Ford Motor Company is issuing a safety recall for 2018 model year Ford F-150 trucks equipped with the 3.3-liter engine and six-speed automatic transmission with a column shifter over an issue that could result in unintended vehicle movement.
The defect: in affected vehicles, rapid movement of the transmission shifter from park to drive may cause loss of PRNDL gear indication in the instrument cluster and momentary engagement of reverse operation before the vehicle achieves forward drive function.
The hazards: an operator could alternatively experience momentary neutral operation rather than reverse. Unintended vehicle movement may increase the risk of accident or injury.
Affected vehicles: 2018 Ford F-150 with 3.3-liter engine, six-speed transmission and column-mounted shift lever. Specifically:
- 2018 Ford F-150 vehicles built at Dearborn Assembly Plant, January 12, 2017 to October 9, 2017
- 2018 Ford F-150 vehicles built at Kansas City Assembly Plant, January 30, 2017 to October 9, 2017
Number of vehicles affected: 15,031 in North America with:
- 12,429 in the United States and federalized territories
- 2,023 in Canada
- 579 in Mexico
The fix: dealers will reprogram the powertrain control module with the latest level calibration software at no cost to the customer. Prior to completion of repairs, customers and dealers will be instructed to carefully shift into the desired gear and confirm intended gear selection in the PRNDL instrument cluster display.
Owners should: owners who wish to know if their vehicle is included in this Ford F-150 recall can visit http://owner.ford.com and click on Safety Recalls at the bottom of the page. There, they can enter their Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) to see any open safety, compliance or emissions recalls, as well as customer satisfaction programs.
Owners may also contact Ford customer service or the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) using the information below.
- Ford Customer Service: 1-866-436-7332
- Ford Recall Number: 17S35
- NHTSA Campaign Number: TBA
- NHTSA Toll Free: 1-888-327-4236
- NHTSA (TTY): 1-800-424-9153
- NHTSA Website: www.safecar.gov