Ford Super Duty Fuel Pumps Are Defective, Claims New Class Action Lawsuit

A new class action lawsuit has been filed against Ford Motor Company in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida, and it’s one that Ford Super Duty owners will want to take note of. The complaint, Nunez, et al., v. Ford Motor Companyalleges that 2011-present Ford Super Duty fuel pumps in trucks equipped with the 6.7-liter Power Stroke diesel engines are defective. The Bosch CP4 high-pressure fuel injection pumps reportedly can’t handle U.S. diesel fuel specifications, allegedly leading to a number of problems.

According to the lawsuit, this particular Ford Super Duty fuel pump suffers from lubrication and water content problems, which forces the pumps to run dry and causes metal to rub against metal. This metal-to-metal contact occurs because of air pockets that form inside the pumps while they are operating.

Over time, metal shavings and debris from the fuel pumps make their way into the fuel injection systems and into the engines themselves, which leads to a number of issues, including fuel pump failure and even total engine failure.

Bosch’s CP4 fuel pumps have been a great success in European markets, thanks to their ability to achieve greater fuel efficiency by pumping less fuel through the engines. But the class action lawsuit alleges that cleaner U.S. diesel fuel causes the fuel pumps to operate outside of specification and causes inadequate lubrication.

“Consumers are left with repair bills that range from $8,000 to $20,000 per vehicle,” the lawsuit alleges. “Some victims of Ford’s grand scam are American businesses who own several vehicles and have suffered multiple failures.” The suit also claims that Ford knew that these fuel pumps wouldn’t work properly due to differences in American diesel fuel quality.

The issues described reportedly began to arise as far back as the ’90s when cleaner diesel standards were first implemented in the U.S. The Truck & Engine Manufacturers Association acknowledged back in 2002 that the lower lubricity of American diesel fuel could cause fuel injection system component failures in pumps manufactured for European diesel specifications.

You can bet that this won’t be the last we hear of these Ford Super Duty fuel pump problems. But with any luck, we’ll soon find some clarity on the problem and perhaps a viable solution for owners that have experienced it.

We’ll be keeping a close eye on this lawsuit, so be sure and subscribe to Ford Authority for the latest Ford business news, Ford lawsuit news, Ford F-Series news, and around-the-clock Ford news coverage.

We'll send you one email per day with the latest Ford updates.
It's totally free.

Comments

1. Ryan

The ultra low sulfer fuel is horrible. Bad lubrication and very expensive. And it’s so silly, we pay extra to have the fuel ‘cleaned’, and then spend even more money on Power Service or Lucas to add all that stuff right back into the fuel…

2. GaryB

Wow these lawsuits are coming in nonstop. I am starting to worry for FoMC. how many more of these lawsuits can Ford afford?

3. Michael Fornetti

Certain year duramax also have the same problem.

4. Liam Parkki

Should be suing Bosch..not Ford.

5. Harvey

First of all the U.S. must be producing fuel that meets the current cleanliness standards, not to the standards of 1990! ; the same as current emissions requirements, but that is not happening; Time to sue the fuel standards to become compliant. This is not Bosch’s problem whatsoever! This is the EPA’s problem, because they are taking the lubricity out of the fuel, so the engines can meet the extremely severely overly ridiculous emissions requirements of today.

6. RP

Ford knows this problem has existed for many years and has refused to acknowledge it. Insurers were, or are, considering a class action suit against Ford, as well, because of all the claims they have paid as a result of Ford’s assertion of “fuel contamination” – water in the fuel. Fuel Contamination is usually covered under a US auto insurance policy’s COMPREHENSIVE coverage. Insurers have paid millions to perform these body-off repairs. Ford needs to be held accountable.

7. Michael Fornetti

This is exactly why I would never buy a diesel from any manufacturer.
    They all have excessive cost and maintenance requirements related to US cold start emission standards and the lack of lubricity in the fuels with low sulfur content.
    Ford is not alone with this issue.

8. Scott

My 2020 F250 Lariat 6.7L turbo diesel – 7 months old with 7,500 miles – has been at my local Ford dealer for 4 weeks after it simply died while driving down the road and wouldn’t restart. After attempting several fixes, I’m told today that the injection pump has failed and caused metal shavings in the fuel delivery system, that Ford is going to have to replace the entire fuel delivery system. No clue how long that will take but, again, 7 months old with 1 of those months spent at the dealership. And then I find this article. Really, really (really!) frustrated.

1. Christin

We have a 2017 f350 going through a similar issue- only 22,000 miles. FORD is saying it is not covered on warranty and our auto insurance is not covering it as they believe it’s not “contaminated gas” that caused it. we are stuck with $12,000 in a bill and a truck that won’t run.

2. Christin James

Are they covering yours on warranty?

3. Dave Symes

Scott, I was on my way to Allagash Maine for a moose hunt, hauling my 32’ 5th wheel camper behind my 2011 F-350 when it went into “low power mode”. Shortly after, it died and wouldn’t restart. That was October 10th and today is November 2nd. The truck got towed, with camper attached, to Whited Ford in Presque Isle, Maine. I have talked extensively with service dept. and they say it’s almost fixed. I was told the fuel pump failed and a complete fuel system replacement was the only fix, to the time of about 7 grand. Dealer said there was about 190 fuel replacement kits on back order. They found one online somewhere in the country. Wish you luck with your vehicle. I am fast becoming a disgruntled Ford owner !!

9. Richard L Underwood

Rick October 26 2020 8:pm 2017 f 350 lariat. We are going though same problem. there was no contaminated fuel. it just turned 90000. We had pulled in to a RV park in the desert 20 miles out Winslow AZ for the night. The next morning it wouldn’t start we call every one in the area and no one works on small trucks. We finally got a hold of Winslow ford and they agreed to look at it. after a week they found that the high pressure pump was out, they did contact ford and the good news they will warranty the bad news its back ordered with no ship date . we are full time RVs and here we are. this truck is a really good truck we loved it but take warning, i hope Ford will follow up with this.

1. Christin James

Did they say there was metal shavings due to the pump failure?

10. Michael Fornetti

I just ordered a F350 DRW with the 7.3L gas motor and 10 speed.
    It is rated to tow 21,000# conventional and 5th wheel trailer.
    It has the 4:30 axle ratio.
    The Ford diesel fuel pump operates at 36,000psi and fires 8 times per piston stroke, way too complicated in my opinion. Silverado and Ram have similar systems and problems.
    There is no justification for a diesel, in my opinion and I also saved $10,000 on the purchase.

11. dusty

I have a 2014 f-250 and 2 days ago went to crank it with no luck the truck has 116 k miles on it so I had it towed to a Diesel shop and they found the steel shavings and changed filters but Ford said it would coast between 9k to 10k dollars to get it flushed and running.I’m upset had Fords for years but the last one was really garbage,2007 f-250, 6.0 I think Ford has to fix there problems or lose there customers.

12. Dino

I have a 2012 F250 Super Duty that just experienced this problem. After doing a little research, I’m very disappointed in Ford for not having a recall and having a fix to their terrible design flaw.

13. Ina Brewer

We have aF250 2014 with 92,000 miles Its stuck in TX and were in CA could not get into a
    Ford dealer. So its in a diesel tuck repair they said it would cost $8500 to fix
    Can’t find out if its covered on the warranty.
    Is there anyone out that can give me some information on this problem.

1. Christin James

Our experience with FORD is that they deny it being covered under warranty. Check in with the BBB in your area on if they have a BBB Auto Line program where you can dispute it if they say no to warranty coverage.

14. Cindy

I just bought a Ford diesel transit work vehicle has 23000 miles went in the shop in February to replace fuel pump and yes said metal shavings in it. My busiest time of year is Christmas well oct comes and fuel pump issue again same thing parts on back order until December 30th. So I’m out of income the weeks I make my most income. Going to call my attorney after reading all this

15. Ina Brewer

We have a F250 2014 with 93,000 miles.
    Just spent $11,000 to have the whole fuel
    System replaced.
    They told us it have water in the diesel
    And metal shavings in fuel filter.
    It was still under 100,000 but older than 5 years so no warranty.

16. Wilfredo Villanueva

2013 F-450 Regular pickup, just went into the dealer metal contamination in the tank system, Fuel pump exploit, and now metals all over, I have a warranty, ESP, but was denied they said water contamination, there is corrosion, now what? 10 plus thousands to spend! the truck is Under 50,000 miles, i File a complaint with Attorney General Office, and I am planning to reach out to some local TV to see if they can help put pressure on ford, this is not right.

17. Christin James

Bbb auto line… we are going through this now.

18. Wilfredo Villanueva

Christin thank.
    I will contact BBB today if they are open, how do you do?
    Did you complain against the local ford shop of the Ford Motor Company in Dearborn?

19. Christin James

Found out today… there are 914 of these on back order… who knows where we are at on that list. But they have plenty to produce the new models- using the same part….

20. Sam N.

Have a 2021 F650 Commercial truck that has been maintained regularly and only has 50,000 miles! Just went down for the same fuel pump crap and am getting a feeling that Ford is trying to wiggle their way out of covering it and reviewing our maintenance records which are solid…Waiting to see what they say before I go higher up the chain.

1. Wilfredo Villanueva

I am sure your will be fix cause is new
      My 2013 still seating on the drive waiting to be fix, dealer want 17k to repair
      I purchase the entire system for $4500, Haven’t put in yet, waiting for SPE mod to at the same time so i never have to through this again.
      Good luck with your truck!

21. Mike Mathews

2019 F350 6.7
    Just came from dealer. They say water contamination. Will not warrenty it. Problem is here in wyoming we fill our tanks with truck stop diesel. I fill my 50 gallon auxiliary tank. It has 2 clear bowl water filters and 2 10 micron debri filters. Then i fill my tank with this fuel. 4 times Filtered. Dealer said just a teaspoon of water can kill a pump. Really? These are suppose to be work trucks not weiner trucks. 11,188.00 to fix.
    Ford says no warrenty.
    Insurance says well look into it. Oil field workers need reliable transportation. Here the winters could mean life or death if you break down. Broke down in my driveway. Im not happy wifes pissed. Only one here is happy was the tow guys and Ford itself. They got my money.

22. Michael Fornetti

Next time buy the 7.3L gas with 4:30 gears.
    Only 3 MPG less than diesel, simpler too.
    My 2021 F350 is rated to pull 20,200 conventional trailer WT

23. K.Lloyd

2019 Ford F-350 with about 33000 miles on it. And of course the dealer is trying to give us the same “bad fuel” excuse everyone else is getting. The funny thing being is we run the exact same diesel in both of our semi’s and don’t have any problems. And one minute the dealer says it is under warranty, the next minute it isn’t. We have been on the phone directly with Ford and the rep we spoke with said they are aware of the problem but they are having problems getting the components to fix it. We have been without a pickup for 6 weeks tomorrow and we need a pickup! We’ve been lifelong Ford people, but no more! If we ever get this one back, it is gone! Done with their lies.

24. Dawn Vititoe

I have a 2019 Ford F350 and a 2016 F450. I have had the fuel system on the Ford F450 replaced twice. Last year I spent 44k on tires, upkeep , oil and filter changes etc. I run these trucks for HOTSHOT. Now the Ford F350 has a compromised fuel system due to to the CP4. Over 10k to replace and neither Insurance (which I pay 30k a year) or Ford will help. I feel like giving up!
    Im not sure what to do at this point:(

25. Michael Fornetti

Under current emissions regulations I would not buy any new diesel.
    Ram, Chevy all have similar expensive issues

26. Christin James

We were long time Ford drivers- until Ford did us like this… after 9 months of fighting through arbitration, parts being backlogged to the point of no known date of when they’d come in- we finally got out of the Ford by replacement- however immediately traded it in on an order GMC AT4 3500 diesel… by a manufacturer who rather than blaming the customer on bad fuel- recognizes the issue- no longer uses the faulty part, unlike Ford who continues to use it… and GM has stated they cover the repairs of those with the Bosch CP4 as they should. Our manual in our new GMC recommends Top Tier diesel and if not available an ACDelco additive… I think there are ways to prevent it but the problem is Ford won’t take responsibility and doesn’t notify their customers beforehand. I forever will never purchase Ford.. nobody is perfect but taking responsibility, fixing and informing customers is true class. I feel bad for anyone going through this- I recommend Going through BBB AutoLine and hoping for a resolution.. and get out of the Ford when you can.

27. Scott

My 2020 6.7L with 37000 just lost a High pressure fuel pump CP4. Just got it back from dealer after 4 weeks they replaced again with another CP4 since I was told Ford has not made any changes to this part number. I am worried this will leave me stranded again but I do plan on running a additive from here on out.
    I was lucky enough that is was all covered under warranty.

1. Michael Fornetti

I’ve got the 7,3L gas on a F350 DRW with 4:30 ratio and got 8.3 mpg pulling 3,000 miles at speeds of 60 to 75mph and a 9,000# enclosed trailer.
      My dealer tells me that the diesel would only be about 3 mpg better.
      My truck is rated to pull 20,200 conventional trailer.
      All reason I would never pay the extra $11K for a diesel.

28. Robert

Hey guys , I have the same problem . I have a 2017 diesel has 86000 on it . Just had to have the transmission replaced thankfully that was covered . So I’m already ticked . Now I was driving and the reduce engine power light came on I slowed down then it shut completely off , I coasted down the hill turn power completely off . Restarted it seemed fine no light for on dash for about 3days . it happed again this time no start . Just cranks no start . I got it towed ,dealer said needs new fuel pump I said ok I knew it’s under warranty . Now a week later no fix got a call today . It’s has metal in the system and in the tank , you must have but either gas def or picked up metal at a bad station . Neither is true , he says highly likely it won’t be converted . After read this site seems like the pump went bad and sent metal into the system . Could it also have sent metal into the tank as he claims . Just looking for some help on this situation. And what If any options to go back to then if they won’t fix it since it’s seems it’s their problem. Thanks

1. Christin James

If you qualify- look into BBB Auto Line. I speak from experience. It was a long road but worth it in the end. Or get onto one of the class action lawsuits… So irritating- I will never buy FORD again.

29. Kevin Lloyd

The exact same thing happened to us on a 2019 with only 33000 miles. Same excuse; you must have put bad diesel in it. Only 2 problems with that; 1.we own semis and run the same diesel in them with no problems and 2. the other three diesel pickups running with us (a Chevy, a GMC and a Dodge) are still fine. Our Ford has been in the shop since 2/17/21. Total crap!

1. Christin James

Contact BBB Auto Line. I speak from experience- worth the time.

30. Michael Nassar

I also having this problem, estimating 11,000.00 to repair, please keep me informed on this issue
    Thanks