The Tremor package is a substantial upgrade that adds a slew of visual and performance enhancing modifications to the 2020 Ford F-250 and F-350 Super Duty trucks, giving the big Ford truck a rival against the likes of the Ram Power Wagon and GMC Sierra HD AT4.
The 2020 Ford Super Duty offers three engine choices, and two of them are available in conjunction with the Tremor: either the 6.7L Power Stroke Scorpion diesel engine rated at 475 horsepower and a staggering 1,050 pound feet of torque, or the all-new Ford 7.3L Godzilla engine rated at 430 horsepower and 475 pound feet of torque. Both motors are mated to the Ford 10-speed automatic transmission that sends power to either the rear or all four wheels. While the maximum gooseneck towing rating for the dual rear wheel F-350 is a class-leading 37,000 pounds, max trailering for the F-250 Tremor is 24,200 pounds.
Furthermore, the $3,975 Tremor package is available on any Super Duty trim level except for the base XL, and only on the Crew Cab, 6-3/4′ box and single rear wheel configuration.
Our test unit is the range-topping Platinum trim and is powered by the diesel engine. It’s painted in the Blue Jeans exterior color which provides a nice contrast with the Tremor-specific, black 18-inch wheels. Other Tremor package features include:
- Aggressive 35-inch Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac maximum-traction tires, the largest diameter tires available on a heavy-duty pickup
- Unique 18-inch matte-black wheels
- A 2-inch front-end lift with a shorter air dam and a rear-end lift of “around 2 inches”
- Progressive-rate springs to balance heavy-duty towing performance needs and to control body motion on rutted, rock-strewn trails
- Specially-tuned rear stabilizer bar for a lower spring rate, enabling less passenger head toss over obstacles during severe suspension articulation
- Custom 1.7-inch piston twin-tube dampers to control body motion
- Locking rear differential with electronic shift-on-the-fly engagement
- New Dana limited-slip front differential; in certain models, the front axle can sense when a tire has lost traction and uses the brakes to send power to the wheel with traction
- Deployable off-road running boards that tuck up next to the body
- Extended-axle vent tubes
- Rugged skid plates, the same as fitted to FX4 models
As you can see, it’s a fairly complete package that make the 2020 Ford Super Duty look meaner than all of its other variations, while transforming the behemoth into a true mud-running machine.
We will have the 2020 Ford F-250 Tremor for a week, which will allow us to put it through the paces and determine just how it performs in the real world, including taking it to an offroad trail to sample its adventure-seeking abilities. We’ll also drive it around town and on the highway to evaluate just how fuel-efficient its turbodiesel V8 actually is.
If you’d like to know more about this vehicle beyond the spec sheet, ask your questions in the comments section below, and we’ll reply in a timely manner as part of the Ford Authority interactive review.
Ready… set… go!