Facelifted 2018 Ford F-150 Pickup Truck: Hot Or Not?

The day before the start of the 2017 Detroit North American International Auto Show, Ford Motor Company pulled the wraps off of the refreshed, 2018 Ford F-150, revealing several new front fascia designs for the truck’s broad range of trim levels, a redesigned tailgate, new headlamps and taillights, and some very meaningful powertrain upgrades.

The front grille on most Ford F-150 trim levels now features two thick, horizontal bars that recall those on the F-Series Super Duty, which extend beyond the borders of the grille and take up the negative space left in the bracket-shaped headlamps. On most trim levels, those bars are rendered in a gray or chrome-like finish, but are painted body color on the Ford F-150 Lariat with the sport package (pictured).

Out back, the sheet metal of the tailgate now features a more drastic cut, while the taillight graphics now contain two C-shaped outlines to break up the space, similar to the headlamps.

2018 Ford F-150 Exterior 002

Overall, of course, the Ford F-150’s appearance hasn’t changed too drastically – as is usually the case for a mid-cycle facelift. But has Ford managed to make the light-duty pickup any more handsome? Or did they take a good-looking truck and make it uglier?

We’d like to hear what you think. Be sure to answer the survey below, and weigh-in on the comments section.

Aaron Brzozowski is a writer and motoring enthusiast from Detroit with an affinity for '80s German steel. He is not active on the Twitter these days, but you may send him a courier pigeon.

We'll send you one email per day with the latest Ford updates.
It's totally free.

Comments

1. Charles Carter

I’m not really a “Ford guy” but I do have to admit that I like the design of this one. I would like to point out that they did sort of a Chevrolet theme though by putting that bar across the grille and into the headlights. Of course they didn’t just out right copy it because the bar doesn’t go through the headlights but if you squint you would think a Silverado got redesigned.

1. Ken

Lukly they didn’t copy the wheel wells…

2. Michael Moyer

Lol funny you say that. My grandfather hated that grille and never understood why they put a bar a crossed it and into the headlights. I like the chevys though. New fords are ugly af if you ask me though. I was never a ford guy.

2. Ed

Hot. Great job here Ford! Definitely looking more closely at this!

3. Tyler

I to am not much of a Ford guy but they did a great job. I like it.

4. Ken

All I want is my ’17 F-150 I ordered 5 months ago!!!

5. Eric

I’m a Ford and Dodge guy and I got mixed feelings. The one pictured in this article looks nice, in that color with the painted grille but if you look up the other trim packages, I think they made them worse than 2017. For me that grille in chrome looks lame and overall that front end does not look good in many other colors. I think the F250 pulls this look off much better. Overall this is a softer looking truck, except that Toyota inspired tailgate which is nice, but a bit out of character. I would look for discounted 2017s once these 2018s are in dealer lots and the year is further along.

6. Bill

I owned Ford F -150s years ago but I drive a Silverado now. Fords are built well but the Chevy is still the best looking truck. That new F – 150 is a little better but still ugly.

7. jonathan

the new 2018 f-150 is ugly as can be! theyve chopped up the grill with all of these bars, that extended into non-sporty headlights. they keep making it look worse with every redesign. It has a nuce trans and engine lineup if you ask me but i would NOT buy one based on looks alone because you stare at it every day as an owner! what are you doing ford?! get some decent designers! and get rid of the nerds!

8. Irish

Looks like they copied Chevy’s front grill

9. Tyler

10. Tyler

Well, I’ve been a Ford guy all my life, never cared for the looks of the Chevy. That’s why I’m disappointed to see how Ford is trying to copy the looks of the Silverado when they are already outselling them. I prefer a more simple design, and this truck just has too much going on. A bit of an eyesore if you ask me, I much prefer The 2017

11. Annie

The grille redesign is horrendous. Bring back the old grill which was classic and more handsome and aggresssive looking. Now the ford just loooks like an ugly Chevy.

12. Jose

That new grill is definitely ugly as hell it looks like the ford people just got lazy , they just slapped to bars together the 2017 grill looks way better than this very disappointed in ford how expensive they are I expected more from them