Ford Motor Company has filed an application to register B-MAX as a trademark with the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO), Ford Authority has discovered.
Filed on August 29th, 2017, the application is assigned serial number 87587776 and specifies that the mark will be used in conjunction with the following goods and services:
- Land motor vehicles, namely, automobiles and their engines
- Exterior insignia badges for vehicles
- Vehicle rooftop carriers, namely, roof racks
- Fitted motor vehicle covers
- Bug shields for motor vehicles
- Mud flaps for motor vehicles
- Trailer hitch covers for motor vehicles
- Automobile windshield sunshades and license plate frames for motor vehicles
The Ford Authority Take
Ford sells a subcompact people mover (MPV) called the B-MAX in various international markets such as Europe. Built on the same Ford global B platform as the Fiesta and EcoSport, the B-MAX is driven by the front wheels and features a sliding rear door and two rows of seating.
As such, this filing would suggest that Ford could be planning to bring the B-MAX to the United States market to join the larger C-MAX. The move makes sense given The Blue Oval’s drive to globalize its lineup if not for the fact that the B-MAX is reportedly set to be discontinued later this year. As such, this filing could simply be a reflection of FoMoCo taking steps to secure the trademark while it has a product with the B-Max name, since having a real-world product or service with the name being applied for is a pre-requiriste of being granted rights to a trademark.