Ford Motor Company is recalling some 2013 to 2015 model-year Ford and Lincoln sedans and crossovers over an issue with fuel pump control modules that could fail, causing either a no-start or a random-stalling condition.
The defect: Ford has given no information as to what conditions contribute to the failure of the affected fuel pump control modules, only stating that the units have exhibited a high incidence of failure.
The hazards: the fuel pump control module in affected vehicles could fail without warning, causing a no-start condition or random stalling while the vehicle is being driven, with no ability to restart. In the latter case, the risk of being involved in a crash increases. Ford is aware of no accidents or injuries relating to this issue.
- 2013-15 Ford Taurus with 3.5-liter EcoBoost V6 manufactured August 25, 2011 through May 31, 2015 at the Chicago Assembly Plant
- 2013-15 Ford Flex with 3.5-liter EcoBoost V6 manufactured September 12, 2011 through May 29, 2015 at the Oakville Assembly Plant
- 2013-15 Lincoln MKS with 3.5-liter EcoBoost V6 manufactured August 31, 2011 through May 31, 2015 at the Chicago Assembly Plant
- 2013-15 Lincoln MKT with 3.5-liter EcoBoost V6 manufactured September 12, 2011 through May 29, 2015 at the Oakville Assembly Plant
- 2013-15 Ford Police Interceptor sedan with all engines, manufactured September 8, 2011 through May 31, 2015 at the Chicago Assembly Plant
Number of affected vehicles: approximately 86,000 total units, of which:
- 77,502 are in the United States and its territories
- 7,353 are in Canada
- 1,083 are in Mexico
The fix: authorized Ford dealers will inspect the fuel pump control modules in affected vehicles, replacing them as-needed free-of-charge.
Owners should: Ford owners who wish to know if their vehicle is included in the fuel pump control module recall should visit http://owner.ford.com and click on Safety Recalls at the bottom of the page. There, customers can enter their Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) to see any open safety, compliance, or emissions recalls, as well as customer satisfaction programs.
Owners may also contact Ford customer service by using the following contact information.
Contacts & Details
- Ford Customer Service: 1-866-436-7332
- FoMoCo Recall Number: 16S31
- NHTSA Toll Free: 1-888-327-4236
- NHTSA (TTY): 1-800-424-9153
- NHTSA Website: www.safecar.gov
- NHTSA Recall Number: 16V621000