American Drivers Expect Their EVs To Go 518 Miles On A Single Charge

Among the handful of apprehensions American drivers have toward EVs, one of the biggest is range anxiety. However, opinions on just how far an EV should be able to travel on a single charge has long been a hot topic of discussion, with most everyone expressing a different number across a broad range. However, Deloitte’s 2022 Global Automotive Consumer Study has seemingly figured out just how much range American drivers want from an EV, and that number is 518 miles.

For this study, Deloitte surveyed over 26,000 consumers in 25 countries from September to October of last year to gather opinions regarding a variety of issues impacting the automotive sector and found that Americans expect an EV to be able to travel 518 miles on a single charge, on average. That also happens to be the highest number of any area surveyed, with the Republic of Korea coming in second with 397 miles, followed by Germany at 383 miles, Southeast Asia at 305 miles, India at 277 miles, Japan at 260 miles, and China at 258 miles.

Currently, the 2022 Ford Mustang Mach-E California Route 1 Edition is expected to be the longest-range EV in FoMoCo’s lineup next year, as it’s rated to travel 314 miles on a single charge. No other EV that’s currently on sale in the U.S. is capable of going 518 miles on a charge, save for the Lucid Air Dream Edition, which is rated to go 520 miles, yet sports an MSRP of $169,000 and is already sold out. The Air Grand Touring will go an estimated 516 miles on a charge and starts out at $139,000. Interestingly, a recent study found that EV owners, on average, drive around half as much as owners of ICE-powered vehicles.

Range is just one of the concerns customers have regarding EVs, including charging infrastructure and cost, though recent studies have found that many Americans and European remain receptive to electric vehicles.

We’ll have more insights to share soon, so be sure and subscribe to Ford Authority for non-stop Ford news coverage.

Comments

1. Thurston Munn

LOL….. well they are SOL !! They will be lucky if they even achieve rated mileage.

2. Ford Owner

Those who expect over 400 miles are lying, because few gas cars have such range. My Fusion Hybrid with a 12 gallon tank can do it because I get over 40 MPG every day, but it is the electric motor that gets that. The gas only Fusion cannot. And who is so stupid to drive non-stop for over 400 miles? Just get the EV you need and charge at home every night while you sleep ! Don’t spend more money for a bigger battery.

1. Billy

Mossville Il to Rochester Hills MI 6 hr 37 min (419.8 mi) via I-94 E
      St. Louis to Rochester Hills MI – 8 hr 35 min (557.1 mi) via I-70 E. without traffic, construction or detours. Done both many times, with a 10 minute fill up along the way.

Ford Mach-E range The all-wheel-drive version with the extended battery has an estimated driving range of 270 miles.
      2022 Ford Mustang Mach-E/Battery charge time
      95h at 110V, 14.1h at 220V.

3. R. Stack

I’ve driven over 400 miles in a single day in an ICE powered vehicle more times than I can count, so I’m not sure “lying” is an appropriate term. I recently visited national parks in western states and logged in excess of 500 miles on four separate days in a period of two weeks. I never once saw a charging station, but there were plenty of gas stations for my 4-banger rental. I do a lot of interstate driving and my concern with an electric powertrain has less to do with normal range than getting stuck for hours in a traffic jam and then being stranded with a dead battery. I can find a quick fill along the route, but I can’t find a quick charge to take me a few hundred more miles. My neighbor has a dual motor Tesla and he has been stranded on the interstate after getting stuck for hours in construction traffic. He couldn’t call AAA for an electric charge either. My city’s transit authority pulls electric busses off the street each winter because they can’t complete a route on a single charge, that’s not a good testimony. While I may eventually have one electric vehicle in my household someday, I’ll always keep at least one vehicle with an ICE so I can travel great distances in a single day without the anxiety of getting stranded. Range in excess of 400 is critical.

4. Montana Man

Nascent technology this isn’t, but the innovations are compounding exponentially.
    Five years from now, we’ll see in retrospect these initial reactions and responses and either laugh or cry.

5. Davo

I’ll make a prediction: In those
    states that ban the sale of new
    ICE vehicles in a couple years,
    the price of USED ICE vehicles
    will skyrocket. Companies like
    Carvana, Carmax, etc., will own
    the car market.

6. eRock9202

It’s the attitude from people like Ford Owner that make me not want to join the EV community. I don’t have the means to charge overnight where I live. However, I have family in Ohio that I visit occasionally a.k.a a 400+ mile long drive that I do in take a guess…… ONE DAY!!! Specifically, in about 9 hours; 7-1/2 driving and 1-1/2 breaks total. Not everyone lives in the nice suburban bubble where working, eating, and shopping are within a 10 mile radius of home. Some of us travel for work. Some travel for recreation. Some of us don’t have a plethora of vacation days and excess money to use to incorporate the current charging inconvenience of EV’s when we travel. Does this mean this inconvenience will always be there; NO! But it is a current reality.

People expecting EV’s to go a little over 500 miles makes 100% sense when you factor in the current long charging times. As charging becomes quicker and more accessible, the EV range expectancy will drop a bit. Once EV charging reaches close to gas-station refill times, we will probably expect the ranges to be similar to that of ICE’s. And you know what will be really interesting, if 500+ miles of range IS the average when we reach those quick recharge times.

EV’s are here to stay. Most people know that. But many of us will be sticking to ICE’s and/or hybrids until either EV’s improve to accommodate our current lifestyles or our current lifestyles improve to accommodate EV’s. Al we can do is wait and see.

7. Mark L Bedel

It’s interesting discussing comparative range of ICE versus EV without looking further down the road to the number of folks as a part of the overall driving population, who will NEED this long range. With work habits changing, i.e., more remote situations growing, and more younger folks living closer to city centers, will this prove out to be such a big issue?