2022 Ford Explorer Will Temporarily Drop Second Row Climate Controls

In recent months, the ongoing semiconductor chip shortage and various other supply chain constraints have led to some creative de-contenting on the part of automakers including Ford and General Motors. Aside from offering customers the ability to delete some features and take delivery of their vehicles sooner, automakers have also been selling de-contented vehicles with fewer features and fewer chips. Now, sources familiar with the matter have told Ford Authority that the 2022 Ford Explorer will temporarily drop its second-row climate controls in the latest example of these efforts.

Second-row climate controls are standard equipment on the 2022 Ford Explorer, but FoMoCo is temporarily producing the crossover without them in an effort to speed up deliveries, though it plans to restore the controls at some point in the future. Models impacted by the change will have a color-matched trim cover in place of the climate controls, as seen in the photo above, while the second-row climate settings will still be able to be controlled from the first row. The window stickers on affected vehicles will note this change and reflect a $50 credit called “Rear Auxilary Cntrls Credit.”

Additionally, this change also affects 2022 Ford Explorer models with second-row heated seats, which come as standard equipment on the Timberline, ST, King Ranch, and Platinum. Those vehicles will still be built with heated second-row seating but will lack the controls temporarily until they’re installed at a later date. Impacted models will have updated window stickers showing a $100 credit for “2nd Row Htd Sts Cntrls Credit.” 2022 Explorer models lacking these features are already being shipped from the Ford Chicago Assembly Plant.

This isn’t the first time the Explorer has faced changes brought on by the chip shortage, as the crossover also previously gained an auto stop/start delete option, as Ford Authority reported last September. Additionally, both the Chevy Blazer and Traverse have been offered sans heated and ventilated seats and/or steering wheels in the past few months, too.

We’ll have more on the 2022 Explorer soon, so be sure and subscribe to Ford Authority for more Ford Explorer news and non-stop Ford news coverage.

Comments

1. Paul bertrand

How do you think long term ford automobile customer feels when they order another brand new vehicle and 45 days later there is still no response on production startup but options like start/stop, heated 2nd row seats, and 2nd row climate control are being dropped after their purchase order has been submitted in good faith. ???

2. Joe Tylka

So who pays for the cost for the parts and the cost of installation when they become available?

1. Joe

Will the $100 credit be enough to cover my cost to have it installed? Most unlikely.

2. JT

It will be installed for free.

1. VM

How do you know it will be installed for free? And how/when will we be notified?

3. Dee Hart

so… Quality is not job 1 ?

4. Dee Hart

I have been seriously looking at both a 2022 Explorer ST and a GMC Yukon… My current vehicle is 16 years old and has served me well since new and it is time for a new one. $65,000 CDN + taxes is a lot of money for a vehicle. If Ford can not sell me a complete vehicle, I guess they made up my mind for me.

5. Joe

No more 2nd row console, no more 2nd row
    climate control. Should we expect no more 2nd row seats as well. This is what happens
    when you lose control of your supply chain. I will not place my ST order. Ford is making it hard for us American buyers to believe the crazy prices you charge are worth it any more. We want more value, not less.

6. Mike

I actually ordered a ST Explorer back in the end of June 2021 still have not received it.

7. USAMINDY99

I ordered my Explorer at the end of November and they told me 2 to 3 months and I still haven’t gotten it yet. If someone else ordered in June and hasn’t received it yet I guess it’s gonna be a while!

8. Vickie

I ordered a Limited Explorer end of November last year. I was told 2 to 3 months as well. My car has been in production since 1/18/22. Production was going to start 2/7 then was bumped up to 1/10 with delivery around 2/13/22. Then all of a sudden switched to 5/13/22 for delivery. Now it doesn’t have a date. We don’t know if that’s good or bad. I wish we could receive more updates in emails with what it is waiting for. Maybe offer items to have on hold to receive them faster. I was never offered the auto on/off switch removed from my dealer and would love to have it removed. I also wouldn’t mind having the 2nd row climate control on hold either. I’ll never have anyone in back so won’t affect me much. I just think customers would appreciate more email updates what is actually going on with their vehicles.

9. Renee G

I placed an order for my 2021 Ford Explorer ST in November 2021. My vehicle was then changed by the manufacture to a 2022 because the production stopped on 21 makes. My Explorer was oddly done early and ready before my estimated time frame arrived at the dealership no issues except I ordered it with the 2nd row bucket seat and was build with captain chairs instead. I still liked it and Ford gave me the credit back because the bucket or bench seat is a charge to change it from its org build speck. I hope ya’ll get your ST’s ASAP! See ya in the fast lane.

10. d. huts

Where is my 2nd. row climate controls, Just bought it and was deceived!!!! Who pays for this missing standard feature???