Ford Motor Company is recalling select units of the Ford Ranger, Ford Mustang,Ford GT, Ford Fusion, Mercury Milan, Lincoln MKZ, Ford Edge and Lincoln MKX vehicles over an issue with obsolete Takata airbag modules that were not purged from dealer service inventories after a permanent fix for the defective units became available. The recall is set to begin on March 8th, 2021.
The defect: affected models could possibly have been outfitted with obsolete Takata airbag components as part of collision or theft repairs.
The hazards: the affected vehicles may have had defective Takata airbag modules installed, which in the event of a collision, can cause serious injuries or death.
Ford Motor Company is not aware of any reports of accident or injury related to this condition.
Components: Takata airbag modules.
- 2004-2011 Ford Ranger vehicles
- 2005-2014 Ford Mustang vehicles
- 2006 Ford GT vehicles
- 2008-2012 Ford Fusion vehicles
- 2009-2011 Mercury Milan vehicles
- 2010-2012 Lincoln MKZ vehicles
- 2007-2010 Ford Edge vehicles
- 2007-2010 Lincoln MKX vehicles
Number of vehicles affected: 154,224 combined units of the Ford Ranger, Ford Mustang, Ford GT, Ford Fusion, Mercury Milan, Lincoln MKZ, Ford Edge, and Lincoln MKX, with:
- 145,407 units in the U.S. and federal territories
- 8,811 units in Canada
- 6 units in Mexico
The fix: Ford will notify owners that they can visit their dealer for an inspection and, if necessary, a driver or passenger side airbag inflator or module replacement..
Owners should: wait for the recall notice to arrive by mail, and contact their local Ford dealer with any questions.
- Ford Customer Service: 1-866-436-7332
- FoMoCo Recall Number: 21S05
- NHTSA Toll Free: 1-888-327-4236
- NHTSA (TTY): 1-800-424-9153
- NHTSA Website: www.safecar.gov