Multimatic is the company that builds the Ford GT hypercar and has a racing team that does well in the car. Ford announced that it wouldn’t have a factory team running the Ford GT in racing after this year’s 24 Hours of Le Mans race. However, Ford promises that it will still support customer Ford GT racing teams in future seasons. There had been no major teams willing to continue with the Ford GT in the series despite Ford saying it had customer interest.
Multimatic has now announced that it has logged a last-minute attempt to get into the grid for the 2019-2020 FIA World Endurance Championship season with the organization said to be exploring three “very serious” inquires according to Larry Holt, motorsports operations head.
Holt says that Multimatic has received an entry extension from WEC for a potential privateer effort in either GTE-Pro or GTE-Am classes with either effort supported by Ford. Entries closed on May 21, but the WEC has reportedly received fewer entries for the full-season than expected.
Holt said that there are three serious inquiries on running privately-funded Pro cars or privately-funded Pro-Am cars. A couple of the entries are tied to some sort of larger program that might happen in the future around a top class for the series.
According to Holt, the three interested parties have been “heavily involved” in racing team operation/ownership in the past and are looking to do something different. A Ford GT GTE effort could serve the teams as an interim step before moving into a yet-to-be-confirmed top class for WEC. Two of the entires have eyes on the GTE Plus concept that has been in discussion to replace the FIA and ACO proposed Hypercar Formula. A revised set of Hypercar regulations are expected to be announced Friday.
Source: Sportscar 365