2022 Ford F-150 Lineup Gains Auto Start / Stop Removal Option

As the semiconductor chip shortage continues to wreak havoc on automotive production, forcing automakers like Ford to idle plants on a regular basis, many have sought to sell vehicles without certain features, including auto start/stop. As Ford Authority reported last August, this was the case – at least temporarily – with the 2021 Ford F-150 – and those that chose to do so received a $50 credit while also potentially speeding up the delivery process. Now, sources familiar with the matter have told Ford Authority that the 2022 Ford F-150 has now gained the same auto start/stop removal option as well.

The auto stop/start removal option will be incorporated into the 2022 Ford F-150 ordering system for previously scheduled orders including retail, fleet, and dealer stock orders. The option will be available on trucks that are produced in March and April under option code 52X, which applies to the following trims and configurations – pickups equipped with Ford’s 2.7L EcoBoost V6 and four-wheel drive, all trucks fitted with Ford’s 5.0L Coyote V8, and all 2022 F-150 models that come with the automaker’s 3.5L EcoBoost V6 – including the F-150 Raptor – though it is not available on 3.5L PowerBoost V6 hybrid pickups.

As was the case with 2021 F-150 models, 2022 F-150 customers that choose the auto stop/start removal option have a chance to take delivery of their trucks sooner, and will also get a $50 credit toward their purchase. Additionally, fuel economy labels will be updated to reflect the change. In addition to the F-150, the 2021 Ford Expedition also gained an auto stop/start removal option temporarily last year, while the automaker rolled out de-contented Ford Puma Design and Ford EcoSport Design models in Europe, which come equipped with fewer chips and fewer features.

Meanwhile, Ford has been forced to temporarily close a number of its assembly plants in recent months as the chip shortage continues to pose a major problem to production, one that isn’t expected to end until either later in 2022 or through the duration of 2023, depending on whom one asks.

We’ll have more on the F-150 soon, so be sure and subscribe to Ford Authority for the latest Ford F-Series news, Ford F-150 news, and continuous Ford news coverage.

Comments

1. crabbymilton

That should not even be on any vehicle anyway. I’m so glad my car didn’t come with that.
    Whomever is supplying starters these days are going to sit on Ft. Knox with starters crapping out because of that start stop. Just imagine how funny it would be if CHRYSLER still had that 1962-87 starter that was so loud with start stop. Everwhere WA WA WA WA WA.

2. Greggt

Wish I could remove it from my 2021 Lariat!

1. Jerry

For about $150 you can get an eliminator switch that plugs into OBD port. Don’t remember what the name is. You can Google it.

3. Mike

I’m glad they are now offering to remove thus stupid feature. I wonder how many people actually use it?

1. NCEcoBoost

On non-Fords, some can’t even disable it. Many pre-2022 GM vehicles, for example.

1. crabbymilton

I rented a CADILLAC XT4 on my 2020 vacation and a CHEVROLET MALIBU last year on my vacation and they both had the lockout position.

4. NCEcoBoost

This is one feature that should never have been developed. I don’t know anyone that likes it and it leads to low customer satisfaction. At least Ford offers an easy way to defeat it, unlike some rivals. Some don’t even offer the possibility. I’d NEVER buy a vehicle with this and not have an “Off” switch.

1. crabbymilton

If anything, you probably use more fuel by constantly restarting the engine.

1. Bill

It’s probably great for the life of the starter too

5. Johnny Tyson

I will not purchase a vehicle with the stop/start feature. I been told from many dealers that most cars and trucks starting 2022 will have that feature. Looks like most started in 2021. I’m shopping now for a new car and running into that problem finding a good new car.

6. William H Koehler

I have a 2022 Lariat FX4, 5.0 ordered by my dealer that was ordered with the Auto start stop removal. Not sure of the build date, but I took delivery on 1-15-2022.

7. Edward

My previous car, 2018 Ford Escape Titanium, had the Auto Start/Stop. Perhaps because most of my driving was for very short distances, after a few months the feature stopped working. I’d see the indicator greyed out with a slash through it. That meant that the system was detecting it should stop, but it wasn’t doing it. Took it to the shop, they said the battery was at 88% which triggered the Auto Start/Stop system to not activate. The only time the feature would work was when I’d take a longer trip to LA or Pasadena, then it would start working again for a week or so.

My new car, a 2022 Lincoln Corsair Grand Touring, doesn’t have the feature as it is a plug-in hybrid and doesn’t need it.

1. Ron C Arbaugh

If your Corsair plug-in hybrid does not have the start-stop feature, which I would NEVER order, my hope is that the Maverick hybrid would not have it either. Or, at least it would be easy to obtain a fix to that silly feature.