2023 Ford Fusion, Mondeo Sedan Spied With Less Camo In Metro Detroit

The Ford Fusion was officially discontinued in North America at the end of July 2020, while the Mondeo will follow suit in Europe at the conclusion of March 2022. However, the 2023 Ford Fusion or Mondeo will be returning as both a sedan and crossover-like wagon/hatchback. Ford Authority spies captured the next-gen Ford Fusion back in May wearing heavy camo, and earlier this month, we got our first look at the sedan’s exposed rear-end, which wears a set of Ford Mustang/Ford Mustang Mach-E-inspired taillights. Now, a 2023 Ford Fusion prototype has been spied in Metro Detroit wearing even less camo.

Even though this sedan was caught driving around in the Detroit area, the model isn’t destined for North America, which isn’t terribly unusual given the fact that Ford Authority spies spotted a Lincoln Zephyr prototype – a model that will be sold in China – near Dearborn early last month.

Unlike previously-spotted 2023 Ford Fusion prototypes, this one is not wearing heavy camo on the front end, giving us a good look at the sedan’s headlights and front grille, which are completely uncovered. The headlights are slim units with LED lighting that consists of a long horizontal strip along the top that curves around the outside, as well as three smaller “lines” beneath it. Overall, the headlight design is similar to what we’ve already seen from the sedan’s taillights.

Meanwhile, the front grille is oval-shaped, like many modern Blue Oval vehicles, and contains a 3D design with smaller ovals that overlap each other. Like the rear of the car, there’s also a bar that runs the entire width of the front grille, curving upward to meet the headlights.

Meanwhile, in the rear, the taillights also feature long horizontal strips located above three vertical notches that curve down around the outside of the taillights. As Ford Authority previously reported, the next-gen Fusion’s taillights are clear when they’re not in use and will light up red when the lights are turned on or the brakes are applied. These pictures show how the taillights work when the brakes are applied for the very first time, and we can clearly see the third brake light, which is located in the center of the bar that spans the width of the tailgate.

The next-gen Fusion/Mondeo shares much of its exterior styling with the China-only Ford EVOS crossover, though it features a lower stance. Currently, the sedan is being earmarked for China – just like the production version of the Lincoln Zephyr Reflection concept – and it’s currently unclear if it will be available in other markets, though Europe and North America will likely get the more rugged Active variant.

We’ll have more on the next-gen Fusion/Mondeo soon, so be sure and subscribe to Ford Authority for more Fusion/Mondeo news and 24/7 Ford news coverage.

Comments

1. Montana Man

I am not a bean counter for a big business, but I am for my little household, and I’m sure I’m not alone when I say, “Ford, I’d buy that”. Where I live, more and more Subarus are seen than ever before. Smaller, lower to the ground, etc; there’s a lot to like about a non-SUV.
    I hope Ford sedans will compete with all the imports, which seem to be doing just fine in their market segment.

2. Stephen Ketterer

Unlike their pickup trucks, Ford puts very little R&D into their sedans. That’s why the Fusion got spanked by the Camry and Accord in sales in the States. It was a nice car but not a great car. For a similar clams, you could buy a Toyota that literally needed no mechanical attention for 10 years of ownership outside of brake jobs. When the Ford breaks down, you’re dealing with a horrendous service department. Why be a glutton for punishment?

1. Venom5.0

Fusion sold really well, and the last 2 generations were sufficiently reliable even according to consumer reports. Hackett nuked it to make headlines for stock price.

1. Stephen Ketterer

I owned a 1st gen Fusion for 8 years.

It had a few issues, but it was a good, comfortable car that rode nice with a lot of great features. At 160k the ABS valve body stopped working and my brake pedal went to the floor. ABS system hardware failure? That doesn’t happen in the Japanese cars and should’ve never happened in the Ford. I can see replacing a wheel sensor or even an electronic component, but a valve body?

I’d still be driving that car, but for $1,700 to replace with labor, it was game over.

1. BillS

As opposed to the accelerator pedal getting stuck? Toyota has it’s $hit quality just as much as GM or Ford combined.

1. Ford500Guy

That’s right.. If your stupid enough to by a TURD, you ought to be smart enough to work on one. Ever try changing a alternator or starter on one?? What a pain in the BUTT… Iv’e been a Ford man all my 60+ years and will always be a FOMOCO Man…

2. Stephen Ketterer

Don’t use aftermarket floor mats.

2. keith

As a 40 year Ford owner that saw the light and switched to Toyota’s I couldn’t agree with you more. You ABSOLUTELY nailed it

3. JE

I guess it´s a matter of luck. I had a Camry and it was a complete mehcanical nightmare. It spent more time at the workshop than driving. On the contrary, my experience with Ford is very good. I owe a Mondeo (Fusion) and I´ve had zero problems with it and the car shows nearly 200.000 kms on the odometer.

4. N

I am going to have to disagree. My family has had Fusions and put over 200k on 2 of them and only did maintenance to them. They never let us down. Unlike other friends and family that have had Camry’s and Accords that have had to do major repairs. So nice try.

5. Steve

Just not true, police departments all over use the Fusion and cops beat the heck out of them and the hold up very well, I’d like to see a Camry do as well. And the suggestions Toyota’s don’t break down is ludicrous. The best financial analyst I know and I say that because his skills have earned him a 7-digit salary actually buys Jeep over Toyota based on a financial analysis of which one costs him more long term.

3. JE

Finally Ford shows a decent automobile and not a boring cookie cutter SUV or crossover. On the other hand, the tail lights are based on the Mustang and not on the Mach-e. The fact is that the Mach-e is a boring SUV with Mustang grille Mustang badges, Mustang tail lights and Mustang pretentions. I hope the actual SUV cancer ends soon, in order to see more cars like this Fusion/Mondeo. Not everyone likes SUV’s or crossovers or is willing to buy one no matter what.

1. John

The Mach-E is boring? Sure, it doesn’t really live up to the expectations set by the name Mustang, but I’d hardly call it boring either. That thing’s got some spirit.

1. JE

I´ve driven the Mach-e and I didn´t like it. As you say, it has some spirit, but compared to the original Mustang, it´s far far away and has nothing to do with the name Mustang. It´s just a make beleive Mustang.

4. Chris D.

In comparison to the outgoing Fusion, this appears to have a taller greenhouse which is not a bad thing. I have a 2015, and its roof is so steeply raked it feels a little claustrophobic inside. However, I’m not a big fan of the flat front. I wish they would extend the hood to make it downward sloping, and move the headlights down proportionally with it. That would give the whole of the car a bit more curvaceous and stylish look IMO.

5. fpvfan

it’s ugly, it’s a ford. Not impressed

1. Montana Man

K, thanks.

6. david R falk

i think ford needs to bring back sedans ,a lot of people dont like suvs,me there is a place for them but hey there is a lot of people who will switch to toyota because they offer a sedan thats priced to sell ,i know the tail pise on this camo car look stupid but why do it,does it take away from what you are looking at,love the look on the persons face driving the fusion ,like what ,lol anyways they will build what they think Americans want not what real car people want

1. John

I totally agree it’s a shame they’ve given up on cars in America. I’d love to see some genuinely fun, reliable sedans return to the market. I’d even consider buying one in a few years. At the same time, I recognize that Ford is in the business to make money, not to appeal to the very small set of people who are car enthusiasts. Sure, they’d sell some sedans, but that’s not the real issue here. Ford has a limited amount of capital with which to develop new vehicles. SUVs, crossovers, and trucks, with their higher profit margins and larger market share, will bring more money in for that investment than sedans would.

7. R. Walker

I certainly hope Ford brings back at least one sedan (Fusion or Taurus). I like the Fusion but, it is a bit small for travel. I always liked the Taurus on trips because it had leg and shoulder space. Bring back the SHO. I don’t think I will ever get the Mustang E. I just don’t care for it and I’m not an electric car fan. We take 900 mile (one way) trips seven or eight times a year. Gas stations are plentiful and quick. From what I’m reading, many times, folks pull in to charge their electric car and the station/unit is inoperable. Or, there is several vehicles waiting ahead of them. I can gas, pee and get a coffee in 15 minutes and be back on the road. It seems it may take 2-3 hrs. to get a recharge and the range will only be 250-275 miles. Heck, I have an Explorer and my range is 500-515 miles per tank. No complaints. Love it.

1. Chris D.

I agree with you. Bring back at least one sedan. I understand why they did what they did; there’s only so much capital and so much plant capacity. They had to focus on vehicles that brought them the best ROI. Look at the buzz being created by Maverick, Bronco, Bronco Sport & Mach E. The all-new Ranger is right around the corner. Ford couldn’t make that kind of buzz or profits with a sedan. That being said, I really think they need at least one. And please bring the European Puma over to replace the goofy, uncompetitive Ecosport.

1. John

Okay, so given what you admitted, why does Ford need a sedan? It brings less profit and less brand recognition. So why would they give some of that up for a sedan? (I’m genuinely curious about your thought process, not just trying to pick a fight. I’m probably missing something in what you said.)

8. R. Walker

I guess the one thing I can’t figure out is why Ford and GM can’t make a profitable sedan and yet Honda, Toyota, BMW, Nissan, Kia and others seem to have figured it out. Yes, they are foreign companies but most of them have factories and build in the US while Ford was building Fusions in Mexico at slave wages and still couldn’t turn a profit. At least Ford is starting to see the light and closing factories in India, Argentina, Brazil, etc…. where they have lost billions the past 25 years. Now, they need to close up and get out of Russia too. Nothing going on there. I think the union concessions Ford and GM were able to get back in 2007 or 08 have slowly been recovered by the Union over the past fifteen years and those things can drive up costs. Everything they need to build cars and trucks costs more every year. I understand that but, the foreign car companies have to pay more too and yet, they still turn a profit.

9. phillip h.

The Ford Fusion was definitely one of their better efforts. Without a doubt better than the last generation Fiestas and Focuses. I preferred the first and second generations personally and the last generation became too pricey compared to the competition. It would be great if Ford offered sedans, but thats the market unfortunately.

10. N

Ford bring us this car!!! I owned a Fusion, my mom is on her 2nd. Her first she had 220,000 and they did regular maintenance. That is it. So don’t tell me the Fusion isn’t a good car.

11. Rod Ferguson

The reason why Ford/GM are not making a profit on Sedans is because they both have made problematic vehicles that created a bad reputation toward consumers and terrible Customer service.. When you have a reputation like that you find yourself killing those cars and increasing prices on Trucks, SUV’s and crossovers by putting expensive options that the average person Don’t need !!!!. This a slot of depreciation on the value of these expensive low quality vehicles talk about fiddling while Rome Burns it sounds like Ford in GM huh….

12. Jacob Cook

Ford made a big mistake when they quit making Rear wheel drive sedans because front wheel drive cars wear out faster because the weight is on the front of the car. I think Henry Ford would be rolling over in his grave if he knew Ford quit making sedans because that’s what built the company from the start.