Ford DPS6 Powershift Transmission Settlements Proving Costly For Automaker

In recent years, the Ford DPS6 Powershift transmission used in 2011-2016 Ford Fiesta and 2012- 2016 Focus models has been the subject of various class-action lawsuits in the U.S. and around the rest of the world due to quality concerns and shifting issues. The problem is so widespread that Consumer Reports recently placed the Focus from this era on its “Cars Most Likely to Need a Transmission Replacement” list, but it’s also proving quite costly for Ford as it works to reimburse owners.

Ford extended the factory powertrain warranty for some cars from 5 years or 60,000 miles to 7 years or 100,000 miles back in 2014, and the transmission warranty to the same terms just last year. However, the Ford DPS6 Powershift transmission lawsuit continues on unsettled, and even the U.S. government has threatened to intervene.

In the meantime, Ford has reached a number of settlements with owners in recent months, reducing its total number of outstanding cases from around 1,200 to 204. This is in addition to a buyback program the automaker established years ago, which resulted in Ford buying back 2,666 cars at a total cost of $47 million.

Most recently, 2014 Ford Fiesta owners Darice and Edward Wirth will be paid $49,228.96 as part of their settlement with Ford, which is around three times what they originally requested, according to the Detroit Free Press. It’s just a drop in the bucket of the millions of dollars the automaker has reportedly dished out in similar settlements over the last several years.

“Ford has been striving to resolve customer concerns for several years,” spokesman Said Deep told the Free Press. “While most concerns were resolved long ago, Ford remains committed to fairly consider any remaining concerns. Ford’s resolution program has not changed materially in several years. Ford considers each customer concern and responds appropriately based on the facts.”

We’ll have more on this ongoing financial headache soon, so be sure and subscribe to Ford Authority for 24/7 Ford news coverage.

We'll send you one email per day with the latest Ford updates.
It's totally free.

Comments

1. Sue

Not true that warranties were extended on ALL Focuses, only the “hand picked ones by Ford” were extended. Those that have had to have multiple clutches, repairs, adjustments were left out of the extension, as it would be too costly for Ford. ALSO untrue that there are only a couple hundred left to settle, there are 12,000 people waiting for settlement.

1. Brett Foote

The article doesn’t say “all,” and those 12,000 people are the ones who opted out of the settlement so they could sue Ford on their own.

2. kathy “bamacasey” nix

You are absolutely right ! They definitely didn’t extend all of us in the extended warranty. And at 51,000 miles my transmission goes out or they finally admitted it was the transmission of course because my warranty was void and only after I called raising mortal h did they pay me any attention especially like like they did when I bought the lemon Hello But I had to beg and beg for help then the finally agreed to pay half but heck no that’s bull too you pay it all it’s your piece of junk so they paid all but $100 but what about the next time and we all know there will be a next time unfortunately!!!

2. Chris D.

During the first five or so years under Alan Mulally, Ford didn’t have a lot of new product so the pressure was on to freshen and expand the lineup. Along with maximizing fuel economy, this was the backdrop that led to the product onslaught that brought too many all-new vehicles to market too quickly. As you all remember, there were numerous recalls and problems (hello engineering!), and it was a period of decline from a quality perspective. The Powershift transmission is Exhibit A.

Even more disappointing however, was how poorly leadership handled customer complaints after it was obvious this transmission’s design was a lemon. (Never mind that they kept using it.) I hate to see Ford bleed out cash, but unfortunately in this case they deserve what they get IMO. These owners need to be properly compensated. Hopefully they’ve learned their lesson from this debacle.

On aside, I was at a Ford dealership this weekend, and made it a point to look under the rears of every F-150 on the lot. I was pleased to see that the supply of rusty driveline components has been used up apparently, because all I saw was spotless black paint (as you would expect) on each one of them.

3. Justin L.

It’s a DPS6 transmission, not DP56.

4. Kathy nix

I have a 2016 Ford Focus bought new $22,000 from day1 had problems with it jerking shuddering was told it was normal had clutch assembly replaced and still jerking and sputtering still told told normal I have 51,000 miles transmission out and clutch ass again warranty out bought extended they said said it was was out too filed for Ford to reimburse me for cost of car they said I didn’t complain the first 12,000 miles what B/s this is they knew it was a lemon when I bought this car it was a lemon I have bought and paid for 4 Ford’s in my life . What a way to reward me !!!!!!

1. Anne

My car the same bought it new with 4 miles on it..

2. Anne

I was also told that because my car now has 56,000 miles on it will cost me money for them to buy it back. I have record of the jerking and my first service of the jerking. I was told it was the best of the best transmission I guess that was a lie.

5. Kathy nix

6. Mark L Bedel

Unfortunately, when it comes to transmissions, most of these are purchased from a supplier, and not engineered inhouse. Regardless though, the combination of cost per unit or whatever component is being used, is always weighed against the ceiling budget for manufacturing the total product.

After watching the meetings going on daily regarding “problems” cropping up that where compromises have to either be made or rectified, in the documentary “A Faster Horse”, I certainly would want to be involved in these sessions!

1. royl

What difference does it make, made in house, or purchased from mfg? Ford is responsible for the product. Ford is buying transmissions from china (and have been for a while), MT82-problematic, the new bronco (if it is ever actually produced) will be available with the chinese made manual. Now that ford owns a large part of the chinese mfg facility, they are determined to use this crap, the customers be damned! Add this to the 4 cylinder ecoboom class action lawsuits, problems…..

7. Scott Brown

Hire some proofreaders. This issue is not new. Many people who don’t even own a DPS 6 aka Powershift transaxle know what it’s called!
    After several revisions, the Fiesta version of DPS 6 seems to be holding up better than the Focus version. The general consensus is the higher torque and vehicle mass of the Focus is approaching the limits of the capacity of this transaxle.

1. Brett Foote

No need, there’s always an expert in the comments section to point these things out.

1. royl

I love to see an article-started by you Brette Foote, how many people suffering from the “Bic lighter” 4 cylinder problems, also have these DPS 6 transaxles. It would be interesting to see the responses! Thanks for the good write ups!

2. james matheson

The DPS6 was designed for the Fiesta. It cannot handle the 160 Horses from the focus motor. There is way too much torque also. Ford should have used the transmission from the Fusion in the Focus.

8. Pollet Whitehurst

My 2016 Ford focus SE is in the shop for the 3rd time in 6 months due to transmission problems. This has been a great loss and frustration for me.

9. RRJ

Over $49,000.00 for one couple? That I don’t understand. Willie Shoemaker here I come.

10. Anne

So my 2017 Ford Focus sel is not included in this lawsuit or settlement. My transmission has been replaced 6 times. I had to call the better business bureau and all Ford could offer me was $500 and 7 years, 100,000 mile warranty. My car didn’t start this morning!!!

1. royl

7 year/100,000 mile? Why not 200,000, as you’ll never be able to drive it 100,000 mine in 7 years!!

1. kathy “bamacasey” nix

Yes I would like to know that answer also ABOUT WHY ONE PERSON GOT 49,900

11. royl

Some research tells me the DPS6 is made by Ford’s Getrag transmission. Getrag is the chinese mfg, that continues to produce crap! At one time Getrag was made in Europe; however ford bought in, moved the operation (or a lot of it) to china! the history of the junk transmissions ford keeps selling American customers follows the same time line. Remember when ford built transmission in the US? As a matter of fact, the Old C6 (3 speed automatic) was built over 40 years ago, was married to almost everything, including the 460cid. Those old transmission just keep on going. Times have changed, overdrives/ 4-5-6-7-8-9-10 speed automatics, but what should have Never changed was the “bullet proof” type transmission (quality) ford built here in the US! Sad

12. Michael Taylor

How do I get in contact with some one. I bought a 2015 ford focus and it already went in for a recall for transmission, and it’s still doing the slipping a few years later, I have only put 15k on the miles.

13. Anne

I had to call the better business bureau FORD motor company is doing nothing for me and not helping me

1. kathy “bamacasey” nix

What did the better business bureaus do for you?

14. Mike

15. Mike

Never heard of a DP56 Transmission. The key to owning one of these cars is having a great service dept like I do here in Mass, they used the latest clutch assy and control module aka computer w/servo’s and seals, human error is a HUGE factor in repairing these as it got to be just right. My car has been great (2012) for several years now and many miles

1. royl

The settlements and all the lawsuits are due to the terrible service depts. found in so many ford dealerships? This would be a huge reason never to buy a ford. I hope you never move from Mass, you may be stuck using one of the hundreds of poor service depts found all over the US. why do you think ford allows these dealerships to be so bad? Why is ford settling with customers, when, according to you, the dealerships are at fault? I guess if you live in Mass, fords are okay, but everywhere else-don’t buy?

2. Stalkbroker94

It’s a design fault, Mike. Don’t pretend there’s something techs in Massachusetts can offer that no other techs can. A great tech can figure out a way to fix something, but that feature is not exclusive to techs in Massachusetts. That, and I doubt you’ve had no issues at all.

16. Anne

My car is on its 6th trans million module and clutch

17. Melissa

I bought a 2015 Ford focus brand new had 24 miles on it from test driving. I have had my car to the dealership 4 times and get the same answer. Mam there is nothing wrong with the transmission. Been driving ford’s most of my life. I’m 65 and I am taking it back for repairs next week. A headache of a car, it’s time I grow away from Ford. Only after I mentioned the lawsuits that they told me the warranty had been extended. Bunch of money hungry people. I’m a senior and not settling for just a replacement I want all the money back I have spent on this car. Never will I buy another Ford.

1. Debra

My 2015 Ford Fiesta was at the Ford dealership service dept for 25 days. Prior to this, the PCM/TCM was reprogrammed, clutch adaptive learning updated, clutch was replaced. I continued to have transmission problems (shudder, slips, lack of power/neutral). Car was road tested a few times & they told me nothing is wrong. Well fast forward to the recent visit, low & behold my car needs a new transmission; the cost would be $7500 (really?!!!!!) but I’m out of warranty. I may decide to file with the class action lawsuit; just hoping I don’t waste my time.

18. Anne

For them to buy back my Ford will cost me money

19. JOHN MAJDALANI

This poorly managed company did not learn from its past mistake in Sharonville, Ohio, when they knowingly installed defective torque converters in their transmissions, Its just possible, that the incompetent executives running this company have never heard of Sharonville.

20. Ronnie b

I have a 2013 Ford Focus and it has given me so much transmission problems! Only thing they would do is re flash it and replace a part did that about 5 times. Is it to late for me to get anything? Or am I to late I would just like for them to fix it for free. That’s fair.

21. Anne

Apparently I’m too late with my 2017 even though when I originally applied it was back during the window to do so. Ford denied me three times!!! My transmission clutch part has been replaced 6 times!! Ford will do nothing but give 1,000 dollars and a 7 year warranty.. that’s bs!!! Ford refuses to buy back the car stated that I’d owe money!!
    I wish someone on here would point me in the right direction of what to do??!!!

22. kathy “bamacasey” nix

I don’t understand that You would owe money? That sounds that B/S too . You should be able to get it because back when they say after four transmission repairs it’s automatic buyback .

23. Anne

I guess I missed the deadline to file a claim but yet Ford motor company denied my claim 3 times because of the year of the car.