2023 Ford Ranger Will Also Ditch The Traditional Owner’s Manual

When the 2021 Ford F-150 was revealed, it introduced a number of new and innovative features to the long-running best-selling pickup, but one thing was missing – a physical owner’s manual. Ford traded the paper manual for a digitized version in the new F-150 – which saved a literal ton of paper – though the truck does still come with some printed materials. It won’t be alone in FoMoCo’s lineup in that regard either, as the all-new 2023 Ford Ranger will also come with a digital owner’s manual, the automaker has revealed.

Like the F-150’s digital owner’s manual, the 2023 Ford Ranger guide will boast useful how-to videos and in-depth information on the pickup’s features via its SYNC 4A touchscreen. The digital owner’s manual is one of many new features present in the international market version of the 2023 Ranger (the U.S. variant hasn’t been revealed just yet), including a DIY-friendly bed, an e-shifter instead of Ford’s traditional rotary dial, and a standard digital instrument cluster.

As Ford Authority exclusively reported last year, the next-generation Ford Ranger will represent the first of an eight-year production run. The new Ranger will enter production in Thailand and South Africa in 2022, and at the Ford Michigan Assembly Plant in the spring of 2023. 2023 Ranger order books are scheduled to open for European customers in late 2022, with the first deliveries expected in early 2023.

Meanwhile, the next-generation Ranger Raptor will be available in the U.S. for the very first time, and as Ford Authority exclusively reported last week, will have a starting price of $52,500. The 2023 Ranger Raptor will also come equipped with the larger of the regular Ranger’s two infotainment screens, Code Red interior accents, paddle shifters, and other unique features, as Ford Authority exclusively reported yesterday.

We’ll have more on the new Ranger very soon, so be sure and subscribe to Ford Authority for more Ford Ranger news and ongoing Ford news coverage.

Comments

1. Greggt

What a bunch of Cheapskates!!
    When we got our 2021 F150 Lariat I looked for the owners manual, guess what there isn’t one! After having our truck since June there STILL are functions that we don’t understand or know how to work. I even asked the dealership if I could buy one, not available. Very disappointed to say the least!

1. Francois

If there’s anything you don’t understand on your truck, just do a 10 sec search on Youtube, you’ll find about 5-10 guys showing you whatever you don’t get in great details over a 5-10 minute video…

1. David K

Exactly. I’m thinking a troll.

2. David K

It’s becoming the norm sir. Be happy to know there was no cheap skating that went into design/engineering & building your class leading F150 truck. If your not a troll that is!

1. Gerald Pringle

People who buy & own vehicle’s need to change the new norm(What good is a truck when you get a Donut Spare, when you have flat & it has a heavily loaded bed). Or you’re towing. It’s just like the EcoBoost Engines(They don’t last like a Normally Aspirated Engine). People are getting Ripped Off). That’s Not Progress!!!

2. Gary B kempf

Yes very disappointed. I’ve had my current f150 for 18 years and I still look things up in the manual. It’s all about 📈 profits.

3. NCEcoBoost

Bean counters rule yet again!!! This is an awful idea. I want a hard copy to read in the house and mark up as I read it! Like missing spare tires (and other things, like up/down auto windows), this just screams “Hey, I bought a cheap vehicle”. Fire them all, STAT.

4. Charles Mozingo

I was so excited that the NEW RANGER was coming out in 2019, So I bought a 2019 DEMO on a Charlotte Ford Dealers lot. You are right, I had to go ask for a copy of the owners manual. My RANGER was the LARIAT, nicely loaded. It had 2000 miles on it when
    i bought it . The article here shows the RANGER with a RIGHT SIDE STEERING WHEEL, GO FIGURE. i have had 3 RANGERS & even with all the time that expired B4 I bought them the, owners manual, was still in the glove Box.

1. David K

I’m a huge Ranger fan too! Great truck. I happily own a ’19 XLT FX4 as well. There is a paper copy owners manual comes w/this vehicle. It’s the upcoming all new ’23 Ranger that will have a digital copy.

5. chris filizetti

Yes I also take the owners manual and read it end to end in my favorite chair, marking important pages like towing, fluids, and programming radio and garage door opener’s

6. James

Wait until you have a dead battery, then try to read the manual! I was taught “If you can’t say something nice, don’t say anything at all”, I’ll leave it at that.

7. R. Walker

It would be nice, if you could at least order one as an option. Would that please the bean counters ? I don’t know.

1. David K

Good question? Send it upstream. Should be made a available if you want a paper copy I agree. Keep truckin!

8. Jeffrey D. Sproul

Ford probably doesn’t want to go thru the cost of offering a printed manual because they figure only a limited number of owners would buy it. You can go on the internet and print a maintenance schedule and it might be available in PDF form which in that case you could print it. Most manufacturers are going to electronic owner’s manuals. I have printed various manuals on power equipment I have bought and yes I realize that those manuals are not 200 plus pages but if you want one bad enough you can print one.

9. David Dickinson

The customer-friendly solution is to simply ask the client if they would like a printed manual and give them one if they want one.

People are yelling at the bean counters (and they probably had a supporting role). But the real culprit is more likely data analysts and data brokers. They want to force you online so they can track what you are doing, sell the information, and aggregate the data for analytics.

The automotive industry is becoming less and less about the customer.

1. R. Walker

Bingo !!

10. Tigger

Is there a valid reason why Ford is doing this aside from saving a buck or two per truck? Hope it is not one of those “woke” save-the-trees PR moves.

1. David K

Everyone is going this route not just Ford. It saves paper an $ for the company. Should be at least available to order thru parts dept etc.

1. Tigger

If it costs $30k plus for a truck, whats an extra $5 if it makes even some of the customers happy? Heck, just add the cost of the owners manual to the MSRP if cost is such a factor.

11. Clive Bright

Yes I would love to have a owners manual.

12. Paul B Williams

Ford really dropped the ball on the 2019 Ranger. It looks nothing American. Looks more like a messed up foreign car. The last model 2001 was much more American. Stick with what works. Take a page out of Harley Davidson. It’s what we want. Hard core fans the meat of loyal owners want Amercan.

1. David K

Are you kidding? Everyone else that’s seen it absolutely loves the new look. I own a current model design Ranger an its an amazing truck. Have owned it since new.. 3yrs now. Been impeccable. Will be 1st in line for new redesigned ’23 model for sure. Not selling my ’19 Ranger either!

13. P. ALLAM

Ford & GM now Tech companies. No hard copies is progression of no paper workshop manuals. The driver is’nt always the owner & would’nt be able to familiarise him/her self prior to embarkation when away from the car when wishing to do prior ‘homework’. Everyone has a Duty, of Care, to ensure they perform safely when driving, or maintaining, a vehicle. This innovation could prevent anyone from fully carrying out their legal obligations. Could also stop drivers getting the best from their model & consider what the competiton offers at next purchase.

14. Area Man

Just wait till you have to pay a subscription fee for things like your heated seats and certain other options to work.
    Toyota and Honda and BMW already do it on certain models.

15. Bill Byrne

its a shame I thought ford was holding on to still be a good USA company, made me upset they are in china ( get out)guess not and I have a 2019 f150 in my driveway, most expensive vehicle I ever bought, im 66, and we also ordered a maverick for my wife in Oct. 21 ( still waiting)