2021 Ford Escape Should Be Avoided, Says Consumer Reports

In recent months, Consumer Reports has gushed over the Ford Edge, naming it one of the most reliable mid-size crossovers on the market and one of the best and most affordable used vehicles for teenagers, a top SUV available for less than $40,000one of the best mid-size crossovers with standard safety features for under $35k, and a top 10 best SUV on sale today. However, CR members haven’t shown the same appreciation for the Ford EcoSport, while the consumer organization itself recently placed the 2021 Ford Explorer on its list of two- and three-row SUVs to avoid. Now, Consumer Reports is also recommending that shoppers avoid the 2021 Ford Escape, too.

CR put the 2021 Ford Escape on its list of popular cars to avoid list as a vehicle that sells well but doesn’t score near the top of the organization’s own rankings. It cites a number of reasons for placing the Escape on this not so prestigious list, including the fact that it “lacks the fundamentals to compete with the best small SUVs.”

Some of those complaints boil down to the performance of Ford’s 1.5L EcoBoost powerplant, which has plenty of power and returned a good 26 miles-per-gallon overall but is plagued by “an annoying vibration at low engine speeds,” according to Consumer Reports.

In the handling department, the 2021 Escape is “nimble and secure,” but CR finds ride quality to be a bit subpar thanks to an “underlying firmness.” Braking is apparently a chore, as the pedal is a bit sensitive to input, making smooth stops a challenge.

On the inside, Consumer Reports notes that the 2021 Escape’s controls are easy to use and that the rear seat is roomy when it’s pushed all the way back. However, it found the front seats to be a bit flat and uncomfortable. Throw in the Escape’s below-average predicted reliability, and it’s clear that CR isn’t a fan of the popular crossover, even though quite a few consumers are.

We’ll have more on the Escape soon, so be sure and subscribe to Ford Authority for more Ford Escape news and continuous Ford news coverage.

We'll send you one email per day with the latest Ford updates.
It's totally free.

Comments

1. Bob

Just an OPINION from CR.
    They change their opinions constantly.
    ho hum

2. David

1.5 litre? That’s comical. Probably be junk before it gets 100,000 miles on it.

1. Mark

You do realize that cars are far more reliable than any definition of “the good old days.” A honking big block V8 from the 60s-80s can’t touch a modern engine for reliability.

2. Jamie

Turbocharged to 181 hp, and does 0-60 in just over 7 seconds.

1. Nick

Had mine for about a year now. It’s a dang strong little motor. Super flat torque curve. I live in a fairly hilly area and it will pull along quite happily at less than 2000 rpms or just as happily run 5000 plus. If I keep my foot out of it it’s no problem to get 33-35mpg. I’m impressed with it for 91 cubic inches

3. Nettie1960

I have a 2020 escape with 1.5 motor. The only time it lags a little is whe u have it put in eco and then it’s when you almost stop before u get up and go, as for the ride this sits and rides alot better than a hrv and alot of other same sized vehicles, I drove alot of them before I chose my escape which I love.

4. Stalkbroker94

It’s the same displacement as the previous 4 cylinder option, but you wouldn’t know that because you think the only thing that matters in an engine is sheer displacement.
      I guess Ford should put the 4.6L 2V Modular V8 Interceptor into the 2021 Escape instead of the 2.0L I-4 Ecoboost. I mean, who cares about the weight distribution, fuel economy, or space under the hood. They both make about 250hp and around 280lb-ft of torque, right?

3. Aaron Swafford

I have a new bronco sport. I am in love with it and 5000 miles and no issues. CR trashed it. They should of tested my badlands. CR is so critical of American cars and loves anything across the pond. I had a 18 crv and tons of issues. CR kisses and loves on Honda. That is why after 20 years with CR I am not renewing.

1. NCEcoBoost

Fool. The Badlands version is WAY overpriced and the 2.0L EcoBoost isn’t worth the money – it’s had a TON of problems. Can you imagine having a nasty 3-cylinder in a off-road-intended vehicle? Neither can I. I’d pass on the Bronco Sport as I would the Escape. Ford’s not doing a great job these days.

1. Nettie1960

Really if you want an off road ? I drive off road everyday living on 6 miles of dirt roads. My 3 banger gets me through it all, and your transmission and tires also have alot to do with it to

1. MustangJim

the technology now totally surpasses what “was”. That little three banger never would of worked without modern technology, ie: variable timing, direct injection , not to mention turbo charging. That is a great little motors. I have had two 2,0’s and they are great, I have a 2.3 now as well. I will date myself here..but embrace the technology. I remember the following:
          Aint gonna drive them automatic transmissions, too slow for me
          Nothing but a V8 for me, noothing else matters ( that little 1.5 will beat the first 289 I ever had)
          I can go on and on.. but I’ll take a 1.3 eco over a “E” car anyday… and yes. I do still own a V8 Mustang

2. Ghosttraveler

Your opinion or actual experience?

2. Ghosttraveler

I haven’t paid much attention to CR for about 30 years now, I always wondered who was getting paid off to print such wheel spin smoke.

4. Josh

So is it just the 3 cylinder? Cause I’ve heard the 4 cylinder is pretty good and the hybrid is one of the best in the industry

1. NCEcoBoost

The 2.0L 4 cylinder turbo has had its share of troubles, along the lines of the previous 1.5L 4 turbo. Both were engineered improperly and have (or, hopefully by now, had) misplaced coolant holes in the engine block, which allowed coolant to mix with oil. There’s a pending class-action lawsuit covering up to and including the 2019 model year, but nothing for 2020 and later. Assume the problems were fixed for the ’20 model year, but I wouldn’t spend big bucks to get that engine.

1. MustangJim

Never a problem with my 2015 2.0… Never a problem with my 2018 2.0

2. Chris D.

Besides the updated block design on the 2 liter as you mentioned, the 1.5 used now is not the same engine family as the previous one. The current 1.5 is the “Fox” 3-cyl from the former Fiesta and Focus. It was known to be a relatively reliable engine per a Ford tech I watch on YouTube.

3. Steve

In 2019 Ford fix the issues with the ecoboost engine program. Ford has been making the 1.5 3 cyl in Spain for about 8 years with no issues. The 2.0 got revised also. Now it has 250 horses. Ford listened to the technicians at all the dealerships and mechanics shops for once. They knew there was a problem. At least the fixing it. GM hasn’t yet

2. Ed L

Hi, I own a 2020 Escape SE Sport Hybrid.
      Have driven it about 11k miles. Wife and I love it. No problems. Fantastic mpg.

Are you familiar with the Consumer Reports video show on YouTube—Talking Cars?
      The hosts of the show called the hybrid model “the Escape done right.”

5. Dr. Jim Adams

Consumer Reports has a long history of trashing Detroit while overrating everything foreign. Their “predicted reliability” ranking is not based on reliability testing, but usually marketing surveys. I spent 42 years in automotive quality.

6. Misha

I can agree with CR about the front seats but everything else makes my ’21 Escape PHEV the most relaxing car that I have ever had.

7. Cheryl Wells

I own a 2018ford escape with 1.5 eco boost and I love it, my family all have as well and have been excelllent

1. NCEcoBoost

See my reply to Josh, above.

8. Cheryl Wells

David, my brother has an escape with 100,000 miles, never have had problems, I take care of my cars and drive right, makes difference in any car

9. CHARLES

I agree to most of the replies.

10. Tom

In recent years. CR’s car reviews have shrunk down to several paragraphs. I find their ratings to be somewhat arbitrary and confusing at times. I think their reliability rating are based on only those readers that actually return their surveys. People tend to be more inclined to return these surveys when they have a problem. When purchasing a car. I rely on other car publications that do a much more thorough job with their car reviews than CR.

11. NCEcoBoost

Oh, STOP with all the Consumer Reports kindergarten whining. They have been spot-on with my purchases for decades. The Escape is a disaster. The 3-cylinder NEVER should have made it into this (or the Bronco Sport either) and the other choices are horrendously overpriced. It’s also underequipped across-the-board. And the brain-dead folks at Ford (whose numbers seem to be constantly growing) are DECONTENTING annually, rather than increasing content. Wouldn’t touch it with a ten-foot pole. Just dreadful.

1. Nettie1960

Sorry but I have one and it has no problems , got me through 10 inches of slushy snow with no problem. And through the winter I still got over 30 mpg,

12. Wanda

I really liked my 2017, until the paint peeled on the drivers side of the windshield and starting to peel on passenger side. Of course I was past my 3/36 warranty. Ford won’t do anything except charge me to paint it. I checked on the internet for any complaints…hundreds on 2017 paint peeling on each side of windshield. So I say, something was wrong with the paint in 2017. If I trade in, I will be penalized for the peeling paint, that is Fords fault. They should be recalled.

13. .Laverne Campbell

I have had a Ford Escape for 4 years now and haven’t had a problem with anything, works like a charm and am ready to get my new one in November

14. Valrie Benn

Had Ford’s for years, never a problem. CR always have a problem with Ford.It has become a joke

15. Glenu

I do see a problem with the CR’s evaluation of all vehicles today & that is the change in their final rating. It used to be “Recommended” or “Not Recommended” now they use the term “to be avoided”. They lay out the pros & cons for each vehicle carefully giving you specs & objective opinions on the topics they feel are the most important for the reader. That is well done but instead of letting you decide which vehicle to purchase they then sum up by advising which vehicles not to buy…ludicrous!

1. BP

CR is getting far too liberal in their “opinions”. Sour grapes 🍇 ?

16. Ronald Pfeiffer

I have a 2020 escape sel with the 2.0 best new car i ever owned. It has been Great.

17. Antonio L Dunn

Consumer Reports needs to just the hell up. They only really Japanese car company’s. They think the Rav4 and the CRV are the cream of the crop vehicles, which they are not. The Ford Escape has always been a consumer favorite.

18. Patty Coram

I agree with CR about the brakes. Very touchy. I slso hate the engine. Either feels like it is going to stall or it wants to start out fast. Our 17 Escape was much better. The storage compartments were also much better. I loved my Jeep. Will probably go back to that in a year.

19. Joe Lizzio

I have driven a 2013, 2015, 2017 and now 2020 Escape, for about a 220 k my miles. Virtually trouble free. All 2.0 Ecoboost.. Absolutely loved em all. I have found CR”s relentlessly negative bias of any American products, so frustrating, when always compared to their “go to” favorites, like Honda, Toyota, Subaru, Mazda, Porsche, BMW, Mercedes, Audi ect.
    They should be a European based Magazine/Show by now. I’d be more honest…

1. Ken Marshall

Our 1.5 Eco-boost is smooth with no issues in our 2020 Ford Escape SEL

20. Gregory Milliot

Hmm. Hard to take CR serious. I have a 2017 Escape with 133,000 miles on it. And I have to tell ya, I haven’t done anything outside of regular maintenance on it. And I’m not a Ford guy!

1. Ken Marshall

Sounds right, our 2020 is small, but we were down sizing from a Ford Fusion Titanium

21. Ken Marshall

The complaints listed must be unique to the 2021 Ford Escape, we have a 2020 and there is no vibration with the engine. They need a side by side review of both years, also great gas mileage if my wife can keep it under 80 – 85 mph on the Interstate

22. Donald Hayes

It seems like Consumer reports has an issue with all the Ford products excluding the Edge. I have never used their recommendations for buying any product. My Escape is fantastic. My wife’s 2017 Edge Sport is comfortable, roomy, great performance and my wife loves her Edge with 40,000 miles. My son’s Explorer ST and Mach E are two great vehicles with the ST being the family trip SUV with higher than average miles for a nearly 2 years old vehicle. He traded his Ram pickup and loves driving his ST. The Mach E is newer and driven by my daughter in law to and from work to carry my grandkids for shopping and school functions. My 2017 Escape Titanium has been trouble free with the exception of the infotainment center issue that was repaired in 24-hours. Come on Consumer reports. With your poor product recommendations I’ve decided it’s a waste of time even considering your reviews. Now I have the perfect fire place starters using your magazines. I certainly won’t be buying future new copies.

23. Ted H

2020 2.0 SEL is Awesome!
    Mileage is a little down…22.4 all intown, but it RUNS! Sorry, I leave it in Sport all the time.
    And the engine is smooth as silk.
    Little too much road noise, seats are firm (FIRM) but comfortable.
    Have towed a 12′ U haul with no trouble.
    Great Car.

24. William

Ford is always criticized for their products. One of the best car manufacturers in the US. Toyota is overrated, their trucks are junk. 2017 Fusion with 92k on it. No issues. Love Ford products very much.

1. Doc Beasley

Toyota trucks are junk? Wonder why so many used in cess pool countries with few roads. All pick ups popular around here I chose my Lexus & Wife’s Hi Lander. we see a lot around here.

25. Richard

Consumer Reports should be avoided.

26. Richard

NCEcoboost is all over this site making negative comments. It really gets tiring. Go somewhere else.