• We are currently looking for experienced automotive journalists and editors to join our team.  Make $60k-$80k per year doing what you love. We are also looking for an experienced forum moderator to join our team. See details here. ×

Ford India Confirms Mahindra & Mahindra Joint Venture

Sponsored Links

Late last month, a rumor was floating around that Ford and Indian automaker Mahindra & Mahindra were going to form a joint venture that would get Ford away from underperforming assets in the Indian market. Ford India has now confirmed that deal with the announcement that it and Mahindra will form a new joint venture. Mahindra will own 51 percent of that venture with Ford holding the remaining 49 percent.

Part of the deal will see Ford transfer its India operations to the joint venture, including all personal and assembly plants in Chennai and Sanand. Ford plans to retain the Ford engine plant operations in Sanand and the Global Business Services unit, Ford Credit, and Ford Smart Mobility.

Sponsored Links

The joint venture is the next step in the strategic alliance between Ford India and Mahindra since the two allied in 2017. The joint venture is expected to be operational by mid-2020 and is subject to regulatory approvals. Mahindra will manage the joint venture, and the governance of the operation will be equally composed of representatives of Mahinda and Ford India.

Duties of the joint venture will include growing the Ford brand in India and exporting products to Ford entities around the world. Ford says that it will continue to own the Ford brand, and its branded vehicles will continue to be distributed by the current Ford India dealer network. Mahindra & Mahindra will continue to own its brand and operate its own independent dealer network in the country.

Ford India notes that the joint venture will introduce three new utility vehicles under the Ford brand, starting with a new midsize SUV that will have a common Mahindra platform and powertrain. Another area of focus will be EVs. The partners will work to develop vehicles that will support the growth of sustainable mobility in emerging markets. Ford has had a hard time competing in emerging markets. The deal is valued at $275 million.

Sponsored Links

Subscribe to Ford Authority for around-the-clock Ford news coverage.

Sponsored Links

Subscribe to Ford Authority
For around-the-clock Ford news coverage

We'll send you one email per day with the latest Ford updates.

It's totally free.

  • Want to see your Ford vehicle or build featured on Ford Authority? We welcome your submissions. See here for details. ×

Written by Shane McGlaun

Shane is a car guy with a fondness for Mustangs and off-roading.

Sponsored Links

One Comment

Leave a Reply

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

2020 Lincoln Corsair Officially Launches

1993 Ford Escort RS Cosworth Sold At Bonhams