Next-Gen Ford F-150 Raptor Will Get Supercharged 5.2L Predator V8

Last June, Ford Authority was the first to report that the next-gen Ford F-150 Raptor would be making a return to V8 power. Ford’s off-road focused pickup has been powered by a high-output version of The Blue Oval’s 3.5L EcoBoost V6 throughout its second generation, and that configuration has done quite well without the benefit of eight cylinders. Regardless, the next-gen Ford F-150 Raptor will indeed offer buyers the most powerful V8 currently in FoMoCo’s lineup.

Ford Authority has learned that the next-gen Ford F-150 Raptor will in fact be getting Ford’s 5.2L Predator V8, the same engine that’s currently found in the 2020 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500. However, it will produce slightly less power than it does in The Blue Oval’s range-topping pony. In the Raptor, the blown eight will make between 725 and 750 horsepower. By comparison, the GT500’s 760 horsepower rating.

Ford’s intentions with the Predator-powered Raptor are very clear – to beat the new 2021 Ram TRX, which was just revealed earlier this week. The TRX comes equipped with a supercharged version of FCA’s 6.2L Hemi V8, which produces 702 horsepower and 650 pound-feet of torque. FCA calls the TRX the “quickest and most powerful mass-produced truck in the world,” with a claimed 0-60 time of 4.5 seconds and quarter-mile time of 12.9 seconds at 108 mph.

Earlier this month, we spied a next-gen Ford Raptor prototype in advanced stages of development. That prototype utilized a coil spring rear suspension setup in lieu of the current Raptor’s leaf springs, and the truck’s Fox shocks were moved ahead of the rear axle. It’s worth noting that the Ram TRX features a five-link coil suspension, which provides superior articulation over a traditional leaf spring setup.

It’s currently unclear whether the all-new, third-generation Ford F-150 Raptor will come to market for the 2021 or 2022 model years. It’s possible that the vehicle will actually launch toward the end of the 2021 model year, but with very limited availability.

We’ll have more on the next-gen Raptor as soon as it’s available, so be sure and subscribe to Ford Authority for the latest Ford F-Series newsFord F-150 news, F-150 Ford Raptor news, and continuous Ford news coverage.

We'll send you one email per day with the latest Ford updates.
It's totally free.

Comments

1. john gousse

Hopefully they have a base model with a lesser engine just to keep the price down.

2. crabbymilton

They already do. It’s called the XL.

3. Roy Chiles

Why? FORD should have put this motor in a new 2021 F150 Lightning and used a SuperChargered 5.0 coyote at lest they back the power down to make room for a Single cab HotRpd

1. Cygnus

I remember when a 12 second 1/4 mile was fast for a sports car.

4. Roy Chiles

A SuperChargered 5.0 with 10 speed transmission can produce 725hp and 12sec 1/4 mile passes while keeping cost down. Hell it can produce 1000hp if you looking for bragging rights easy. A 5.2 Predator will get the job done but will cost way more. The HellCat Chargers and Challengers run 12sec in most case

5. fpvfan

Great, now all we need is a street truck. a 550hp 3.5L 10-speed lighting would be nice. Lowered, short bed, 2 and 4-door configuration, AWD, quad side exhaust tuned to sound like the Ford GT and not like the Ford Raptor, Magnetic ride, 22×12″ wheels, massive tires huge Brembo brakes, lightning specific interior, center console shifter (no column shifters), integrated tailgate lip spoiler, lightning grille, wide body, B&O stereo, etc. a track-tuned street truck with optional seating for five. That would be a great truck.

1. Roy Chiles

I’ve never seen a V6 Lightning??? That’s called a XL…

1. Stalkbroker94

I guess I don’t quite understand what you mean. Perhaps you could explain what you’re saying with a bit more context? If Ford sells an XL trim Lighting, I’d love to see it so I can get my hands on one. My 06 Escape is a bit tired lol

1. Crabbymilton

Get an XL and craft it your way.
          Add similar wheels and other cosmetics. Add a loud exhaust system that way nobody will know the size and horsepower regardless of engine since a non turbo V6 will sound the same as a turbo. Same with a V8. People just have a thing for hot rod pickups. Whatever happened to the work/farm truck or the nicer truck to pull a boat or travel trailer? It’s a good thing don’t misunderstand but why not craft it your way?

1. Stalkbroker94

When you say XL, are you referring to the regular cab, 6.5ft box F-150? Because you can get that in trim levels other than XL. In fact, XL’s can come with the same configurations that any other trim level can.
            They typically come with 3.3L Duratec V6’s with less than 300hp, so you would have to special order it.

6. Crabbymilton

You could craft your own version beginning with the XL. Just add the same type wheels and other cosmetic touches. I thought the RAPTOR has the ECOBOOST 3.5?
    The XL is available with it as well as a V8. So you could add loud exhaust and nobody would know the difference anyway.

1. Jonathon

Is there anyone other than Ford Authority still questioning if there will be a 2021 Raptor?
      We’ve all seen numerous pictures. Why would they wait until 2022?

7. Roy Chiles

Lightning is SVT 5.8 1993-95 5.4 1999-04 The Cobra R and Shelby GT500 also use these power plants. So it only makes sense that a new Lightning would have the 5.2. When I say XL am talking about the striped down model that comes with V6. A EcoBoost Lightning would kill the brand and it want sound the same.

8. Jonathon

We’ve all seen numerous pictures. Why would they wait until 2022?

9. Jesse

Question: If Ford is going to offer the 2021 Raptor with their supercharged 5.2L Predator V8 from the Shelby GT500 (making 760 HP), wouldn’t it make amazingly obvious sense to also offer Ford’s 5.2L Predator V8 from the Shelby GT350R (making 527 HP) as the base model to keep the price down (and everybody happy)?

1. Roy Chiles

The Raptor 5.2 is de turned to 725-750 which can be done with the Coyote 5.0 No the Shelby GT350 would then be targeting at the Shelby GT500 Which the BOSS 302 / MACH 1 is to replace

10. Roy Chiles

The Raptor show up about 10-12mos after the new F150. To all the Lightning wannabes XL model Eco6 or 5.0 that would be the same as buying EcoBoost 4 or 5.0 and turning it into the Shelby GT500….. That’s the Magnitude and worth of the Legendary Lightning

11. andy

I am so glad they are going back to a v8, I just hope it holds up and and has the reputation like the 6.2l. I bought my 2012 on my bday in may and am so glad I went with the 6.2. I have had 0 issues it hasnt done anything bad, the one thing I hate is I get people and dealers trying to buy it constantly, the dealer I got it from the radio and speakers were stolen and the had it advertised for 27k I ended up buying the truck with no radio or speakers for 20k and it had a clean title no accidents. I found the radio I wanted and put better than stock speaker in and it sounds great everything works like it should and in total I have less than 21k in the truck. I have had local dealers offer to write a check for 25-27k but if I sell it I cant replace it and no the truck doesnt have 200k miles on it I just hit 118k today with it.