Ford Motor Company has issued a new recall that covers selected 2014 through 2015 Ford Fiesta, 2014 through 2016 Ford Fusion, and 2014 through 2016 Lincoln MKZ vehicles. This recall has to do with a door latch issue the results in a “door will not close” condition. Ford has had multiple recalls over the last several months, including a previous recall for the 2019 Ford Fiesta that had to do with the brake caliper.
The defect: Ford says that the latch pawl spring-tab design is susceptible to cracking and failure in areas with high ambient temperatures.
The hazards: a door latch with a fractured pawl spring tab typically results in a “door will not close” condition. Ford says that if the doors are unable to latch after repeated attempts, there is a potential for the door to open while driving increasing the risk of injury. Ford is unaware of any injuries resulting from this issue.
Affected components: the door latch pawl spring is the only affected component.
- 2014-15 Ford Fiesta vehicles built at Cuautitlán Stamping and Assembly Plant, Nov. 1st, 2013, to Dec. 4th, 2014
- 2014-16 Ford Fusion vehicles built at Flat Rock Assembly Plant and Hermosillo Assembly Plant, Nov. 1st, 2013, to April 27th, 2015
- 2014-16 Lincoln MKZ vehicles built at Hermosillo Assembly Plant, Nov. 1st, 2013, to April 27th, 2015
Number of vehicles affected: this action impacts 248,912 cars in the United States and federal territories along with 19,431 vehicles in Mexico. Four cars in Canada are also covered under the recall.
The fix: dealers will remove and replace the side door latches
- Ford Recall Number: 20S15
- Ford Customer Service: 1-800-392-3673
- NHTSA Toll Free: 1-888-327-4236
- NHTSA (TTY): 1-800-424-9153
- NHTSA Website: www.safecar.gov