Ford has just announced the 2020 F-Series Super Duty Tremor – a new package that adds offroad prowess to the towing and payload capability of the Super Duty.
You’re probably here to see what the Tremor package is all about, and who are we to stand in your way?
So, without further ado, here is the hardware specific to the F-Series Super Duty Tremor:
- Aggressive 35-inch Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac maximum-traction tires, the largest diameter tires available on a heavy-duty pickup
- Unique 18-inch matte-black wheels
- 2-inch front-end lift with a shorter air dam
- A rear-end lift of “around 2 inches”, according to Ford engineers
- Progressive-rate springs to balance heavy-duty towing performance needs and to control body motion on rutted, rock-strewn trails
- Specially-tuned rear stabilizer bar for a lower spring rate, enabling less passenger head toss over obstacles during severe suspension articulation
- Custom 1.7-inch piston twin-tube dampers to control body motion
- Locking rear differential with electronic shift-on-the-fly engagement
- New Dana limited-slip front differential; in certain models, the front axle can sense when a tire has lost traction and uses the brakes to send power to the wheel with traction
- Off-road running boards that tuck up next to the body for damage control
- Extended-axle vent tubes
- Rugged skid plates, the same as fitted to FX4 models
The massive shocks feature substantial oil volume that serves to keep internal temperatures low, while the large cross-section works to improve responsiveness. At very low speeds, they are tuned for soft damping, which is increased for control over more severe impacts. Internal hydraulic rebound helps soften the blow from the hardest hits.
All that results in some impressive capabilities:
- 10.8 inches in ground clearance
- 33 inches of water fording capability, which is best-in-class
- The best approach and departure angles of any Super Super ever – 31.65 and 24.51, respectively
Ford says that the F-Series Super Duty Tremor is the most capable off-road Super Duty ever. The package is not a desert runner, like the F-150 Raptor. Instead, it’s more of a rock and rough terrain crawler. Both workhorse and adventure machine, the use case for the Tremor is described by Ford truck group marketing manager, Todd Eckert.
“A growing number of Super Duty customers use their trucks for more than work. They’re fishing, camping and towing boats on weekends and they go off-road, so we designed this truck specifically for them – more ground clearance, bigger shocks, bigger tires and more off-road capability. Tremor balances what customers demand in terms of work with what they need in the great outdoors.”
The Tremor Off-Road does all this while still maintaining its purpose as a Super Duty, with towing and payload ratings similar to non-Tremor models. In fact, the new truck features greater towing and payload ratings than Ram Power Wagon.
Selectable Driving Modes
The 2020 Ford Super Duty Tremor features selectable drive modes, which allow customers to choose the setting best suited to driving conditions. These include:
- Normal for around-town use
- Tow/haul for optimized performance under load
- Eco for enhanced fuel economy
- Slippery for icy conditions
- Deep snow/sand for low-traction conditions
- Rock-crawl for – as the name implies – crawling rocks and other rough terrain
The rock-crawl mode is unique to Tremor. It is optimized to operate in 4×4 low and is enabled by the standard TorqShift 10-speed automatic transmission.
And now, for the first time ever, Ford F-Series Super Duty gets Trail Control. Having first made its debut on the F-150 Raptor and Ranger, it functions in any mode and is like cruise control for off-road driving.
The 2020 Ford F-Series Super Duty Tremor is available as an optional package on the 4×4 single-rear-wheel F-250 and F-350 models with the SuperCrew cab and 6.75-foot box in XLT, Lariat, King Ranch and Platinum trim levels. It will be available with both the all-new 7.3-liter gasoline V8 (with a 53:1 crawl ratio) or Ford’s third-generation 6.7-liter Power Stroke diesel (44:1 crawl ratio). F-250 models also require the high-capacity trailer tow package.
- F-250 SRW (requires high-capacity trailer towing package)
- F-350 SRW
- 6.75-foot box
- King Ranch
- 7.3-liter gasoline V8
- 6.7-liter Power Stroke diesel
The Tremor Off-Road Package will be available when the 2020 Super Duty launches later on in 2019. We can’t wait to drive one of these beasts when the time comes. Until then, subscribe to Ford Authority for more Ford F-Series news, F-250 news, F-350 news, and around-the-clock Ford news coverage.