The value of Ford stock steadily declined during the March 4th, 2019 – March 8th, 2019 timeframe, closing the week at $8.42 per share, representing a decline of $0.41 per share or 4.6 percent compared to its opening value for the week of $8.83.
The shares experienced the following movement during the week:
- Monday, March 4th: Ford stock opened the day and the week at $8.83 and closed at $8.81
- Tuesday, March 5th: shares opened at $8.80 and closed at $8.77
- Wednesday, March 6th: Ford shares opened at $8.75, and closed at $8.58
- Thursday, March 7th: Ford Motor Company stock opened at $8.56, and climbed to $8.48 at market close
- Friday, March 8th: Ford stock opened at $8.40 and rose slightly to close at $8.42, which is $0.37 lower than last week
Overall, it wasn’t a good week for Ford shareholders given the decline in Ford stock value. By comparison, shares of Fiat Chrysler Automobiles also fell this week, moving further away from the $15 threshold, while the value of GM stock fell 4.3 percent.
We remain interested in seeing how Ford stock performs in 2019 given the recent decisions by the automaker to optimize its business performance, including discontinuing all sedans and focusing on more profitable crossovers, SUVs and pickup trucks in the North American market, while at the same time beginning to invest heavily in significantly less profitable autonomous vehicles and technologies.