Ford Motor Company is recalling certain units of the Ford Flex, Taurus, and Taurus X as well as the Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS over an issue with the driver frontal airbag.
The defect: the driver frontal air bag may improperly inflate during second-stage deployment in the event of a high speed crash. As such, these vehicles fail to comply with the requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) number 208, “Occupant Crash Protection.”
The hazards: an improperly inflated air bag increases the risk of injury in the event of a crash.
Affected vehicles: certain:
- 2009-2012 Ford Flex
- 2008 and 2010-2012 Ford Taurus
- 2008-2009 Ford Taurus X
- 2008 Mercury Sable
- 2009 and 2011 Lincoln MKS vehicles
Number of affected vehicles: 695 units (Untied States figure).
The fix: Ford will notify owners, and dealers will inspect and replace the driver’s frontal air bag module, as necessary, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin on June 13, 2016.
Owners should:Ford owners who wish to know if their vehicle is included in this Ford Motor Company recall can visit http://owner.ford.com and click on Safety Recalls at the bottom of the page. There, customers can enter their Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) to see any open safety, compliance or emissions recalls, as well as customer satisfaction programs.
Owners may also contact Ford, Mercury and Lincoln customer service by using the following contact information.
- Ford Customer Service: 1-866-436-7332
- Lincoln Customer Service: 1-800-521-4140
- Mercury Customer Service: 1-800–521-4140
- FoMoCo Recall Number: 16C06
- NHTSA Toll Free: 1-888-327-4236
- NHTSA (TTY): 1-800-424-9153
- NHTSA Website: www.safecar.gov
- NHTSA Recall Number: 16V247000