2020 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500
The Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 is expected to launch in the 2019 calendar year as a 2020 model, thereby becoming the range-topping model of the Mustang lineup.
Following is speculative and unconfirmed information about the 2020 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500. This page is a continuous work-in-progress and will be updated on a regular basis as we await official details from Ford.
If you notice any inaccuracies about the information provided, or have edits to suggest, please let us know here.
2020 Mustang Shelby GT500 Photos
2020 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500
2020 Mustang Shelby GT500 Expectations
Following are our expectations of the 2020 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500:
- Building on performance attributes of Shelby GT350
- New front and rear facias that are aggressive in appearance and feature greater aerodynamic properties
- Supercharged variant of the flat-plane crank V-8 engine used in the Shelby GT350, making over 700 horsepower and mated to a choice of Direct shift transmission or 6-speed manual transmission, sending power to the rear wheels
- 20-inch wheels
2020 Mustang Shelby GT500 Spy Shots & Leaks
The Shelby GT500 variant of the 2020 Ford Mustang has been spotted several times undergoing testing:
- April 2018: Mustang Shelby GT500 spy pictures show less camouflage
- April 2018: Mustang Shelby GT500 spy photos show the flagship Mustang looking powerful
- March 2018: Mustang Shelby GT500 spied again
In addition, there have been various leaks of the 2020 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500, including:
- December 2018: leaked CAD drawings show Shelby GT500 supercharged engine
- December 2018: potential photo of 2020 Shelby GT500 engine leaked
- October 2018: Instagram account leaks 2020 Mustang Shelby GT500
Ford has also shared various teasers of the Shelby GT500, including:
- March 2018: Ford teases Shelby GT500 front clip
- March January 2018: Ford teases potential 772 horsepower rating for 2020 Shelby GT500
2020 Mustang Shelby GT500 Body Styles
The 2020 Ford Mustang will likely only be offered as a two-door hardtop coupe. A two-door soft top convertible body style is unlikely.
2020 Mustang Shelby GT500 Platform
Like all sixth-generation units of the Ford Mustang, the 2020 Mustang Shelby G500 will ride on the Ford S550 platform. The longitudinal-engine, rear-drive architecture is currently used exclusively on the Mustang.
2020 Mustang Shelby GT500 Powertrain
The 2020 Mustang Shelby GT500 is expected to be powered by a supercharged flat-plane-crank V8 making over 700 horsepower. Power will be sent to the rear wheels via a choice of a direct-shift transmission or a 6-speed manual gearbox.
2020 Mustang Shelby GT500 Production
The 2020 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 will be assembled by Ford USA at the Ford Flat Rock factory in Michigan.
2020 Mustang Shelby GT500 Availability
The 2020 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 was initially expected to launch in calendar year 2019 as a 2018 model year vehicle. However, new information shows that the vehicle will instead launch as a 2020 model year vehicle in calendar year 2019.
We expect that the Mustang Shelby GT500 based on the sixth-generation Mustang will live on for at least the 2020, 2021, 2022 and 2023 model years. An all-new, future Ford Mustang will launch thereafter, but a Shelby GT500 model will likely join the lineup much later in its lifecycle.
See our running Ford Mustang sales tracker.
Discuss the 2020 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 in our Ford forum.