Since launching for the 2018 model year, the Ford EcoSport has established a relatively solid spot in its segment, though the position is nowhere close to a leading one. After getting a handful of small changes for the 2019 and 2020 model years, Ford’s smallest utility gains some more relatively minor changes for the 2021 model year, which represents its fourth year on sale in the U.S. market. So without any further ado, here’s everything that’s new and different about the U.S.-market 2021 Ford EcoSport.
The model lineup remains unchanged, comprised of four trim levels – S, SE, SES and Titanium. The somewhat strange interplay between SES and Titanium remains, as the the SES has a higher starting price than Titanium.
The mechanical side of the equation also doesn’t change: the 2021 Ford EcoSport continues to be offered with two small-displacement gasoline engine – a turbo-charged 1.0L EcoBoost I-3 and a naturally-aspirated 2.0L four-cylinder.
Both engines mate to a six-speed SelectShift automatic transmission with standard engine Auto Start-Stop. FWD is available only with the boosted three, and AWD available is only offered in conjunction with the atmospheric four-banger (while the SES is offered exclusively with the 2.0L engine and AWD).
|Model Year||Manufacturer||Make||Model||Engine||Aspiration||Horsepower @ RPM||Torque @ RPM||Transmission||Drive Type|
|2021||Ford Motor Company||Ford||EcoSport||1.0L EcoBoost I-4||Turbo||123 @ 6,000||125 @ 6,000||6-speed auto SelectShift||FWD|
|2021||Ford Motor Company||Ford||EcoSport||2.0L I-4||Atmospheric||166 @ 6,500||149 @ 4,500||6-speed auto SelectShift||AWD|
The very first changes are to the exterior, with two paint colors deleted and two new ones are added.
- Blue Candy Metallic Tinted Clearcoat
- Canyon Ridge
- Luxe Yellow
Both of the new colors are marked as late availability.
From there, two new 17-inch wheels are added to the lineup, and one set of 17-inch wheels is deleted.
- 17-inch Painted Machined Aluminum Wheel (previously standard on SES)
- 17-inch Black-painted Aluminum Wheel to replace the deleted wheel on SES
- 17-inch Shadow Silver Aluminum Wheel for use on new SE Appearance package
From there, the 2021 Ford EcoSport gains Overlander Decal on the hood, side, and tailgate as an option on the SE and Titanium trims. We have no visuals of the package yet, but it could be similar to what Ford offers on the EcoSport Storm in India.
The final change is the removal of the acoustic element from the windshield, leaving the crossover with a windshield that’s laminated only. On prior models years, the EcoSport featured a windshield that’s both acoustically and laminated.
Inside, the 2021 Ford EcoSport loses two interior features: the illuminated glove box and illuminated vanity mirrors for the driver and passenger.
In addition, the 6-way power driver’s seat is now standard only on SES and Titanium models. That means that the SE trim, which was equipped with the 6-way power driver’s seat for the 2020 model year, now has a 4-way manual seat as standard. However, the new SE Appearance Package (see Packages section below) retains the 6-way power driver’s seat on the SE trim.
The Cargo Cover & Package Tray is now standard on SE, SES and Titanium models. It was previously standard on the base S model and above.
Finally, the ActiveX seating material with Mini Perforations is now standard on Titanium. For the 2020 model year, the Titanium trim featured the leather-trimmed seating surfaces with perforation as standard. The SES model continues with the ActiveX Seating Material as standard (though without the perforations on the Titanium model).
Safety / Security
The 2021 Ford EcoSport remains the same as the 2021 model in the safety and security department, with the following equipment remaining standard.
- AdvanceTrac with RSC (Roll Stability Control)
- Driver and Front Row Passenger Dual-Stage
- Driver and Passenger Knee
- Front and Second Row Side
- Side-Curtain – Front and Second Row Safety Canopy System with Rollover Sensor
- Center High-Mounted Stop Lamp (CHMSL)
- Day/Night Rearview Mirror with manual adjust
- Door Locks, Power
- Child-Safety Rear (Manual)
- Front Passenger Sensing System
- Courtesy Delay
- Halogen Quad-Beam Reflector
- Manually adjustable head restraints (except for Rear Seat Center Head Restraint, which is fixed)
- Cargo Tie-Down – Four (4)
- Rear Cargo Area Shopping Bag – Two (2)
- Individual Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)
- LATCH (Lower Anchors and Tether Anchors for Children) on Rear Outboard Seat Positions
- Mirrors, Sideview – Power Glass, Manual-Folding with Integrated Blind Spot Mirrors and Molded-in-Color Black Caps
- Rear View Camera
- Rear-Window Defroster
- Safety Belts
- Front Row – Belt-Minder (Front Safety Belt Reminder), 3-point, height adjustable and retractable with adaptive load limiter
- Second Row Outboard and Center Seat Shoulder – 3-point and retractable
- SecuriLock Passive Anti-Theft System (PATS)
- SOS Post-Crash Alert System
There are no changes to the Ford Co-Pilot360 suite of safety equipment. The following features remain standard, broken out by trim:
- All models:
- Autolamp headlamps (automatic on/off)
- Hill Start Assist
- SE and above:
- Reverse Sensing System
- SES and Titanium:
- Blind Spot Information System (BLIS) with Cross-Traffic Alert
- Front rain-sensing wipers
The only change to the 2021 EcoSport in the infotainment department is related to the complimentary trial of SiriusXM, which is now three months versus the prior six. The change applies to all Ford-brand vehicles for the 2021 model year.
On the package side, the 2021 Ford EcoSport gains one new package – the SE Appearance Package while adding the SES Black Appearance Package as standard on the SES trim.
The SE Appearance Package includes the following features:
- 17-inch Shadow Silver Aluminum Wheel (see “Exterior” above)
- 6-way Power Driver’s Seat (Fore/Aft, Up/Down, Recline with Manual Lumbar)
- Orange Instrument Panel Appliqués
- Leather-wrapped steering wheel
- Unique Cloth seating surfaces with Orange Copper Accents
The SES Black Appearance Package becomes standard on the SES trim. Offered as a standalone option on the 2020 EcoSport SES, the package includes:
- Black-painted roof
- Black spoiler
- Black Hood Decal
The 2021 Ford EcoSport should begin arriving at dealers during the third quarter of the 2020 calendar year, though that timeline might get a bit distorted due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Made at the Ford Chennai, India plant, the current-generation EcoSport was initially introduced for the 2012 model year. As a result, the 2021 model year will represent the tenth model year of this model – making it a relatively old product in car years. We expect the current-generation Ford EcoSport to continue being offered until the 2022 model year, at which point it should be replaced by an all-model for 2023.