Modern-Day Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor Rendered

Sadly, the Ford Crown Victoria was discontinued some time ago, and we’re starting to see the last Crown Victoria Police Interceptors still in duty begin to thin out in retirement. It’s truly the end of an era and a sad reality in our SUV and crossover-crazed world. But what if Ford was still cranking out Crown Victoria Police Interceptor models for law enforcement across the country? Well, it might look a little something like these renderings from artist Oscar V.

Interestingly, the renderings aren’t based on a Crown Victoria at all, but rather a last-gen Ford Taurus. From there, Oscar added on all the typical Police Interceptor goodies, including some steelie-style wheels, a push bar, and blue and red lighting all around. Instead of blacking out all of the chrome, however, some of it remains.

For fun’s sake, there’s also a rendering of the car both as an undercover model and as a not-so-undercover example. The latter has Oscar’s avatar on the front doors, along with a script reading “to protect and serve against negative comments” on the rear doors. Considering the constant criticism folks provide to people like Oscar on the web, it’s a funny, not-so-subtle jab at that kind of negativity. We’re also guessing the “NCP” written on the car stands for “Negative Comment Police.”

In either guise, these modern-day Crown Victoria Police Interceptor renderings are undoubtedly cool to see, yet obviously a total fantasy. It doesn’t seem like Ford will ever bring back its big, comfy sedan, but who knows? Stranger things have happened in the past, and trends tend to come and go. So perhaps one day, people will get sick of crossovers and SUVs and demand the return of the good-old-fashioned American sedan.

We’ll have more cool renderings to share soon, so be sure and subscribe to Ford Authority for more Ford Crown Victoria news and around-the-clock Ford news coverage.

We'll send you one email per day with the latest Ford updates.
It's totally free.

Comments

1. Chris

That rendering looks good. Cops are really missing their Crown Vic cruisers. Too bad Ford took away the Taurus interceptor also. It made a good looking cop car. It’s good news for FCA though, cops also love the Charger police package. Big orders coming. A possible Chrysler 300 cop package on the horizon also.

2. Roy Chile’s

Ford and Lincoln’s BIGGEST MISTAKE given the SEDAN MARKET AWAY. Nothing last forever including SUV’s

1. Peter Lacres

You’re so right Roy! Ford managers are completely wrong… image running a restaurant.
      People are vegan, vegetarian, fish lovers, meat addicts and so on.
      Police officers will still drive ‘normal’ cars… Ford China/Australia have designed the Taurus, which could be produced in the US to replace the Fusion and Taurus as the ‘NEW’ Taurus.
      Has anyone seen the sales figures of the outgoing Fusion?
      Anyway, the sales figures of the Escape are disappointing… WAKE up Ford. By the way, the European Focus is a great product and could be sold in the US as well!

3. crabbymilton

I like it and I’m sure the civilian version would be great. It likely would be sized between the old CROWN VICTORIA, TARUS and CONTINENTAL. Perhaps a V8 but more likely turbo V6 and non turbo for standard trims. All electric or hybrids for cabbies. Too bad the CARBON E7 not got off the ground. GM at least shows an interest in sedans in the form of the CELISTIQ which perhaps could spawn BUICK and CHEVRLOET versions. The CELISTIQ is all electric but there was some talk that it may offer a gasoline engine version. Time will tell.

4. Chris

Ford is making bad decisions. Pure and simple. It started with the guy who used to be the CEO of Home Depot (I think). He’s the one who put the kaibash on sedans. He just stepped down. It doesn’t look the like the new guy is gonna reverse any of that. Ford had a sharp CEO not too long ago. I think his name was Mulally.

1. JOHN MAJDALANI

The guy you’re thinking of if the inexperienced unqualified furniture guy.

1. Chris

Thanks for the clarification. I knew it was somebody with no auto experience. Why to companies hire CEO’s like that anyway? So the guy who used to sell sofas is the reason we have no sedans at Ford. Sad.

5. Tim Gonzalez

Its to bad Ford didn’t use the Mustang platform to up date the Crown Vic. Just imagine a coyote powered, Mustang handling police pursuit vehicle, in four doors of course. All though as an owner of a newer GT350 am glad they didn’t.

6. Gary Stein

I”m old enough to remember Coke messing with the formula and then with great fanfare re-introducing Classic Coke. Or, in the interests of nostalgia and future collectible, before it all goes electric, why not throw a Grand Marquis, CV and TC, limited editions, with internal combustion engine on a truck platform? Great way to gauge a sedan comeback. Escalade saved Cadillac. Was considered desperation at the time.

7. Bill Durkin

In 1977 while on the Detroit Police Department we drove six cylinder Plymouths, no A/C. I never had the pleasure of driving a Crown Victoria.
    Needless to say it was difficult to catch a speeding car.

1. Crabbymilton

Why would they put such a low HP engine in those. They would be fine if they never had to engage in high speed chases but at least a small 8 cylinder back then.

8. Doug Wymer

I still own a 2004 Crown Vic. I am a big dude 6’4 280. I love the Vic. I also wish Ford would come out with an updated version. Not what I see here. I would like to see a full size car just updated.

1. crabbymilton

I have the ’04 GRAND MARQUIS version and I know I’ve said it before but I still love it after almost 17 years. I wouldn’t care what it looks like but at least keep the concept/platform in place.

9. Bob Dobson

People need to get the facts correct. Ford did not terminate production on the Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (CVPI) because of a corporate decision. They did it because NHTSA safety standards are constantly changing and the requirements for roof crush standards that kicked in around 2012 would have resulted in millions being spent re-engineering the CVPI. Then you have a 20 year old vehicle with stronger structure but legacy everything else.

Also equipment demands for Departments meant the CVPI was not big enough to carry all Government mandated equipment. So Ford made the right decision to transition to the Police Interceptor Sedan (PIS) and the Police Interceptor Utility (PIU) The demand for the sedan was not great so they concentrated on the PIU. Thats why its the #1 Police vehicle in North America. The CVPI was a very old outdated sedan that wouldn’t be able to satisfy future demands of Law Enforcement. Ford made the right decision.

1. Lurch

True, it dated back to the 1979 model year. I just wish they had started a sedan design on a clean sheet to meet those requirements.

1. crabbymilton

Somehow the CHARGER seems to work for LE agencies. I always scratched my head over GM’s goofy idea to bring the LE only CAPRICE over here and not offer a civilian version. They could have had BUICK and CADILLAC sedan and that platform too.
        I talked to a cop who was driving one and he couldn’t say enough good things about it.

1. Gary Montee

Concerning the Caprice, they were manufactured in Australia, they were pushing out all they could.they had a civilian version they called the SS, I own one. Great car, wish they would have called it an Chevelle SS instead of just an SS. Also Chevrolet shut the production of these cars down and closed the factory. The Crown Vics were good cars solid and dependable, but there design was dated. The agency I worked for converted to Tahoe’s, and have not looked back.

1. Crabbymilton

I remember the SS. I was just hoping for the CAPRICE in civilian form. Some of us would much rather not have the sporty version just standard or luxury. BUICK and CADILLAC had versions for the Mid East but never made it over here.

10. Don Burton

The biggest gaffe Ford made was dropping the Crown Vic Interceptor. No auto manufacturer had anything comperable in handling, acceleration, nor room. When you live in your car for 10 hours a day, this was a very comfortable, responsive vehicle in which you can spend the time between stops.
    The dropping of the Taurus line was another mistake. Next to the Crown Vic, the Taurus presented a vehicle that was comfortable, responsive, and had the handling necessary for Police work. It was also a comfortable auto for everyday driving, While not as spacious as the Vic, it served the law enforcement credibly.
    I have been a Ford buyer for 55 years straight, and in law enforcement for 32 years, so I have an idea as to how Fords perform. Thank you for making these products.

1. crabbymilton

Thank You for your service sir. So were FORD built squad cars your favorite? We even had PONTIAC squads around here back in the mid to late 1970’s which I thought was unusual after seeing mostly PLYMOUTH’s back then as a little kid. That’s why I said it was strange that GM imported that CAPRICE for police work and not a civilian version. It would have be a good seller.

11. Patrick Cauley

Ford stop building cars because nobody wanted to buy what they were allowed to make . Way too many government regulations. consumers are left with what the government allows companies to make not what they want. All these regulations stifle innovation, a new startup company would have to have a fortune to sell a new car.this is just wrong.

12. Theodore Sandberg

I have no connection to law enforcement, except that I got a 2009 CVPI With 91,000 mi for $4,000 at an auction 2 years. It’s the best car I’ve ever had. I don’t care how many other cars I may purchase in my life, I’ll keep this one.

13. George Alleman

I’ve had 7 CV and Grand Marquis since1985. Couldn’t ask for a more reliable comfortable car. I drove my first CV to 247K miles. What ever they do on the new cars, I hope they put traditional wheels and tires on it. Balloon tires came out in the 30’s to get rid of the wagon wheels and tires that were used up to that time. These low silhouette tires that are on my 2019 Taurus are noisy on the road and make the car ride as rough as a lumber wagon. I’m on my 32nd Ford since 1952 and now I’m getting tired of bumping along the the modern tank trap highways.