Ford F-150 sales were flat in the United States, and increased 3.24 percent in Mexico during the first quarter of 2019.
Ford F-Series Sales - Q1 2019 - United StatesIn the United States, Ford F-Series deliveries totaled 214,611 units in Q1 2019, a decrease of about 0 percent compared to 214,191 units sold in Q1 2018.
|MODEL||Q1 2019 / Q1 2018||Q1 2019||Q1 2018|
Ford F-Series Sales - Q1 2019 - MexicoIn Mexico, Ford F-Series deliveries totaled 3,542 units in Q1 2019, an increase of about 3 percent compared to 3,431 units sold in Q1 2018.
|MODEL||Q1 2019 / Q1 2018||Q1 2019||Q1 2018|
Competitive Sales Comparison
U.S. F-Series sales outperformed the segment during the first quarter: as the full-size pickup truck segment contracted nearly 2 percent during the timeframe, F-Series sales increased a slight 0.2 percent to 214,611 units. As such, the F-150 retains its position as the leader in this highly-lucrative and extremely competitive segment, accounting for an impressive 41 percent share of the segment.
Sales Numbers - Full-Size Mainstream Pickup Trucks - Q1 2019 - USA
|MODEL||Q1 19 / Q1 18||Q1 19||Q1 18||Q1 19 SHARE||Q1 18 SHARE|
|RAM RAM PICKUP||+15.45%||120,026||103,964||23%||19%|
Second place in terms of overall sales volume went to the Ram Pickup (see Ram Pickup sales). Sales of the FCA truck increased 15.5 percent, enabling the vehicle to enjoy a 23 percent segment share. It was the only other vehicle to see an increase in overall sales volume aside from the F-Series. Third place went to the Silverado (see Silverado sales), which saw sales slip 15.7 percent to a segment share of 22 percent. The vehicle is currently undergoing launch, and not all variants and body styles are available.
Trailing the segment was the GMC Sierra (see GMC Sierra sales) in fourth place with sales down 2.2 percent for an 8 percent market share. Like its corporate cousin, the Silverado, the Sierra is also undergoing launch and is seeing limited availability.
Toyota Tundra sales decreased 4.63 percent for a 5 percent market share, putting the model in fifth place in its segment by sales volume. Nissan Titan sales decreased 24 percent, resulting in a last place finish and a market share of 2 percent.
As mentioned above, the full-size pickup truck segment contracted an average of 1.86 percent in Q1 2019.
Below, we are including Honda Ridgeline sales for informational purposes, since the model straddles the midsize and full-size pickup truck segments.
Sales Numbers - Honda Ridgeline - Q1 2019 - USA
|MODEL||Q1 19 / Q1 18||Q1 19||Q1 18|
The Ford Authority Take
Overall, Ford F-Series sales performed relatively well in the first quarter of 2019, considering that the model saw growth as the segment slowed as a whole. And while the Ram Pickup seems to be building momentum, it is doing so via very high incentives. No matter, the F-Series still dominates the segment with about 100,000 more units sold than the runner-up.
We attribute the F-Series’s Q1 2019 sales performance to the following factors:
- A solid, highly-competitive and desirable product
- Ample supply of inventory at the dealer level, while inventory of rivals such as the all-new 2019 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 and 2019 GMC Sierra suffered as part of a launch cadence
- A strong heritage – America loves its Ford pickups: a Ford F-150 was sold every 29.3 seconds in 2018
We believe that Ford will be able to maintain the F-Series’ appeal, despite GM setting up to complete the launch of the 2019 Silverado and Sierra, and while Ram takes steady strides in sales volume, albeit with very high incentives that sap profit.
- All percent change figures compared to Ford F-Series Q1 2018 sales
- In the United States, there were 76 selling days in Q1 2018 and 76 selling days in Q1 2019
- Ford F-Series sales include:
- Ford F-150 and variants
- Ford F-Series Super Duty models, including:
- Ford F-250 Super Duty and variants
- Ford F-350 Super Duty and variants
- Ford F-450 Super Duty and variants
- Ford F-550 Super Duty and variants
- Ford F-Series Chassis Cab
- Ford F-650 and F-750 are not included in these sales, as Ford records their sales separately as Ford Heavy Trucks sales
- Ram Pickup sales include:
- Ram 1500 pickup and variants
- Ram 2500 pickup and variants
- Ram 3500 pickup and variants
- Ram Chassis Cab
- Chevrolet Silverado sales include:
- Chevrolet Silverado 1500 and variants
- Chevrolet Silverado Heavy Duty models, including:
- Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD and variants
- Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD and variants
- Chevrolet Silverado Heavy Duty Chassis Cab
- Chevrolet Silverado Medium Duty Chassis Cab
- GMC Sierra sales include:
- GMC Sierra 1500, Sierra Denali 1500 and variants
- GMC Sierra Heavy Duty models, including:
- GMC Sierra 2500HD, GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali and variants
- GMC Sierra 3500HD, GMC Sierra 3500HD Denali and variants
- GMC Sierra HD Chassis Cab
- Toyota Tundra sales include:
- Toyota Tundra and variants
- Nissan Titan sales include:
- Nissan Titan and variants
- Nissan Titan XD and variants