At a special event in Dearborn today, Ford officially announced a new “FX4” Off-Road Package for the all-new, 2018 Ford Expedition – the first dedicated off-road package for the Expedition in more than a decade. It encompasses a select few drivetrain, suspension, and other changes to transform the full-size, body-on-frame SUV into an off-road-capable vehicle.
- Drivetrain: An electronic limited-slip rear differential helps the four-wheel-drive Ford Expedition maintain traction on tricky driving surfaces, automatically sending more torque to the rear wheel that needs it most. The 3.73:1 ratio helps to put more torque down at the wheels, while improving towing and hauling.
- Suspension: A set of stiff, off-road-tuned dampers comes standard to help maintain contact with the driving surface.
- Wheels and Tires: The wheels have been replaced with thicker, meatier cast-aluminum ones more resilient to off-road abuse. They measure just 18 inches in diameter, and wear all-terrain tires with stiff sidewalls to deliver good traction off the pavement.
- Protection: The 2018 Ford Expedition FX4 comes equipped with seven skid plates to help keep critical parts from getting damaged by rocks and other hazards. A sand shield protects the turbocharger intercoolers from being clogged by sand; steel plates keep the engine, stering gear, transmission, and transfer case from being damaged; and the fuel tank has its own full-length guard.
- Other: Subtle FX4 badging is deployed on the liftgate and front fenders of the Expedition FX4, and a pair of sharp-looking chrome running boards eases ingress into the cabin. The exclusive wheels get a unique Magnetic Metallic finish, and inside, all-weather rubber floor liners keep the carpet safe from sand and mud.
“The FX4 Off-Road package delivers off-road driving confidence,” says Ford Expedition Vehicle Engineering Manager Mike Kipley. The automaker estimates that somewhere north of 20 percent of all Expedition owners use their SUVs off-road. “The technology we’re using works to adapt to different driving conditions so customers can enjoy the adventure without worry.”
Pricing for the 2018 Ford Expedition FX4 isn’t known at the moment, but we’ll surely know what it costs prior to the all-new SUV’s launch this fall.