain 2016 Ford Explorer and 2015-2016 Lincoln MKC crossovers over an issue with the engine block heater.
The defect: affected vehicles are equipped with 2.3L GTDI engines and engine block heaters. These engine block heaters have elements that may overheat while plugged in.
The hazards: overheating of the engine block increase the risk of a fire.
- 2015-2016 Lincoln MKC vehicles manufactured November 25, 2013 to January 25, 2016
- 2016 Ford Explorer vehicles manufactured October 20, 2014 to January 28, 2016
Number of affected vehicles: 1,543 units (Untied States figure).
The fix: Ford will notify owners, and dealers will replace the engine block heater, free of charge. Dealers will also inspect and replace the electrical cord, as necessary.
- Ford owners who wish to know if their vehicle is included in this Ford Explorer recall can visit http://owner.ford.com and click on Safety Recalls at the bottom of the page
- Lincoln owners who wish to know if their vehicle is included in this Lincoln MKC recall can visit http://owner.lincoln.com and click on Safety Recalls at the bottom of the page
There, customers can enter their Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) to see any open safety, compliance or emissions recalls, as well as customer satisfaction programs.
Owners may also contact Ford customer service or Lincoln customer service by using the following contact information.
- Ford Customer Service: 1-866-436-7332
- Lincoln Customer Service: 1-800-521-4140
- FoMoCo Recall Number: 16S14
- NHTSA Toll Free: 1-888-327-4236
- NHTSA (TTY): 1-800-424-9153
- NHTSA Website: www.safecar.gov
- NHTSA Recall Number: 16V183000