2009-2014 Ford F-150 6R80 Transmission Has One Major Issue: Video

While the newer 10R80 10-speed automatic gearbox endures its fair share of complaints, the older six-speed 6R80 transmission has proven to be rather reliable in 2009-2014 Ford F-150 models. However, there is one particular issue that can become a major problem, as YouTuber and Ford technician FordTechMakuloco points out in his most recent video. Previously, he’s gone into great detail about Ford’s 5.4L Triton V8 3V powerplant and its potential pitfalls related to spark plug selection, replacement engines, the importance of roller follower replacement and trouble signs to look out for, as well as common issues with Ford EcoBoost engines and 5.0L Coyote V8 coolant leaks.

In this new video, our resident tech takes a closer look at the biggest pitfall related to Ford’s 6R80 transmission present in 2009-2014 F-150 models -broken cooler lines. In recent months, it seems that techs have been seeing more and more snapping transmission cooler lines on these trucks, even ones that aren’t corroded, which is somewhat unusual.

As the tech points out, the transmission cooler lines on these trucks are rather beefy – measuring in at a half-inch in diameter – but that just means that when they snap, it empties out the transmission even quicker, leaving it high and dry. By the time owners realize what’s happening, it can be too late and either the torque converter or the entire transmission can be past saving at that point.

If total transmission failure occurs because of this problem, it can cost upwards of $6k – including the cost of the replacement transmission, lines, and labor – to replace. It’s a fatal flaw in an otherwise fairly bulletproof gearbox that can last upwards of 300k miles or more if properly maintained.

We’ll have more informative videos like this to share soon, so be sure and subscribe to Ford Authority for the latest Ford F-Series news, Ford F-150 news, and continuous Ford news coverage.

Comments

1. Tom Reed

Has Ford issued a recall for this item ? If not why not ? This issue sounds like the materials used to manufacture the transmission cooler lines was not up to required standards since similar lines over many years have not had this problem.

2. Roger Morris

I’ve own a 2021 F150 Platinum. In 7000 miles it has the same clunky noise that my 2018 had. The 10 speed needs to be corrected. It’s a sign that Ford doesn’t care.

3. Robert S

“For that reason, this particular truck was fitted with a bypass line that will at least prevent the transmission from going dry if a line breaks in the future, which seems like a great idea for anyone that owns one of these trucks that could potentially save them a ton of money down the road.”

?????

No, the bypass line was fitted to enable the truck to drive into the shop.
    Putting on this bypass prevents the fluid from going to the cooler, which will led to overheating and shorten the life of the tranny.

4. Blane Hebert

I have a 2014 F150. Would it be advantageous to go ahead and replace the cooling lines now?? Are the replacement lines of any different material??

1. Tom Reed

I have a 2013 F150 and am planing on having mine replaced but am in the process of trying to find out if I need to go aftermarket parts or FoMoCo parts…. if they never changed the material they use to make them I’ll go aftermarket.

5. Blane Hebert

Let me know what you find out.

1. Tom Reed

I haven’t forgotten you Blane, still waiting for my mechanic to research parts available.

6. Deadeye

I have a 2014 F150 TREMOR with 50k on the odometer. Reading the many cases of the cooling lines quick connect coupling failures has got me spooked. Now my couplings and lines look like they just left the factory, but that provides no solace.
    The aluminum of the coupling, where the rubber hose is crimped, shears cleanly in every case. This leads me to believe the crimp of the rubber hose clamp creates a stress riser in the aluminum, ultimately causing the aluminum to fracture after thousands of vibration cycles. A hose leak is one thing, but for a metal fitting to fail like this is a design flaw that Ford needs to correct. We’ll never know the design was changed, as this would indicate they knew the coupling was faulty. I guess you’d be safe if you replaced the lines every 50K-75K, but who’s going to do that? Until Ford says they’ve fixed the problem, I’ll cover the existing couplings with a thick coating of JB Weld hi-temp putty at the typical fracture location, and monitor the integrity of the JB Weld application every time I’m under the truck.

7. Rusty

Just had this happen the other day on my 2012 F150. I’m not surprised it eventually fatigues and breaks as the vibration traveling down the lines from the engine/transmission are focused on a point just below a clip that holds the line fast as it ducks under the radiator core.
    While I’m sure it could lead to transmission failure, it’s not “instant death” as the fear-mongering in the video suggests. Unless it happens after dark, you can definitely see the smoke roiling out from underneath as you oil up the undercarriage and exhaust system and get it off the road – of course that assumes the operator isn’t an oblivious driver.