2021 Ford Bronco Production Officially Underway At Michigan Assembly Plant

It’s been nearly a year since the 2021 Ford Bronco was revealed to the masses, marking the return of the iconic model following a quarter-century absence. However, the Bronco’s launch has been delayed twice and riddled with supply chain issues in the months since then. Regardless, 2021 Ford Bronco production is officially underway at the Ford Michigan Assembly Plant, which is the same facility (formerly known as the Ford Truck Plant) that produced the Bronco from 1966-1996 and churned out 1.1 million of them. To prepare it for the new Bronco, Ford invested $750 million and added 2,700 jobs to the plant.

It’s been almost exactly 25 years to the day since production of the last Ford Bronco ended on June 12th, 1996. Thus, the start of 2021 Ford Bronco production is a historic occasion, to say the least, and one that’s been a long time in the making.

“We know the fans have been waiting for the Bronco – and we’re so excited to bring it back,” said Suzy Deering, Ford’s chief marketing officer. “And this Bronco is better than ever. We’re staying authentic to Bronco’s goes-over-any-terrain heritage and have leveraged the brand’s Built Wild innovative design, durability, and advanced off-road capability to get the most out of every adventure in the wild.”

In addition to announcing the start of Bronco production, Ford also revealed that the former Ford Wayne Assembly Plant, located right next to MAP, will be transformed into what it calls the Modification Center. There, Ford will install customer-ordered Bronco modifications including safari bars, graphics packages, and roof racks, to name a few.

It’s unclear how many Broncos will be produced over the coming weeks and months, as much of that will be dictated by the supply chain. Currently, Ford is having trouble securing hardtops and is experiencing higher-than-expected demand for Wildtrak and Badlands trims, the Sasquatch Package, Tow Package, and 2.7L EcoBoost V6.

A handful of order holders have received scheduled for production emails with VIN numbers and estimated production dates, but many more recently received an email update with bad news, or no news, really. Ford admitted in that communication that it cannot provide order holders with any specific delivery window, but it also provided a bit of a consolation prize for those waiting – priority access to the Bronco Off-Roadeo.

For those that are holding out for a Bronco with a MIC hardtop or one of the aforementioned trim levels or option packages, it’s currently unclear how much longer they might be waiting. Ford said that it is “investing millions of dollars to fix our roof supply issue,” but admits “that investment, unfortunately, won’t materialize overnight.” But at least for now, it appears that it won’t be much longer before we see at least a handful of new Broncos on the road.

We’ll have much more on the Bronco soon, so be sure and subscribe to Ford Authority for more Ford Bronco news and around-the-clock Ford news coverage.

We'll send you one email per day with the latest Ford updates.
It's totally free.

Comments

1. Greg Jones

Is the Flat Top Mustang Plant back in operation ?

2. Ford B0n3rz

Give me a 7.3L option and I’d buy one. Broncozilla!

3. Harry Mack

Please, please, it looks like Ford Authority is either using writers from outside of the automotive field or hired some new ones. I am probably wasting my time but this error is found almost everywhere. I’m highlighting the term: “VIN number.” Think about it. When you use the term “VIN number,” you are actually saying: Vehicle Identification Number Number.
    Just say VIN. That’s it! Don’t add “number” after the abbreviation. If you don’t have any proofreaders, just add the incorrect term to your software list of things that it should pop up and show you that the term is incorrect.
    Just to let you know why this gets my attention, I will let you know that I am a retired professional writer and proofreader. I am not posting this to complain but to help make your informative and interesting articles correct in their composition.
    Also, please tell your internet tech staff that your web pages are not fully compatible with computers using Ubuntu instead of Windows. I had to switch computers to get this to post.

1. Brett Foote

I’m neither new nor did I come from outside of the automotive field, as I’ve been working as an automotive journalist for eight years now and also worked in the auto industry prior to that as well. I appreciate the input, but the term “VIN number” is commonly used in my field, as you’re obviously aware of.

1. Pedro77

Yep “VIN number” is also used by dealers, government, insurance etc.

2. The Gentle Grizzly

I’ll have more to say as soon as I’m done getting cash from this ATM machine.

:-{)}}}

2. Bob

Harry, one word, ZANAX. Get a few bottles ASAP!

3. Stalkbroker94

Harry, are you incapable of using Ubuntu? Also, it’s nice to see you’re one of those people. You don’t like to talk (hence why you never applied to the very position you’re critiquing) but you LOVE to correct other people. It’s the one thing you can do, and only on the odd occasion at that. You lead a sad, empty life.

4. Chris

Ok The big,, bulbous Ford Bronco is on the way to clog up our roads and parking lots. Oh yes and the big clown tires and removable doors! How nice! Now you can drive around town looking like a half-assed Mad Max road warrior.

1. blksn8k

Please go hug a tree and leave us blissful Neanderthals alone.

1. The Gentle Grizzly

He’s upset because she can’t get parts for her Th1nk anymore.

1. Ryan M

Sounds more like the EV1 variety of derangement.

2. GaryB

It’s mid size body on frame. Smaller than an f150. Guessing “clown tires” is the sasquatch package? Definitely a long way from being clown tires. Anything 40″+ would be cartoony looking. Removable doors upset you? Mad max vehicles had a combo of rust and v8s. These Ecoboost ice and aluminum bodies make it a poor choice for any mad max movies. Sounds like you should do better research and get enrolled for therapy/ anger management classes.

3. royl

The broncos are not “big”, more like a ranger, smaller than an F150. They won’t actually be clogging up the roads, but will form small packs at the local malls, and other large parking areas, in order to compare “off road equipment”. they will not be swapping off road driving experiences in their new broncos, as they may scratch them or get them dirty! Eventually ford may bring out an f150 based, Big Bronco (BB), as they already have the BS bronco (bronco sport). Reminds me of Goldie Locks… I wonder how long it’s going to take before they have their first recall, my bed is on the 4 banger ford along with their chinese made 7sp manual.

4. BRYAN

Maybe you should not be concerned what the market wants and go back to your wimpy scooter. The Bronco is not huge, you have European Complex. The predisposition that everything small and wimpy is better than what we have here in the USA. If you don’t like it here you can move. I will help with my F350 Dually.

5. Bob

Snowflake identified!

6. Stalkbroker94

You couldn’t afford one, could you?

5. blksn8k

Word is the first truckloads of Broncos actually left MAP on Thursday, June 10th which means they have been in production for some time and were awaiting OKTB.

1. Greg

Wow you have the inside scoop your so cool

1. blksn8k

Nope. Just pointing out that production did not just start this week as most are reporting.

1. Brett Foote

Funny, because this information came directly from Ford.

1. blksn8k

Not trying to make anyone look bad, just pointing out that when Ford issues an OKTB (OKay To Buy), which is what really just happened, that means that vehicles have already been produced and have passed the quality inspection processes and the production processes have also been vetted. In the case of the Bronco, this is a very important vehicle for Ford and I’m sure they are going out of their way to make sure the release is done properly. It doesn’t help that the Bronco has been known about for what, four years now? I’m sure Ford is also trying to satisfy customer expectations as best they can under the circumstances and not release any information that might give customers false hope concerning deliveries.

6. Chris

Yes Gary B I should have indicated that you can look like a half-assed Mad Max road warrior with a new paint job. Buckle up when you drive to the mall with the doors off. Is the Bronco meant to be a serious functional vehicle or a toy for some someone to play with on weekends.

1. Bill

What’s with you? Take your problems out on someone else.

2. royl

My guess is: The VAST majority of broncos (when and if they ever get delivered) will be Mall Crawlers. The percentage of broncos that see actual off road and/or trail use will be very small. In fact, I’ll go a step further, most will see far more time getting washed and waxed, than seeing any dirt/mud (God forbid). The vast majority of the new owners are concerned with color, color coordination, heated seats/steering wheels, carpet, sound proofing, sound system etc. But as a mall crawler, it will interesting to see the competition between the rigs, you know, who has the most “off road” equipment, most color coordinated wench cover, etc. We shall see.

1. blksn8k

If that’s what happens to most Broncos so be it. Jeep has had a monopoly on this market segment for decades with little or no competition. Like any well managed company Ford saw an opportunity to grab some of that market share and took advantage of it. And the consumer will be the ultimate winner of this competition by having better vehicles from both companies to choose from.

1. Stalkbroker94

I’m with you there. What’s also interesting to note is how well Jeeps hold their value. It’s the same as any other vehicle out there. The buyer says they’d be willing to pay X amount for a vehicle or the seller lists it for as much and people are willing to pay for it. With something else in the segment, I wonder how much that will impact things. The Bronco seems to be a pretty compelling alternative, but maybe Jeep responds by cleaning up their act and offering their clientele more for their dollar. This will be an interesting few years we have coming up.

7. David Dickinson

Finally! I look forward to seeing one in person.

1. Bob

David. Have seen a few out on the road testing. Believe me, nothing to get excited about.

8. blksn8k

Are you referring to the actual Bronco or the smaller Bronco Sport?

1. Stalkbroker94

He might be referring to the Bronco sport. I’ve seen a few instances where people are of the (false) understanding that the Sport model is the Bronco we’ve been waiting for. They usually have to get things clarified by explaining that the Bronco Sport is a smaller version based on the Escape (C2) platform and the Bronco we are anticipating is based on the same platform as the Ranger. I don’t think our friend has seen the full sized ones parading about unless he’s been to one of the events that Ford is offering to dealerships or lives close to the right Ford plant.

9. Chris

I know. Crazy. VIN number is how you say it. Same as ATM machine as someone else noted. There’s always gotta be someone with too much time on their hands.

10. Chris

Let me guess. You have two smokestacks coming out of the top of your dually short box.

1. BRYAN

Nope. Stock. Quad cab long bed.

1. Stalkbroker94

Nice what year is yours?

11. Explorer ST

So much anger in the comments. One of my most entertaining reads on this in some time lol.

1. Tim Papirnik

Anyway, have you noticed the silver bronco with what looks like a silver top? I have checked other reports that show the same bronco and from all the different photos and video it looks silver.

1. Stalkbroker94

Wait a second. You commented on a Ford Bronco article without whining that Ford didn’t provide you a live 24 hour feed of your personal Bronco being built because you’re a special little snowflake? You’ve grown 10-fold.

12. Chris

Why don’t you get in your old high mileage police package P71 and drive around town playing cop with your Sears walkie-talkies. Then go home to Mommie and she’ll have a nice piping hot beef and cheese casserole waiting for you. Yum!

1. Stalkbroker94

Firstly, my little basement dwelling, neckbearded, mouth breathing, salty friend, my Crown Victoria is one of a few cars I own. It’s not called a “police package P71” as the P71 designation refers to the car being an Interceptor package. It’s a retired unit, so all the goodies were uninstalled. It’s all white, so no one thinks I’m a cop and with the mods I’ve got, I would hope nobody besides yourself is dumb enough to think I’m a cop. I bought it because it was a hell of a deal and they’re iconic vehicles.
      Secondly, I don’t recall giving you a reason to quarrel with me, as I’ve not said anything particularly difficult to read or discuss. That being said, I’m not surprised in the least that you got so badly triggered, you had to assume everyone else led as sad a life as you. If your mom still makes you food, that’s on you.

1. Chris

Stalkbroker you mock and bully people constantly on this forum. Someone decides to give it back to you and you can’t handle it. We’re just trying to have a little fun. Lighten up.

1. Stalkbroker94

I appreciate you sharing your opinion, but here’s the thing…what you’re doing right now is hedging your bets. If you act like you’re only ever kidding I’M the one that looks like an ass. You’re projecting your own actions onto me, in hopes that my reactions to your comments make me look bad. I will say the exact same thing to you. Chris, you mock and bully people constantly on this forum. Someone decides to give it back to you and you can’t handle it. We’re just trying to have a little fun. Lighten up.
          I might be a bit straightforward in my comments, but I also give out as good as I get. I’ve never really had someone genuinely get upset at my comments because I’m used to my interactions being with people that have thicker skin. Feel free to stop replying, but as long as you comment on an open forum such as this one, don’t be surprised when people reply, especially with the way you talk.

13. blksn8k

You guys need to stop feeding the troll. He (or she?) will eventually get bored and find some other forum to disrupt with this childish nonsense.

1. Stalkbroker94

You’ll have to forgive Chris. He doesn’t understand a whole lot when it comes to vehicles. He assumes many things about other people just because he gets replies to his rather uneducated comments. I wouldn’t say anyone here is trolling, though. That which can be attributed to malice should instead be attributed to stupidity. Chris has that in abundance.

14. Bryan

2012

15. db

Now that Ford has the Bronco line fired up, I’m wondering how long it will take before we see one on the Canadian side of the border. I’m looking at Jeep but I’d rather be in the Ford flock. C’mon Bronco.