Ford F-150 And Ranger Named In New Fuel Economy Lawsuit

Ford has been mired in a fuel economy lawsuit alleging that the automaker knowingly overstated its fuel economy estimates for the 2017-2019 Ford F-150 and the 2019 Ford Ranger for some time now. But now, a new yet similar fuel economy lawsuit has been filed in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan: Ceremello, et al., v. Ford Motor Company which alleges 2019-2020 Ford Ranger and 2018-2020 Ford F-150 models were sold with inaccurate fuel economy ratings listed on the window stickers.

More specifically, the lawsuit claims that Ford cheated on fuel economy testing, then advertised and sold the trucks with the wrong fuel economy estimates. “Over a million Ford truck owners are now driving vehicles that will cost them thousands of dollars more to own or lease than they anticipated. Because of Ford’s deception, all purchasers and lessees of these vehicles paid more for these vehicles than they are actually worth,” the lawsuit says.

The suit claims that Ford was able to cheat its fuel economy numbers by manipulating coastdown testing, which measures rolling resistance and drag on a dynamometer. Those numbers are then used by automakers to to determine the metrics used to estimate fuel economy.

Additionally, the lawsuit claims that Ford miscalculated road load, which is the force that is imparted on a vehicle while driving at a constant speed over a smooth, level surface from sources such as tire-rolling resistance, driveline losses, and aerodynamic drag.

The lawsuit uses a 2018 Ford F-150 equipped with Ford’s 2.7L EcoBoost V6 as an example. That particular truck has a fuel economy rating of 20 miles-per-gallon city, 26 highway, and 22 combined. The suit alleges that the actual fuel economy of this truck is 17.7 mpg in the city and 22.7 on the highway, which is a pretty big difference.

Finally, the new suit claims that Ford intentionally manipulated fuel economy ratings in an effort to beat the competition and sell more trucks, as well as earn more credits under U.S. CAFE environmental regulations.

We’ll have more on this as soon as it’s available, so be sure and subscribe to Ford Authority for the latest Ford F-Series news, Ford F-150 news, Ford Ranger news, Ford lawsuit news, and continuous Ford news coverage.

We'll send you one email per day with the latest Ford updates.
It's totally free.

Comments

1. Len

Well, I just bought a ’20 F150 with 3.5L Ecoboost and I get wayyyyyy BETTER fuel economy than the sticker says.

1. David

I have a 2019 f150 lariat. 2.7 EcoBoost, it’s a lot worse on gas than my last 2.7, im not sure if it’s cause of the 10 speed, that 6 was way nicer! But! I get 24to 25.5 mpg in this truck which is better than what they said, sure.. if I drive like a moron racing to my next stop, it’s gonna be lower

2. Gggg

Sure you go..🤭

1. Fred baxter

2020 f150 supercab 5.0 v8 4×4 21.2 mpg Average

1. Rich Galinovsky

Had a 2015 ECO-BOOST 3.5 F-150 LARIAT 4X4 CREWCAB.Got GREAT GAS MILAGE, WAS A GREAT TRUCK.. WIFE SAW A RACE RED 2020 Lariat 4×4 crew with Sport package….. BOUGHT IT!!!!
          YOU EITHER GET….. ECO… OR …. YOU GET BOOST!!! NOT BOTH AT THE SAME TIME!!! HA-HA
          DEPENDS ON YOU AND HOW YOU DRIVE…… ALWAYS HAD GREAT MPG AND GREAT PICKUP ON THE 15…

3. Mark

The trip computer may tell you that, but do you run the numbers when you refuel? It will be eye opening!!!

1. Scott H

You must drive fast because I do the numbers all the time and che k my tire pressure too

4. Ttran

U wish, haha

2. Travis

I drive in sport mode most of the time, and I have no idea what the sticker said when I bought it new.

1. David

Love the sport mode, so much more responsive.. and no startstop crap! Lol

2. Aaron L Becker

I like your style.

3. Carl Ivey

I don’t mind my gas mileage either. If the powers to be decided fast was $10.00 per gallon, we’d still have to buy it!👍🏽👍🏽👍🏽👍🏽

1. Carl Ivey

Gas*…..not fast.

1. Zach

Is there a difference?

3. Justin

Pretty sure that lawsuit wont go anywhere special. Too many people complaining and too many not taking a very large amount of other factors into play here. For example, Traction Control was originally designed for high output vehicles because of too many owners complaining about loss of traction off the line. Not one of them ever putting 2 and 2 together to realise “oh… I’m losing traction at the line cause I’m driving an 800hp monster. Maybe I just need to learn how to control my throttle a bit more *said no one ever*”. Then said system gets a load of crap added to it including long articles about safety and peace of mind… blah blah blah…. I drive an older 1st gen Expedition BY CHOICE. I rebuilt it not but a few months ago and got rid of every known problem the modular motors had during those times. I’m well aware of its lower fuel efficiency… and guess what, I STILL average ALOT better than sticker ratings. So, that all being said… people need to stop looking at the products as the problem and start looking at the operator, IE them selves.

OEM means 2 things. 1, Originally Equipped Manufacture. 2, also means Operator Error Malfunction.

1. Daniel

This is funny, I never bought a truck for it’s fuel economy! I have a 2017 ram with a hemi and it says I’m supposed to get 19 miles to a gallon , I get maybe 15-16 and in the city it’s 11! So I would never complain. I would have much rather the Ford Ecoboost over this truck any day, just couldn’t afford it! My Dad has an eco boost and he gets 25 mpg going 80.

1. Brenda Buiskool

Believe that about your dads

2. Caliboy70

I’ve got a lead foot and don’t care about fuel economy in my 2004 f150 super crew don’t like the new trucks at all sticker prices are just to expensive

3. C May

I like your logic. Nailed it. The Dash is never spot on, in any vehicle. I check/scribble every time I gas up, and keep all the figures in a little notebook (big nerd here). I have a 2014 3.5Eco F150, and get 15-16/17 most of the time in the city. Only snagged a highest of 19.45 on the highway (75mph/ 95-98degrees). The 97-2003 4.6/5.4 get best milage at about 90mph. Cuz it’s right at the Torque Peak.

4. Darren

Mine has the v8 and I get better gas mileage also. Plus I bought it because it’s a Ford not because of gas mileage ratings.

5. Brenda Buiskool

I have a 2019 F150 and with my formula of “CARE” and brand of gas I use I also get better than sticker town and highway. This has worked on all my F150’s 2013,2015,2019. People look at me side eyed and probably don’t believe me.

1. Brenda Buiskool

Forgot to tell that all were 3.5 Eco and I don’t drive like I stole it. My 23 mpg hwy typically 25-26 or more City 21mpg or better

2. Dean

Do tell what is your secret

6. Deadfall

It likely people wanting to destroy the auto industry so we all have to walk and have no mobility, unless it’s controlled by the government, and now they control you…
    Ps I have a 2010 150 with a 4.6 gets average of 18.5 mostly country driving.

1. Randall Hart

Mostly just dems that want to destroy auto industry. Trump 2020

1. P Ducharme

It was the dems( Obama/ Biden) that saved the auto industry in 2009 remember?

7. Chris

I don’t think there is a manufacturer out there that hasn’t been accused of this! I own a 2018 fx4 with the 3.5 eco and it should be one of the worst out of the bunch. It’s factory lifted, which kills economy but I have a best of 26mpg on the highway.

I’ll admit, in the city it isn’t that great but sometimes my foot is heavy! That is not Ford’s fault..

I do have a few mods such as exhaust and cold air kit along with a tonneau cover. It can be, and has been, argued wether or not they actually do anything. Especially for mileage.

I have to wonder how many of these lawsuits are from long time truck owners? I’ve been driving trucks, big vans for most of my life and I gotta say that the tech has come a long long way! My 18 is a lot more fun to drive and behaves like a car instead of a bulky truck.

Before I bought it, I did a ton of research and everyone said the same thing. “You can have eco, or you can have boost but ya can’t have both!”

Manufacturers will test under “perfect” driving conditions. As commuters, we rarely see that! A strong cross wind is enough to throw the numbers off. Add a heavy foot,hard braking and you have a bunch of people crying that their mileage isn’t what they were told! All you have to do is get on any highway and look around to see this!

Leave a few minutes earlier and slow down! You would be surprised how that will affect your economy!

8. Kevin Beaver

I have a 2016 2.7 Ecoboost with a custom tune, throttle commander, and a K&N cold air intake…. 28 mpg on the interstate and 24 in the city… Now if I drive it like I stole it those numbers a greatly reduced.. 17 in town… But OMG how this truck will get up and go… Coyote eater all day!!!

9. Mike

If you have to calculate the fuel mileage down to the penny to own a truck then you have no business owning one. All mileages are calculated in ideal conditions not real life driving conditions.
    So go buy a priest Maybe you can afford it!!!

10. Dustin

My 2019 Ranger only gets 20.2 on the highway, and 18.6 city. Which is pretty far off from the 21/26 they said. I drive the speed limit and don’t really drive aggressively at all. I think they lied big time and has been my last favorite part of the truck.

1. BE

Lmao. 3 mpg is NOT “pretty far off.” And I guarantee you’re not doing 55 mph on the expressway like these are tested.

1. Scrappy

It is “pretty far off” when you are talking about millions of vehicles. Adds up to a lot of extra gas and emissions compared to the promised MPG when they bought it. The lawsuit is about the buying decision & whether it was fraudulently manipulated. If Ford gamed the tests, then it was fraud.

2. KD

Should have bought a Prius.

3. stan

i bought 2019 f150 3.5L i get like 9 mpg i city ford lies my truck only has 2500 mile on it not happy at all

11. Adam

I can’t believe someone believes those numbers.

12. Triton beast

I have a 2008 f150 5.4 triton v8 with an f250 rear end and leafs with air shocks. Cold air intake,emission delete, cat delete, monster built transmission with an edge tune. I just towed 8k 950 miles over three larges passes and half a dozen smaller ones and I averaged 19.4 mpg at an average of 75 mph. I also run non ethanol fuel 90% of the time. Way to many factors involved to make this lawsuit viable.

1. Matticus

I don’t believe this for a second

13. Aron

I love my Ford it gets good MPG and can outrun most stock trucks and cars. If you drive it right good MPG you blow the doors of the other trucks you get good medals and a lighter wallet.

14. Mike

Every test result varies from all automakers. Have 10 different people drive the exact same vehicle the exact same way and the results will be annoyingly different. Automakers do several fuel economy tests and post the best ones. Todays fuel also varies causing these ratings to change. You need to do more homework before you write a story and then publish the truth. That sound offensive and I apologize for that but nobody trusts the news or these stories anymore because you write to sound better than the next writer. Truth? Seems to no longer exist.

15. Shawn

I just bought an F150 Lariat, 3.5L, and I’m only getting 13.5mpg on the highway!

1. Tom

Shawn,

I have this issue in the city. Only getting 12.5. I can tell the HWY will be much more accurate, but this is disappointing. It should be more like 17mpg in the city.

16. Tty

Are you saying ford would lie for monetary gain.

17. William Vaughan

Haters always guna hate. These vehicles also have the capacity to make alot of power that’s got to come from some source and everyone drives different so if your going to test one test them all under the same conditions different people in different situations drive differently. Don’t like it drive a electric car and then sue the company that made it. Lol

18. CC

About time. I remember seeing tons of YouTubers do their own tests and each one said they were a good 3-5 LESS MPG. Way too much to be a mistake.

19. Deadfall

Was driving my truck thru Ford Dealer truck lot the other day noticed a guy standing by his Toyota Tundra with 5.7 asked him how he liked it (he liked it) asked him about mileage said 15 MPG assume country driving it where I live. Asked if he was looking To trade it in but said he was there for oil change…there is a Toyota dealer one block down the street after crushing the lot seen him talking to sales person….maybe it was the service manager but thinking not.

1. Ttran

Toyota very accurate 15mpg in the city, it about right. Ford cheat on Mpg big time. Cheat to sell more Truck that all, pay what you get.

20. Scott

I get 23 to 25 in my 2017 xl 4×4 2.7l…i also dont hammer the gas…it may say ecoboost but but its a choice…eco or boost

21. jason leldon poole

You people should quit trying to sue every corporation and every person just because some stupid rule that was broke or some jerk got their feelings hurt. Get a freaking job and earn your money you piece of crap.

22. Jeffrey Miller

It’s just scummy lawyers tryin’ to hit the lottery, nothing more!!

23. Robert Mirabella

My 2020 Ranger averages only 19 mpg combined. The trucks computer reads 2-3 mpg better than what I actually get. Total manipulation. And deception by Ford. And they know it!

1. STEVEN J SCHILLING

Well mine doesn’t learn to drive I get better than the state you whinners need to buy chevies

24. Tim

This is BS… I have a 2013 f150 3.5 4wd screw And I get 23 highway 18 city. And the newer ones get better than that. My friend has a 2019 2.7 Ecoboost 2wd extended cab and he gets 25 combined with alot of city driving. People just can’t drive and want to blame it on someone. Drive the competitions trucks and u will know crappy gas mileage.

25. Steve Taylor, P.E

Dumb asses can not duplicate the testing. And that’s Ford’s Fault? There are so many variables to actual mileage (including the manufacturer of the gasoline, its true octane, ethanol % additives,etc) the fuel temperatures of the in-ground storage, relative humidity, the list goes on ad-nauseum (sp). Your linkage to acceleration, size of tires, tread depth. What we have here is someone who has found a hungry attorney who knows big corps will get tired and pay them off. So, the real suit should be read as, “we’re suing because we’re dumbasses!

26. Phil

No mention of the rear end ratio I bet. I have a 2017 2.7L with a 3.31 rear and gotten as high as 24mpg on a tank(hand calculated) and average around 18mpg city when I had my 2 mile slow commute to work each day. Since the pandemic started and I’m working from home the mileage has gone up since most of my rare trips out are longer than my work commute.
    Before that i had a 2000 f150 5.4 3.55 and usually averaged 13 city and 16 highway. Best i saw on that truck was with almost 200k on the motor I pulled 18mpg. The ecoboost is far better with fuel as long as you stay out of the boost.

27. DAMIEN

I have 2018 F150 3.5 eco. I live in NJ crowded Bergen county and my average is 19 miles per gallon just like stated on the sticker. Highway is around 21-22. I never complained about it. Lots of power so this little gas.

28. Stalkbroker94

Maybe the person putting forward this particular lawsuit should drive my 06 Escape for a while and then realize he has nothing to complain about just because he has a lead foot.

29. Phill W.

What bonehead buys a pickup truck for the fuel economy?

30. Vance Mason

As much as it pains me to say it… The Ford F 150 of this era is a turd. Its beautiful to behold no doubt but its a turd.This was supposed to be my last vehical in my lifetime. My dream truck. Its going to cause our family more pain than my failing health at age 54. I was tough. I had what it took. This ford that i bought was probably the biggest mistake of my lifetime. I’m ashamed for being so selfish in buying it and even more distraught over the fact that this truck will have more issues in its very short life than I’ve had in my lifetime. Imagine that. Its a turd and You knew it.

31. Don

People have a right to sue over crap like this. When you buy something, you expect to get what you paid for, correct? I have a 2019 Ford Ranger. On board comp says I get almost 30 miles to a gallon driving interstate, in reality I’m really getting 19 to 20 which is nowhere close to the est 26 mpg.

32. Don

Yeah, I can say that I am one of those idiots that bought a truck and took fuel economy into consideration. I would rather see more of my money in the bank, CD’s and stocks gaining interest vs blowing it out my exhaust.

I should start selling cars to people on here, talk it up then when they realize they are not getting anything close to what they are paying for, tell them to go suck it up.
    Just a thought.

355 miles ( all interstate) at 68 mph on cruise control with an 18 gal tank.

1. Doug Hacker

18 gallon tank but how much gas did you put in the tank? If its 16 gallons then you got 22 mpg. Not 26 but closer. Did you use premium gas because Ford does when they do MPG testing. Why would they do that? Because the competitors do it. My computer is about 1 mpg off not 10 mpg off like yours. You may need to get that checked out.

33. Doug Hacker

I have a 2020 super-cab STX ranger 2 wheel drive. I am averaging 25 mpg since I bought it and the last 2 tanks I have been averaging 27.5 mpg. I am guessing I have the most fuel efficient set up. I am getting exactly what sticker said maybe even a little better. I am guessing when you add 4×4 and crew cab and all the bells and whistles the MPG should go down. Pretty sure sticker MPG is same for all Rangers so you know someone is going to be upset. I bought my low end Ranger just for that reason. I knew it would probably hit the sticker MPG and its a cheap truck so I can use it for a truck.

1. Don

The ranger is a great truck, minus the fuel issue. I run premium in it every third fill up.
      Yeah, the mpg goes down with 4×4. I opted for regular 2wd. Maybe some have bad/faulty sensors. Idk

1. Don

When I filled it up, it took just over 17 gal. I am definitely going to get it checked out. I love the truck and I am a Ford guy through and through. I traded my 2008 F-150 and my 2011 Escape in to get this truck, so I’m not knocking Ford for no reason. Both of my other vehicles were pretty spot on for mpg, this one, not so much lol.

34. David Sanford

Consistently had average 22 mpg with my 2018 F-150 2.7 ecoboost with regular gas. Only when additive are added to the fuel in the winter in Washington and Oregon did fuel economy drop to 19mpg. Much ado about nothing.

35. Jack

My 2019 5.0 f150 gets 12.5 mpg on a good day.

36. Craig Berning

Bought a new 2020 Ford F-150 XL super cab with the 5.0 V8 , 8 ft bed and 4×4. Gas mileage has been 21 mpg hwy from day one. Just as posted on it’s sticker.

37. Jj Miller

I don’t know about the new trucks but my ’05 with the 5.4l came with way too high gearing that killed mileage. Also did the front leveling kit. First trip to Oregon (1500miles one way) it could barely hold 70mph loaded and small trailer with atv. 14mpg was good. Put 4.10’s in the rearends and easily got 17 to a high of 19.5 on next 4 trips. Gained 2 to 3 mpg in daily driving.
    Also the stupid “adaptive” computer programming (many people don’t know about this)that makes it grandma power output if you don’t take off aggressively causes loss of mpg. Not sure if the new ones have it.
    I also always got better mpg the farther out west I got. Even the 3 GM’s I had before going Ford did the same. I think there are a lot of variables that can eadily make some get poor mpg and others “normal”.

38. Toby L Jones

I have a 2019 Ranger, I get much better gas mileage than listed on the sticker. I bought it because it’s a Ford not for gas mileage!!!

39. Robert

I wish it would stop blowing oil n miss firing- spark knock..
    2019 5.0

40. STEVEN J SCHILLING

41. Greg

You don’t buy a truck for the gas mileage people are you all that stupid. You buy a truck to do work. You want gas mileage go get a Prius.

42. Bob

I have the 2.7 V6 and I’ve gotten over 80K miles lifetime avg. is 22.9 combined. I get 26mpg on longer trips with cruise control on. Worst I’ve gotten is 19 with all city stop and go driving and I live in Houston.

43. Greg

I have a 2020 Ranger Lariat that I bought after selling my 2015 Ram Big Horn 1500 w/Hemi. I loved my Ram but I’m a Ford guy at heart! After 2 Rangers in the 90’s and 2 F-150’s in the 00’s, I could not wait to pick up a new Ranger and at 3500 miles, I love it. I live in the PNW and I use this truck to commute, explore and to tow my Forest River RPod and it answers the call every time. I had concerns moving from a Hemi to a 4 cylinder but that little turbo brings it right into V6 performance and that gas mileage is way better than I’ve had in any of my 1/2 tons. Ford Trucks are hard to beat!

44. David

I see everyone talking about gas mileage, didn’t you all buy a truck for hauling your stuff. My Ford F-150 2017 3.5 eco is my first truck and I don’t know how I lived so long without a pick up. Did a lot of research of specs and fuel economy wasn’t a deciding factor. Pulled boats and trailers with SUV and minivans. Talk about sucking gas and probably over capacity when hauling. For my lifestyle and what I use my vehicle for I don’t see buying anything other than a pick up and the resale values are much better than SUV and minivan.

45. Dubya Johnson

My 2019 f150 2.7 is rated at 22 mpg avg. I only get 17.5. My daughter had the same thing happen to her when she bought her Kia. Kea sent her a monthly check for the difference.

46. Zaira

Definitely agree to this. We just purchased a 2021 ford f 150 3.5 ecoboost 4×4 king ranch (have to be specific) and we only get 15 mpg on a clear straight road (took a trip from Houston to Dallas then Houston to San Antonio) 3 hour or so drive. With the supposed extended range tank, we had to fuel up there and back. The prices are ridiculous!!! Should have kept my 2017 Lariat 5.0 smh.

1. chris

That’s strange.. I just took a trip on Monday from Cleveland to near South Bend Indiana. On the way there, I took the non toll roads and averaged 28ish miles per gallon. On the way back I took the turnpike and got 27.6 average. Both ways had the ac on and windows rolled up.I did do the math as a lot of people do not trust the computer and it was off by 0.1 mpg which could arguably be the difference from using different pumps from different stations. I drove in “normal” mode, no cruise control and the weather was clear with no real wind. My best beforehand was from Myrtle beach area to Jacksonville with 26mpg average. I have a 2018 fx4 3.5 ecoboost with the stock tune but it does have a full exhaust including larger turbo adapters, a stainlessworks catted y pipe and a borla cat back. Also has an upr oil separator since around 1200 miles from new and an airaid cold air intake (non oiled). I also have a lund, soft roll up tonneau cover and think that really helps!

I do have to say that I regularly “blow the carbon out”! haha! So city driving I average 17-20. A 15mpg average for 3 hours and I would need new back tires!