Jason Fenske Got Over 50 MPG In A 2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid

One of the most appealing things about the 2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid from the get-go was its low starting price and excellent fuel economy, which, according to official EPA estimates, comes in at 42 miles-per-gallon in the city, 33 on the highway, and 37 combined. However, some – including Ford North America Product Communications director Mike Levine – have managed to extract as much as 50 miles-per-gallon from the 2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid, a number that was recently matched by Jason Fenske of the YouTube channel Engineering Explained.

Fenske posted the details of his journey in what is likely a Ford-supplied tester via Twitter, and they’re undoubtedly fascinating. Fenske drove his electrified pickup a total of 118 miles on a full tank of gas – minus what it took to drive the Maverick from the gas station to his house – and used a mere 2.3 gallons on that trip, which equates to 51 miles-per-gallon. However, Fenske believes that he may have actually achieved 59 miles-per-gallon when factoring in that variance.

Fenske did note that the truck’s trip computer was off when compared to Google Maps data, as it only showed an even 40 mpg on that trip, and also noted that the Maverick’s display indicated that he drove a total of 31.7 miles on electric power alone, which is what helped achieve that outstanding figure. He drove at speeds ranging from 60-70 miles-per-hour, with a little bit of city driving and idle time mixed in, which makes those results all the more impressive. Fenske also notes that he hopes Ford will eventually make an all-wheel drive version of the Maverick Hybrid, though the automaker will need to adopt the pickup’s new electric motor to work with the Ford Escape Hybrid’s e-CVT to do so.

Unfortunately, it won’t be easy to find or purchase a Maverick Hybrid as the pickup remains one of the most considered electrified vehicles on the market after extreme demand prompted Ford to stop taking orders for the 2022 model year back in January. FoMoCo originally expected around 40 percent of 2022 Maverick customers to opt for the Hybrid, but buyers quickly exceeded that mark by a long shot, as Ford Authority reported earlier this month.

We’ll have more on the Maverick soon, so be sure and subscribe to Ford Authority for more Ford Maverick news and non-stop Ford news coverage.

Comments

1. Perry

My opinion only I been buying Ford I keep trading in. Very dependable prices equal to others I never got stuck anywhere with them basic wear. Only. I highly recommend

2. Raymond Ramirez

Ford makes and sells the best hybrids on the planet. My 2014 Fusion Hybrid passed 50 MPG several times!

3. Dee Hart

Not to poo on Ford’s parade (because I ask this of all automakers). When calculating the MPG, using the hybrid function, has battery wear and tear usage been calculated into the actual cost of running the vehicle as we all know batteries degenerate over time. Do not get me wrong, 40 to 50 MPG in a mid-size pickup is fantastic. I guess, what I am asking is (on average) what is the life expectancy of the batteries based on milage & time in service before replacement?

1. Ralph Natola

Hello Dee, Don’t worry about battery life, the extreme savings on brake wear, and engine life will easily offset any battery cost, and unlike an all electric car, the battery is normal size under the rear seat, and is warrantees. My hybrid maverick easily runs electric 30% of the time, hitting 50 to 60 mpg highway and city combined. Using on board ev coach, I once got 98 mpg running short errands around town. It is great having control of my gas consumption without the annoyance of recharging every day. Best truck ever, get one when you can, you will love it.

1. Bob

No worries at all! $2,000.00 battery replacement, like a spit in the bucket.
        And when the controller & motor go out, just another few grand each.
        Extreme savings on brake & engine wear…ARE YOU HIGH??

1. John

Yeah! And maybe the engine will blow up and the tires will fall off! WHAT ARE YOU GONNA DO THEN?

2. Tim Duncan

The battery warranty is 8 years/100,000 miles. Looking at other hybrids, batteries typically last for about 12 years.

3. TVFord

You always hear these overblown concerns on the battery in hybrids. Think about it they have been around for a while now if it was such a horror they would not be. My 2002 Prius was supposed to be a battery nightmare and yet it still worked fine well over 100,000 miles (also warranty on Maverick) and well over 14 years later. Car had the least issues of anything and kept going strong until my daughter crashed it. The maverick is similar to the escape hybrid used by cab drivers in NYC and many are over 250,000 but done are noted over 400,000 miles and still going well. If you can’t get over the fear of battery issues in a hybrid and this keeps you from looking at the Maverick then sorry for that but I guess I should happy as better chance for me to get 2023 ordered. Waiting on when that opens up but guessing they will still it fast again. Best of luck in not buying into the fair narrative batteries are a horrible $ hole in hybrids. Just not true. There are cars that have major engine problems and there are lemons but beyond the anecdotal nonsense look at the overall satisfaction levels. Do you think this would be the case with a battery nightmare around a large number of vehicles? It is always a risk. When I bought that one in 2002 it was way early and I had heard some had 300,000 miles with no issues and others did not make it to the 100,000 and others I knew it was a risk as no 0 risk deals. I also knew the odds of me having to replace it after 100,000 but before 200,000 was very small. Up to you what is acceptable but for me it was and very happy I made that choice.

4. Ralph Natola

Sorry Bob, I have some faith in this ten year old technology and like being optimistic about the future.

5. Dennis Driscoll

I have hit over 50 mpgs several times. In the last 3 tanks of fuel. Averaging total in all 4 tank fill up. Average of 44.4444 mpg. Which doesn’t stink.

6. Nick Steblay

I have two Ford C-Max hybrids. Mileage varies greatly on trips for hybrids. It depends on so many factors. On a nice spring day while driving in rush hour traffic I can easily get over 50 MPG. On a cold winter day driving at full highway speeds I may only get 35 MPG. Overall from day I got the car I am right around 42 MPG. The estimates Ford posts are probably close to what people will get overall.

7. Barry

I regularly get 51+ on my 70 mile roundtrip commute with 39 miles of electric driving in there. Maverick hybrid is a great all-around vehicle.

8. Michael

Sure, it is such a great vehicle, but who knows and who can enjoy it, since they cannot make enough of them, not even close to enough. So what good is it?