2020 Ford Escape
The 2020 Ford Escape received a complete overhaul, consisting of a redesign and re-engineering, representing the first model year of the third-generation Escape.
Changes, Updates, New Features
The 2020 Ford Escape is all-new from the ground up. Here’s what we expect from Ford’s compact crossover.
- Model line:
- Escape S
- Escape SE
- Escape SE Sport
- Escape SEL
- Escape Titanium
- All-new, more car-like exterior design that is substantially different from the last-generation Ford Escape
- Escape SE Sport gets unique exterior cues like model-specific grille and wheels
- Lower loading floor and rear hatch opening for easier cargo loading
- All-new interior, delivering a more space-efficient design, greater comfort, and more space for passengers and cargo
- All-new in-vehicle technology, including an updated version of the Ford Sync 3 infotainment system, 4G LTE with Wi-Fi.
- Escape SE and above get a standard 8-inch touch screen
- All trim levels come with a fully digital gauge cluster
- Ten-speaker, 575-watt B&O by Bang & Olufson sound system offered as standard equipment on higher trim levels
- Five-passenger seating with second row that can transform into a flat loading floor
- Drivetrain and Chassis:
- Engines and transmissions placed in a transverse, front-wheel drive bias configuration for optimal packaging efficiency
- Rides on the Scalable Ford Front-Wheel-Drive Platform
- Eight-speed automatic, and continuously variable (CVT) automatic transmissions
- All new plug-in hybrid powertrain
- Reduced weight over current model, roughly by 200 pounds, resulting in improvements in fuel economy and handling
The 2020 Ford Escape continues to be offered as a two-row compact crossover SUV. Total number of doors is five (including the hatch). The 2020 Ford Escape only comes in one body style no matter which trim level is selected.
However, unique styling cues are applied to Escape SE Sport and Escape Titanium to distinguish them from the rest of the lineup.
The 2020 Ford Escape has a total of four distinct powertrains. Let’s take a closer look at the Escape’s powertrain options.
|1.5L EcoBoost I3 gasoline||8-speed automatic||180||177|
|2.0L EcoBoost I4 gasoline||8-speed automatic||250||275|
|2.5L I4 hybrid||CVT||198||N/A|
|2.5L I4 plug-in hybrid||CVT||209||N/A|
The 2020 Ford Escape sees several changes to the model lineup. The new model lineup is as follows:
|Drive Wheels||Trim Level||Engine|
|FWD||S||1.5L EcoBoost I3|
|AWD||S||1.5L EcoBoost I3|
|FWD||SE||1.5L EcoBoost I3|
|AWD||SE||1.5L EcoBoost I3|
|FWD||SE||2.5L hybrid I4|
|AWD||SE||2.5L hybrid I4|
|FWD||SE||2.5L plug-in hybrid I4|
|FWD||SEL||1.5L EcoBoost I3|
|AWD||SEL||1.5L EcoBoost I3|
|AWD||SEL||2.0L EcoBoost I4|
|FWD||SEL||2.5L plug-in hybrid I4|
|FWD||SE Sport||2.5L hybrid I4|
|AWD||SE Sport||2.5L hybrid I4|
|AWD||Titanium||2.0L EcoBoost I4|
|FWD||Titanium||2.5L hybrid I4|
|AWD||Titanium||2.5L hybrid I4|
|FWD||Titanium||2.5L plug-in hybrid I4|
All variations of the third-generation Ford Escape ride on the Scalable Ford Front-Wheel-Drive Platform shared with the following vehicles:
The 2020 Ford Escape will be assembled at global Ford Motor Company plants, including in North America, Europe (as the Kuga) and China. Production in Russia and South America is also possible.
The 2020 Ford Escape follows the regular Ford model year rollover sequence. We expect the new Escape to be launched at the third quarter of the 2019 calendar year.
We expect the current, third-generation Ford Escape to remain into production for at least the next four-years. As we write this, there are no plans to update the vehicle yet since this is an all-new Ford Escape launched for the 2020 model year.
Discuss the 2020 Ford Escape in our Ford forum.
Follow our coverage of Ford Escape news.
|Total vehicle length||180.5|
|Total vehicle height||68.6|
|Total vehicle width (including mirrors)||85.6|
|Head room (first row)||40|
|Head room (second row)||39.3|
|Leg room (first row)||42.4|
|Leg room (second row) gasoline engines||38.8|
|Leg room (second row) hybrid engines||37.1|
Engines And Transmissions
|1.5L EcoBoost I3||180||177||Eight-speed automatic|
|2.0L EcoBoost I4||250||275||Eight-speed automatic|
|2.5L hybrid I4||198||N/A||Continuously variable transmisison (CVT)|
|2.5L plug-in hybrid I4||209||N/A||Continuously variable transmission (CVT)|
|Passenger volume||140 cu-ft|
|Cargo volume behind 2nd row||32.8 cu-ft|
|Cargo volume behind 1st row||63.2 cu-ft|
|Base curb weight FWD 1.5L I3||3299 lb|
|Base curb weight AWD 1.5L I3||4464 lb|
|Base curb weight FWD 2.0L I4||3399 lb|
|Base curb weight AWD 2.0L I4||3551 lb|
|Base curb weight FWD 2.5L hybrid||3554 lb|
|Base curb weight AWD 2.5L hybrid||3706 lb|
|Base curb weight FWD 2.5L plug-in||3884 lb|
Pricing will be published here once it is announced by Ford.