Ford Mustang Sales - September 2017 - United StatesIn the United States, Ford Mustang deliveries totaled 5,847 units in September 2017, a decrease of about 9 percent compared to 6,429 units sold in September 2016.
In the first nine months of the year, Mustang sales decreased about 29 percent to 62,196 units.
|MODEL||SEP 2017 / SEP 2016||SEPTEMBER 2017||SEPTEMBER 2016||YTD 2017 / YTD 2016||YTD 2017||YTD 2016|
The Ford Authority Take
The September sales results place the Mustang into second place in its segment, behind the Chevrolet Camaro (up 13 percent to 7,430 units; Camaro sales) and ahead of the Dodge Challenger (down 16 percent to 4,780 units; Dodge Challenger sales), Toyota 86 (down 19 percent to 530 units) and Nissan Z (down 38.6 percent to 315 units). Even so, the Mustang remains the best-selling model in its segment in the first nine months of the year, with 62,196 units sold.
We attribute the decline in Mustang sales to three primary reasons:
- Customers waiting for the updated 2018 Mustang
- Strong Chevrolet Camaro incentives that make the Chevy more attractive despite its higher price point
- A weakened sports car segment as consumers continue to favor crossover and sport utility vehicles
Sales Numbers - Mainstream Sports Cars - September 2017 - United States
|MODEL||SEP 17 / SEP 16||SEPTEMBER 17||SEPTEMBER 16||YTD 17 / YTD 16||YTD 17||YTD 16|
Sales of the full-size mainstream sports car segment decreased nearly 5 percent in September, with Chevrolet being the only offering to post an increase in sales. During the first nine months of 2017, segment sales decreased 13 percent to 177,286 units, with all offerings seeing a decrease in sales volume except for the Dodge Challenger.
The segment’s slumping performance is representative of the aforementioned shift in consumer buying dynamics, where buyers are choosing SUVs/CUVs over other other model types, such as sedans and coupes.
About The Numbers
- All percent change figures compared to Ford Mustang September 2016 sales
- In the United States, there were 26 selling days in September 2017 and 25 selling days in September 2016
More Information & Sales Reporting
- Ford Motor Company news
- Running Ford Motor Company sales numbers
- U.S. Ford Motor Company September 2017 sales results