2022 Ford Maverick Prototype Spied Next To Ford Mustang Shows Its Size

Late last week, we got our first good look at the 2022 Ford Maverick when the automaker finally removed a large portion of the heavy camo it’s been bestowing prototypes of the compact pickup with for months. And now, a few months after we spied a more heavily camo’d Maverick next to a Ford Ranger, we’ve got some new photos of a 2022 Ford Maverick prototype parked next to a 2021 Ford Mustang to share.

As we can see from these new 2022 Ford Maverick prototype photos, the pickup is not much longer than the pony car at all. This confirms what we already knew, and that’s the fact that the Maverick is going to be a compact pickup that slots beneath the Ranger in Ford’s lineup, filling a hole that’s remained in the automaker’s lineup since the previous-gen Ranger was discontinued.

Unfortunately, these two Blue Oval vehicles are not lined up perfectly, as the Maverick seems to be parked a little further forward than the Mustang. Regardless, these two vehicles look very close in overall length, while the Maverick is a bit taller, as one would expect. If nothing else, this gives prospective buyers a good idea as to how big the SuperCrew-only Maverick will be.

Early Ford Maverick production is already underway at the Ford Hermosillo Assembly Plant, as we recently reported. The Maverick will be built alongside there the Ford Bronco Sport, with which it shares the Ford C2 Platform. The pickup will be available in front-wheel-drive configuration with a lower-cost, twist-beam rear suspension or all-wheel-drive with an independent rear suspension.

The 2022 Ford Maverick will be available with either Ford’s 1.5L EcoBoost I-3 or an optional 2.0L EcoBoost I-4, both of which will be mated to FoMoCo’s eight-speed automatic transmission. A naturally aspirated four-cylinder remains a possibility for the entry-level model, while the Maverick will also come with a hybrid powertrain option.

As Ford Authority exclusively reported recently, the Maverick will feature a starting MSRP of less than $20k when it launches, which will make it the most affordable pickup in Ford’s lineup – roughly $4,000 less than the cheapest 2021 Ford Ranger.

We’ll have much more on the new Maverick soon, so be sure and subscribe to Ford Authority for more Ford Maverick news and around-the-clock Ford news coverage.

We'll send you one email per day with the latest Ford updates.
It's totally free.

Comments

1. Dave

Just the right size for my needs. Will buy one… IF…they decide to offer it in a 2-door
    version. I need more bed capacity, not passenger room.
    If a 2-door version is not in the works, my money will go to Nissan for a new Frontier
    coming this summer. Its reported to remain a true compact truck with great looks….
    and, a standard V6; not a 3 or 4 cylinder.
    Are you listenig Ford?

1. John

Agreed!

1. royl

I’m with you Dave, the V6 offering from Nissan has gotten my attention-a 3cylinder snow blower engine is out of the question! Regarding Ford’s 4cylinder disasters I would not purchase a 4 banger from ford for at least 5 years (from today). They [ford] seems to have decided the Bic lighter is a good business model when it comes to tiny little mills. Maybe this is why, when it comes to reliability and longevity ford isn’t in the top three, sad.

2. Tommy Frizzell

I definitely agree Dave! The red 2 door concept they had posted looked great!

2. Ernie

I agree, a two door is needed. Also an option for a standard transmission would make it an ideal small pickup.

1. John

Exactly!

2. royl

When you say, “standard transmission”, I hope you mean a Manual trans! God Bless you, I too favor a manual, but ford’s tendency to build manual transmission in China (such as the MT82) leaves me out on this. If Ford were to offer a NA V6, with an American Made manual-I’ll will purchase one. While I have quite a few trucks now, I am in the market for a “smaller” truck. As it sits right now, Nissan/Toyota are the front runners.

3. John

I hope Ford reads these comments, its a two door for me also or I’m out as well.

4. Name goes here

Right Dave because the world revolves around you you really think putting are you listening Ford on your comment really is gonna make them make changes because you said you’d buy a different brand news flash it don’t and guaranteed ford don’t care about one person like you

1. Dave

Well, judging by other comments to ths article, alot more potential buyers feel as I do.
      I’m no troll making critical statements about Ford products. In the past 30 years I have
      purchased 22 new Ford vehicles including F-150s and Rangers. I would hope that Ford
      would like to keep me as a customer. I am wanting a small pickup and the new Ranger
      is bigger than what I want. This Maverick is the right size but I don’t want/need a crewcab
      with a tiny bed. If Ford determines that more customers would prefer a 2-door version,
      would it not be a good business move to provide one? I’m pretty sure the Ford marketing
      people read comments on Fordauthority; so, why not try to influence their decisions?

2. royl

“and guaranteed ford don’t care about one person like you””””””” Based on this comment, I guess it is safe to say, you did not pay attention in your basic English Class!!! I believe Dave’s comments reflect the views of a large number of buyers, a couple of years from now, we shall see, as the market always determines the “winners”.

5. gareth

Early Ecoboost engines did suffer some reliability issues but overall Ecoboost engines are as reliable as any other engine if matince is done correctly and driven correctly by that I mean the turbo is ollowed to cool down if the vehicle is driven hard

1. royl

“””Driven correctly”””, does the owners manual state you should have a cool down period prior to shutting the engine down? If so how long. How does this square up with the auto-off, auto on feature??? Does this feature cause heat soak and short engine life? I’ve read everywhere, including some really good writes ups-on this very site-regarding the not old, but new ecoboom engines. When have all these problems been corrected??? You seem to have a lot of inside knowledge, please share with the rest of us!

6. SlimJon

I’m hoping for a two door also. A Splash step-side would be great.

7. L.J.Chauvin

No 2 door NO SALE Lets see what Hyundai’s Santa Cruz will look like

8. TonyC

what is wrong with the brains behind ford.selling a 4door pickup with no option for a 2door
    or extended cab.well,i’m a old timer and would never buy a 4door.

1. Charles Walker

I had a 4 door GMC Canyon , 2 doors too many and bed was too small.

9. Tommy Frizzell

Can I order a 2 door from Mexico or Australia?

10. Gary.

Ford’s 2.0 or 2.3 are very reliable engines that’s a fact! How ever I personally would not buy a 1.5 IL 3 just not enough engine and probably noisy. Why not a 2.0 and optional 2.0 EB. My wife has a 2.0 in her focus 5speed over 100,000 miles and if you drove with this 72 year young person, Well you couldn’t test a motor any harder…😆

1. royl

Your post does not reflect what so many others have experienced, but your experience with ford’s little 4 bangers is great for you, not so much for those “just out of warranty” that find coolant in their oil…… Those little stroked 2.0 reborn as 2.3ecobooms have not been as reliable across the fleet, but then again, there is a guy in Idaho that has 200,000 miles on his all original Yugo!

11. Stalkbroker94

I had a feeling I’d be seeing a bunch of ill-informed comments about how Ford “needs” to build a two door version of a very small pick-up.
    The people asking for them, I’ve found, don’t usually need trucks so much as they need a small vehicle and they HAPPEN to like trucks. This is a new model and a four door is the only thing that has been offered, so to expect Ford to cater to a few lonely old farts who don’t even need trucks is the very definition of a exercise in futility.

1. TonyC

Yo Stalk this old fart has a 250 with 10 cylinders but if I only need a small part or a piece
      of wood it’s nice to have a smaller truck.

2. Dave

Stalkbroker, You obviously didn’t bother to read ALL the other commenters
      before you chimed in with your snarky comment. Having been in the auto parts
      business for many years, I can assure you there is a market for small 2-door pickups.
      My business has two 2010 Rangers for parts deliveries. I need to replace both of these
      trucks this year and if Ford makes a 2-door Maverick, that’s my first choice. Otherwise,
      I will break a 30-year string of buying Fords (for personal and business) and purchase
      from another manufacturer.

12. Tommy Frizzell

This old fart already has an SUV to haul his family around. The young squirts that have a wife that won’t let them buy a truck unless it will haul the entire family drive a four door truck! I have a 1985, a 1997 and an SSR, trucks which are all two door. Almost 99.9% of the time spent in my truck I’m alone. Trucks are for hauling cargo! I really could care less about Ford catering to me.

13. Mike Parnell

I have had a 1996 Ford Ranger Splash sidestep, 3.0l V6, 5 spd manual for 20 years, and it is still running ( +260,000 kilometers ) and it is the best vehicle I have ever owned. Easy and cheap to fix, and even the gas mileage is respectable, compared to these vehicles today. If the new Maverick is available in a comparable package as my 96 Splash, 2 dr, V6, manual, I would buy it in a heartbeat.
    The new Ranger is too big, comes in only 4 wheel drive ( so far ), turbo 4 with 10 speed auto ( that can never decide what gear to be in ), and priced it almost the same as an F150, and Ford thinks the general public needs it?
    I hope Ford is listening and gives the general public what they want ( and what they use to supply, that sold very well but they did not make any money off of it ), instead of what they are dictating we have to buy.

14. Charles Walker

I would buy one if it came with an extended cab and automatic transmission. Some of us don’t need a 4 door pickup, small or full size.

15. Bill

I have a two door 2003 Ranger. Runs well, only a little maintenance over the years. (Worst was a gas pump failure.) We (family) have a four door SUV that fills the need for four doors. I want a two door old-style Ranger — however all the failures of Ford to produce it probably means my going to a Nissan for the first time in my long life. The current Rangers, among other things, simply sit too high (try easily lifting something over the side into the bed) and have a front end whose appearance seems related to a bulldozer.
    Like a lot of retailers, Ford seems to be more and more distancing itself from the customers.

16. Eric L Shaw

Hey Royl Shut the F$#% up.