2021 Ford Bronco Fuel Economy Ratings Revealed

It’s been a busy week for Ford Bronco news thus far, as horsepower and torque numbers for the reborn SUV were just released yesterday, joining the launch of Ford’s official parts & accessories page. Now, we’re continuing that trend, as 2021 Ford Bronco fuel economy ratings have just been released, which are no doubt of interest to those waiting to take delivery of the rugged new machine.

2021 Ford Bronco Fuel Economy Ratings
City Highway Combined
2.3L EcoBoost I-4 Auto* 20 22 21
2.3L EcoBoost I-4 Auto, Black Diamond 18 18 18
2.3L EcoBoost I-4 Auto, Sasquatch Package 18 18 18
2.3L EcoBoost I-4 Auto, Badlands 18 17 17
2.3L EcoBoost I-4 Manual* 20 22 21
2.3L EcoBoost I-4 Manual Black Diamond 17 19 18
2.3L EcoBoost I-4Manual Badlands 16 18 17
2.7L EcoBoost V6 Auto** 18 20 19
2.7L EcoBoost V6 Auto, Sasquatch Package 17 17 17
2.7L EcoBoost V6 Auto Badlands (w/o Sasquatch) 17 18 17

* Base, Big Bend, Outer Banks
** Base, Big Bend, Outer Banks, non-Sasquatch Badlands

These official 2021 Ford Bronco fuel economy ratings are not terribly surprising, nor are they anything that will rival the small-displacement compact cars or hybrids of the world. Those seeking the very best fuel economy out of a new Bronco will find it with Base, Big Bend, or Outer Banks trims equipped with Ford’s 2.3L EcoBoost I-4 and 10-speed automatic transmission or seven-speed manual, which returns 20 miles-per-gallon in the city, 22 on the highway, and 21 combined.

As one might imagine, opting for the more powerful 2.7L EcoBoost V6, larger-tired Sasquatch Package, or heavier trim levels like the Badlands has a negative effect on fuel economy. Every Bronco equipped with the 2.7 and Sasquatch Package is rated at an even 17/17/17 miles-per-gallon city/highway/combined, while, quite surprisingly, a Badlands with the 2.3 and manual gearbox is only rated to return 16/18/17.

It’s worth pointing out that the Bronco’s best fuel economy ratings can’t quite match up to the Jeep Wrangler, which is rated at 22 city, 24 highway, and 23 combined when equipped with the automaker’s 2.0L turbocharged I-4 and automatic transmission. But that engine produces 270 horsepower and 290 pound-feet of torque – less than the Bronco I-4’s 300 horsepower and 325 pound-feet. The Bronco also weighs more in virtually every configuration.

Regardless, even with gas prices going up and supply dwindling thanks to a shortage of tanker truck drivers and hacked pipelines, many Bronco owners won’t be overly concerned with fuel economy and likely expected this to be the case when they placed their reservations/orders. The bigger concern for them, at least for now, is when they might actually take delivery of their vehicle, as production could potentially be threatened by the ongoing chip shortage.

We’ll have much more on the Bronco soon, so be sure and subscribe to Ford Authority for more Ford Bronco news and non-stop Ford news coverage.

Source: Bronco Nation

We'll send you one email per day with the latest Ford updates.
It's totally free.

Comments

1. CE

Don’t forget to subtract for real world drivers & conditions!

2. Jean-Francois Rivard

It’s almost as bad as the 16.5 MPG I’m averaging with my 525HP GT350.. LOL. It’s the price you pay for entertaining rides.

3. Master Sparky

Now saying the 2.3L Inline 4 is 300HP (Maybe burning AV-Gas or JP4 jet fuel)… They can call it a flight worthy bottle rocket as long as we have to keep waiting.
    Has anyone got their pre-build e-mail from Ford?

4. Stalkbroker94

I figured a while back that there would be no distinct difference in fuel economy (outside of the margin of error) between the manual and automatic transmissions for the 2.3L EB.
    There were a lot of people who were assuming there would be at least a 5pmg difference between the two. Apparently, they forgot it’s no longer 1975.
    That being said, I’m sure the real word economy will be much worse for both transmissions for most drivers. Late braking, excessive acceleration, and speeding contributing to that phenomenon, typically.

5. NCEcoBoost

Great. The Wrangler beats those figures on all counts. But, in this class of vehicle, no one will care (unless fuel prices rise much more). Ford’s EcoBoost engines have always been subpar on the fuel economy front. First adopters will eat the Bronco up at a rapid pace. And then the recalls will begin…

6. John

Strangely not that much different than my 94.

7. MIKE BARANOWSKI

Wait till all the hype calms down. Ford makes out like this thing was designed and built by the hand of God ! Now the fuel economy numbers have come out and they are awful!!!!
    Typical Ford, over promise and under deliver.
    Not quite and Edsel, but no world beater.
    Let’s sit back and watch the show !!!

8. Rock Stevens

This is terrible. It’s pretty much the same as the ancient 4L V6 engine with the 5 speed automatic in my 4runner. You have to work hard on making a 2021 2.3L “eco boost” with a modern transmission have such poor numbers.

1. commbubba19

except the driving dynamics of the 4Runner are horrible. That thing is a slower than a 1 legged dog on xanex. At least with the same fuel economy you actually get decent acceleration out of either the 2.3 or 2.7.

9. G Washburn

It makes no sense to me that a non-Sasquatch 2.3L Badlands (both auto and manual) get worse gas mileage than a Sasquatch 2.3L Badlands. The bigger tires would create greater inertia to overcome so these ratings would appear to defy basic physics.

10. Greg

“Nobody expected good mileage” I did expect they could do better then this. I figured in this day and age a new vehicle with a 10 speed and a V6 TwinTurbo eco-boost could get at least 20 MPG? I am a life long Ford truck owner and ordered my Bronco early…I did expect it to get better milage then my F350 powerstroke but I guess they are the same and that disappoints me. I will still take delivery and hopefully enjoy it…but I think they could have done better.