We Render The Bronco Sport-Like 2022 Ford Maverick Compact Pickup

Though there’s still a lot we still don’t know about the upcoming 2022 Ford Maverick compact pickup, things are slowly starting to come into focus. As exclusively reported by Ford Authoritydevelopment of the vehicle began in 2018 and Ford executive, Jim Farley – who now serves as FoMoCo’s COO – confirmed a sub-Ranger model in early 2019. It was originally believed that this small Ford pickup would carry the Courier nameplate, but vehicle will instead be called Maverick, a name Ford trademarked back in 2016.

But instead of the old compact car from the ’70s, the new Ford Maverick will instead be a small, unibody pickup. Problem is, we don’t really know how it will look like, so we went ahead and came up with a series of renderings to visualize it.

The 2022 Ford Maverick will ride on a variant of the Ford C2 platform shared most directly with the Ford Bronco Sport. Other models that also utilize this architecture include the fourth-generation Ford Focus, third-generation Ford Escape / Kuga, and first-generation Lincoln Corsair.

2021 Ford Bronco Sport

The Maverick will share quite a bit with the new Bronco Sport, including styling elements. In fact, we’ve even heard whispers that it wouldn’t be all too incorrect to call this vehicle the “Bronco Sport pickup.”

Despite its car-based, unibody roots, the new Maverick won’t be some dull, soft-looking vehicle. Instead, it will have rugged, masculine styling traits, including an upright front end and a relatively boxy body.

The truck’s unibody construction will result in a seamless cab-to-bed transition. A four-door cab is expected to be the only option. The bottom portion of the tailgate will have “Maverick” written out across it.

Besides platform and styling traits, the 2022 Ford Maverick will also share powertrains with the Bronco Sport. These include the turbo-charged 1.5L EcoBoost I-3 “Dragon” and the ubiquitous turbo-charged 2.0L EcoBoost I-4. Ford’s new eight-speed automatic transmission is expected to be the only gearbox, sending power to either the front wheels as standard, or to all four wheels in AWD models. Like all vehicles riding on Ford’s C2 platform, the engine and transmission will be transversely-mounted.

As far as timing goes, the 2022 Ford Maverick is expected to arrive in the second half of the 2021 calendar year as a 2022 model. It will likely be produced alongside the Bronco Sport at the Ford Hermosillo plant in Mexico.

The return of a “true” compact Ford pickup to the lineup be music to the ears of those who miss the old Ford Ranger, and find the new one simply too big. And if it winds up looking anything like our renderings, we think that it will be quite the hit, too.

We’ll be here to report the details of this new compact Ford pickup every step of the way, so be sure to subscribe to Ford Authority for the latest Ford Maverick news and around-the-clock Ford news coverage.

We'll send you one email per day with the latest Ford updates.
It's totally free.

Comments

1. Me

More work for foreign, non UAW labor. Let’s see, Maverick, Baby Bronco, Mach E…Buy American or buy nothing.

1. Alex Luft

Profits from the sale of these vehicles is still going back to the US.

Conversely, you don’t see Japanese complaining that Toyota vehicles sold in the US are made in the US, instead of Japan.

2. Ryan

So we’ve heard rumors of a Bronco based pickup, which I guess I assumed would be based on the full size Bronco. And now it sounds like the Maverick will be Bronco styled, is this the rumored Bronco based pickup or is there still potentially a bigger one based on the full size Bronco?

1. Alex Luft

From what we know at this point, there will also be a pickup on the body on frame Bronco.

3. Mark L Bedel

Looks good except for the large, somewhat “wondering eye” look of the headlights. Maybe something a bit smaller and more menacing in appearance?

1. Jim

Marty Feldman-like headlights 🙂

4. Roy Chiles

Super Duty, F150, Ranger, Bronco, Bronco truck, Bronco Sport, Maverick truck, the only thing missing from Ford’s Family of truck line up is the return of the car based Ranchero off the Explorer platform which is to be used on the next Mustang

1. Karl Henry

The Bronco Sport truck is the Maverick truck! Maverick is the actual name of the truck.

5. Jim

I was very excited right up until I read “. A four-door cab is expected to be the only option.” I sure hope they consider a two door variant.

6. Marcello

Several international media reported that Brazil will be the first country to receive it.
    If Ford really wants to gain market in South America, the ideal would be to manufacture it regionally, since the free trade agreement with Mexico imposes annual quotas.
    In addition, it should also be equipped with diesel engines, which are the market’s preference.

7. Rick Ohnsman

Ford better step up production. The new Hyundai Santa Cruz looks to come out in 2021, a full year before the projection for this Maverick. I have no problem buying Hyundai and other buyers who have been waiting a long time for a true mini-truck might feel the same.

1. Jim

Amen. I drove a Ranger Splash for 15 years and loved it. When the new Ranger came out, I was disappointed in the size. I am hopeful for the Maverick. Most days, I just need the capability to haul some lights items. Being able to reach over the side of the bed would also be great. I am a Ford fan, through and through, but the newer Ridgeline is a smaller option. A Ranchero would be wonderful….I can dream. Hoping the Maverick can fill the gap in the mini or small pickup market.

8. Fd1967

Please make a 2 door with a usable bed, many of us still use the old 2 door Ranger as a truck, do we really need another 4 door with a 4′ bed?!? I know the 4 door is a given, but please make a 2 door option too for those of us that need a small runabout with a usable sized bed

9. RS

Any information on engine size or tow capacity?

10. Tony

I laugh at all 4 door pickups…missy trucks

11. Jeffrey D. Sproul

I am very disappointed that this might only be a crew cab. I understand that it would increase the costs to have too many cab configurations but at least offer an extended cab with a bed that is not smaller than 5 feet. I have a crew cab midsize pickup and I want something smaller–I don’t want another crew cab I never use the back seat but I use the bed.

12. Jeffrey D. Sproul

I don’t laugh at the concept of a crew cab truck especially for families needing them but for those of us that only need a pickup for hauling things and never using the back seat I would rather have a foot more on the bed length.

13. Daniel Alan North

If this Maverick’s bed is 49″-50″ wide (with no wheel wells), then I may consider it…

14. Matt R

Get rid of those headlights and this truck is it! These renders nailed what it should look like.

15. Robert S

If that is the small truck it is boring! Take a look at either the Ram 700 or the fiat Toro to see
    What a small utility truck should look like.America let’s build Fun vehicles here in the USA with American parts and American labor. No Excuses , either way you are going to have an MSRP
    That’s $5000 over what it should be. The Ram 700 is $12000 in Mexico and available in three styles.The same truck with American safety equipment would retail for North of $20000 in the USA .