Back in September Ford announced a safety recall that covered some 2018-2020 Ford F-150 trucks, 2019-2020 F-Series Super Duty Trucks, 2018-2020 Ford Explorers, 2019-2020 Ford Expedition, and 2020 Lincoln Aviator vehicles. Ford has announced that it is adding the 2020 Ford Escape to that same 19C07 recall.
The defect: affected vehicles could be missing the third pawl that is needed for seatback strength.
The hazards: seats missing the third pawl may lack the strength to restrain an occupant in the event of a crash, increasing the risk of injury in a crash
Components: the 2020 Ford Escape recall affects driver and/or passenger manual recline front seats.
Affected vehicles (newly added vehicle in bold):
- 2020 Ford Escape built April 3rd, 2019 to September 21st, 2019 at the Louisville Assembly Plant
- 2018-20 Ford F-150 vehicles built at:
- Dearborn Assembly Plant from Sept. 14th, 2018, to Aug. 7th, 2019
- Kansas City Assembly Plant from Sept. 11th, 2018, through Aug. 2nd, 2019
- 2019-20 Ford F-Series Super Duty vehicles built at:
- Kentucky Assembly Plant from Sept. 9th, 2018, through July 22nd, 2019
- Ohio Assembly Plant from Sept. 11th, 2018, through July 17th, 2019
- 2018-19 Ford Explorer vehicles built at Chicago Assembly Plant from Sept. 9th, 2018, through March 3th, 2019
- 2019-20 Ford Expedition vehicles built at Kentucky Assembly Plant from Oct. 16th, 2018, through July 24th, 2019
- 2020 Ford Explorer vehicles built at Chicago Assembly Plant from Nov. 21th, 2018, through Aug. 21th, 2019, and
- 2020 Lincoln Aviator vehicles built at Chicago Assembly Plant from April 12th, 2019, through July 16th, 2019.
Number of affected vehicles: the recall impacts a total of 483,325 in the U.S. and federal territories, 58,712 in Canada, and 8,149 in Mexico. The addition of the 2020 Ford Escape recall adds 9,350 Escapes in North America. Ford says most Escapes are in dealer inventory and will be fixed before delivery.
The fix: dealers will inspect the seat structure and replace the seat structure if needed. Ford says most vehicles covered in the 2020 Ford Escape recall are expected to pass inspection.
Owners should: contact their local Ford dealer or Ford customer service at the number below.
- Ford Customer Service: 1-866-436-7332
- FoMoCo Recall Number: 19C07
- NHTSA Toll Free: 1-888-327-4236
- NHTSA (TTY): 1-800-424-9153
- NHTSA Website: www.safecar.gov