Ford Motor Company is issuing a safety recall for certain units of the Ford Edge and Lincoln MKX crossovers over potential fuel tank issues caused by corrosion.
The defect: in affected vehicles, the reinforcement brackets where the fuel tank is mounted to the vehicle could get corroded.
The hazards: this condition might result in a fuel odor, fuel leak or a check engine light. A fuel leak in the presence of an ignition source could result in a fire.
Ford is not aware of any accidents, injuries or fires related to this condition.
- Certain 2009-2010 Ford Edge crossovers built at Oakville Assembly Plant between September 1th, 2008 through July 1st, 2010
- Certain 2009-2010 Lincoln MKX crossovers built at Oakville Assembly Plant between September 1th, 2008 through July 1st, 2010
The recall only applies to vehicles currently registered or originally sold in the following areas:
- District of Columbia
- New Hampshire
- New Jersey
- New York
- Rhode Island
- West Virginia
- New Brunswick
- Newfoundland and Labrador
- Nova Scotia
- Prince Edward Island
Number of affected vehicles: a total of 128,823 units in North America, of which:
- 110,636 are in the United States and federalized territories
- 18,187 are in Canada
- 6,000 are in Mexico
The fix: Ford will notify owners, and dealers will inspect the vehicles and either clean and treat the fuel tank with a corrosion preventative or replace the tank, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin December 14th, 2015.
Owners should: owners who wish to know if their vehicle is included in these recalls can visit http://owner.ford.com (Ford owners) or http://owner.lincoln.com (Lincoln owners) and click on Safety Recalls at the bottom of the page. There, customers can enter their Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) to see any open safety, compliance or emissions recalls, as well as customer satisfaction programs.
- Ford Customer Service: 1-866-436-7332
- Lincoln Customer Service: 1-800-521-4140
- FoMoCo Recall Number: 15S31
- NHTSA Toll Free: 1-888-327-4236
- NHTSA (TTY): 1-800-424-9153
- NHTSA Website: www.safecar.gov
- NHTSA Recall Number: 15V712000