2022 Ford Maverick Owner/Detailer Says Paint Quality Is Subpar

After receiving glowing reviews from experts and critics alike, the 2022 Ford Maverick has quickly become a sales success, ranking among the fastest-selling vehicles on the market, attracting owners of other brands, and even handily outselling its mid-size counterpart, the Ford Ranger. One of the main reasons behind this success is the fact that the 2022 Ford Maverick is shockingly affordable, but it also seems as if there are some concessions that were made to keep it at a certain price point – at least in the case of one owner and professional detailer that’s also a member of the Maverick Truck Club – Paragon Automotive Detail.

The owner recently detailed his 2022 Ford Maverick for the very first time, and during that process, noted that “these trucks have little to no paint on them.” As such, he recommends not letting a dealer or anyone else touch the truck before it can be detailed and ceramic coated, as this will prevent scratches from having to be removed during that process.

“If you or your detailer are going to polish the truck in any way, they NEED to do a paint reading with a paint depth gauge,” he said. “I was shocked at how little clear coat was on certain parts of my truck and had I not taken the right precautions and measured the paint, I’d be in a lot of trouble. Luckily I had no dealer instilled scratches or swirls and I was able to simply wash, carefully decontaminate the paint with an iron remover, sap remove, tar remover, and followed up with a careful clay bar. No user inflicted marring. Had I not been experienced at this, this would have been a turning point in the project for a lot of people. I’m shocked at how thin the paint is and so thankful I am not busting out the polisher.”

“For reference, you have about 1.5-2.0 mils of base/color coat on a car,” the owner added. “That’s thinner than a Post-It Note. Most cars have about the same amount of clear coat, sometimes less and sometimes more. After reading as low as 2.28 on some places that’s a sign there is very little to no clear coat on these vehicles.”

As anyone who’s ever done paint correction knows, this is the most time consuming part of that process, which means that it also costs more money to pay someone else to do it. Plus, as the paint is somewhat thin, owners won’t want to burn through what they have to begin with, either, as that could lead to even more expensive work.

We’ll have more on the Maverick soon, so be sure and subscribe to Ford Authority for more Ford Maverick news and non-stop Ford news coverage.

Comments

1. Jen

one opinion on one vehicle….

2. DWH

Why would you allow a story from one owner who supposedly has a detailing shop complaining about a paint issue on his Maverick be published. Why didn’t he approach the dealership where he purchased his vehicle. From the pictures shown. The vehicle looks great. Maybe some free advertising for his detailing business. I think of a real issue with the Mavericks paint would include more than one person.

1. NCEcoBoost

They allow it because I have no doubt it’s true. See my post below.

2. chris

Hiding the truth never works nowadays. I bought my mom a nissan in 2003 and it had an oil consumption issue. The way I was treated made me go to toyota and buy her a camry. That 2009 camry had an oil consumption issue and toyota told me “we know there is a problem and we will stand by our cars”. They did the bearings and fixed the oil consumption issue even though the car had over 100,000 miles on it. They bill was zero. I have only purchased toyota and lexus since then for my mom, wife, and daughter. How ford handles issues, will make a difference. Customer loyalty matters.

1. MAGA

They bill. . .?

3. Ryan D

The dealership will laugh in your face if you try to get them to do anything about your paint. It’s a forum where people go for information and to share their experiences and that’s just what I did. And all I’ve heard is thanks for putting it out there. A simple google search would show you I’m not the first to complain about thin paint and this is NOT the first new Ford I’ve seen with paint dangerously thin. It’s a very common issue with a lot of manufacturers and we are really seeing it a lot with high demand vehicles like Broncos and Mavericks. Paint is the longest process of the build and these manufacturers are literally waiting for paint to dry.. How do you speed up the process? Paint it thinner.

1. P.R.Ford

Define “a lot”. I think manufactures know thinner paint than specified means more warranty outlays. Nobody ever made money doing warranty work. That’s not to say it doesn’t happen, but I doubt its “a lot”. Today’s high tech paints don’t require nearly the thickness of the paints of yesteryear. I’m not going to make my bests based upon the claims of a guy with a detailing shop using a $100 tool he got off Amazon.

3. NCEcoBoost

It probably has extra thin sheetmetal as well. One door ding and it’s in the thousands to repair. I say this because of the untrustworthy reputation that many manufacturers, including Ford, have achieved by their sheer stupidity in handling this purported “chip crisis” that few believe is real any longer. So, pay MSRP or more and get subpar quality. Kaching goes the cash register.

1. Robert

So what are the corrective actions?

1. P.R.Ford

New vehicles have a paint warranty. Ford’s is 5 years (no mileage). That’s longer than most original owners keep their vehicles.

1. jay johnson

LoL, have you tried to take a New Ford in for a lot chips showing up, They consider that road buzzard, there are tons of posts on social media groups about it, 1 pot the guy had random chips on his tailgate that looks more like pieces just fell off and his dealer told him to bad so sad… now if you have orange peel or fish eyes thats different but they dont do Squat about chips/scratches for normal driving that you Usually dont get with other cars due to the Sub-Par Paint

4. Mike

What do you expect, for such an inexpensive vehicle? They have to cut costs somewhere, to get the price so low. What, you expect BMW quality, from a $20ish thousand dollar vehicle?
    Every $20ish thousand dollar vehicle on the market is cheaply built, why would the Maverick be any different?

1. Darrelle Beavis

You lost me at BMW quality.

1. 330ci

I was thinking the same thing…..

2. chris

If you try a lexus and get adjusted to never ever breaking down or being towed, you will never be happy with a bmw. I am 54 years old and only buy lexus/toyota now. But, being a hybrid, having the better cvt trans without all the pulleys, being truck of the year, and being twenty grand new, even I am here looking into this maverick. It might be a huge leap forward for ford, if they do not mess it up.

2. Greg Shultz

Every $20K vehicle? Hmmm… however the very best is many times more expensive than the wholly adequate.

3. jay johnson

inexpensive should have ZERO to do with paint thickness, there should be a standard, ive bough cars under 20K and paint had No issues

5. IncontinentiaButtox

Come on Toyota…time to announce your hybrid compact truck…

1. chris

Very doubtful. I am 100% lexus\toyota but they were late on going full electric (a bog wig at toyota felt electric was not the future and they focused on hydrogen which was simply the wrong move in hindsight) and announced plans to throw a lot of money into full electric and catch up. The prius was a success for them but I believe any future trucks from them will be fully electric. Many people (like me) who are interested in the maverick, have never owned a pick up before. I know people say the maverick is “not a real truck” but maybe it is truck enough for many of us, when you are saying over 40 mpg and 20 grand new. The only hurdles I see is 1- you can not find them for msrp right now 2- we have to trust ford that they will not fall apart. I have never owned an f150 but ford has been making trucks a long time so lets hope they do not mess this chance up. I will buy fords again if they can give me a reliable vehicle I can trust at this amazing price and amazing MPG.

6. Pedro77

It’s a super cheap econobox.

7. JBbooky

The paint on my ’17 Mustang chips way too easily. No doubts about the Mav being any different.

8. Kenny D

Based on what I know about Detailing a Vehicle, and Ceramic Coating’s, This Feller here is probably Hitting The Nail Right Square on the HEAD!!!!! Surprised?? NOPE, Not me. What can the Buyer do??? EXACTLY what is said in this article, DO NOT let the DEALER WING NUT’S go to Town on your PAPER THIN Paint Job with a Buffer. DO NOT let them Run it through their “BRUSHLESS” Car Wash!!! (IT AIN’T BRUSHLESS FOLKS). I’d ask the Dealer upon Delivery, to Do Nothing Except the PDI upon Delivery, Pick up the Truck/Vehicle, and Take it to a Reputable Detailer and have them do your Wash/Detail, and if you want to PAY for a Ceramic Coating, (That By the way) Need’s attention, and eventual Re Coating, it “MIGHT BE” worth it. Or, It isn’t that awful hard to do after the First Detail/Cleaning of the Truck. If you Plan on Doing the Ceramic Coating yourself????? Tell your Detailer when you take it to him so he can leave the Pain in a condition to Accept the Ceramic Coating you Plan to put on your NEW Truck. Good Luck. And YES, this Guy is RIGHT!!! The Paint from FORD Is Sub Par, at least on this Wanna Be TRUCK. Get a MIL Gauge if you don’t believe it, Measure your own Paint, Then, Raise an Eyebrow!!!! Or, Better Yet, ask FORD What the Warranty is on your “PAINT JOB”????

1. Ryan D

This!!!!
      This is Ryan @ Paragon Automotive Detail. Some of you understand and some of you won’t, and that’s okay. Truth is, I was simply trying to help out the good people on the Maverick Forum I frequent and I didn’t ask for this article to be written. This is a national forum… don’t be so naïve. I haven’t booked a single job off my post, let alone off the forum so try again. If you have questions, feel free to ask and I’ll be more than happy to do my best to explain. However please remember that denying the truth does not change the facts I’ve laid out in my post. Thanks

2. P.R.Ford

Ford warranties their paint for 5 years. No mileage limit.

9. Black Beauty

I know nothing about how to professionally detail a vehicle but could build you a house that will last a great while.
    I had my Maverick ceramic coated right out the gate knowing it would not hurt.
    And as a layman in regards to paint I will attest it does seem thin.
    Unfortunately my windshield needed replaced and the tech hit the hood with the wipers and chipped away the paint and left a flake hanging that seemed extremely fragile.
    Like they say buyer beware and pay attention.

1. P.R.Ford

Its not the thickness. Its the hardness.

1. T.S.Elliot

THAT’S WHAT SHE SAID!

10. Mary Barra Fan Club

GM & Ford are always copying each other, it’s really stunning…

When Ford started Killing Americans with their cars that incinerated Americans, GM immediately got busy devising a way to Kill. Only because Ford got nailed in court, GM chose a more ingenious method, Ignitions that turn everything off causing a crash, ergo, driver error. Brilliant.

GM now makes Peeling Paint. Ford, not content to allow GM to dupe Americans, figured out a way to get into the defective paint game too, not to be outdone by GM of course. But GM has gotten the jump on Ford, GM now has Self-destructing Engines, Disintegrating Wheels, Defective Airbags, and don’t fool yourselves, GM is devising new ways to Kill Americans this very moment.

11. Ivan

I checked the paint on my Silverado with my metal tape measure. Everything seems ok but now I have all sorts of scratches all over the truck.

12. Juan Martinez

What is the color of your maverick? It looks great with that polish

13. George outside Roanoke

Sounds like corporate America greed – screwing the buyer over & over; it’s all about paying the millions to the CEOs & max dividends to the stockholders.