2022 Ford Maverick Owner Had No Problem Ditching His Tacoma: Video

The 2022 Ford Maverick has been a hot commodity since day one, exceeding FoMoCo’s expectations by a long shot, turning in just four days on dealer lots, and even outselling its mid-size counterpart, the Ford Ranger, by a significant margin. The Maverick is in such high demand that many owners are flipping them for a profit, making the compact pickup one of the fastest-selling used vehicles on the market, too. Perhaps most interestingly, the 2022 Ford Maverick is gaining most of its customers from owners of other branded vehicles, which was the case with YouTuber Daily MTB Rider, too.

The new Maverick owner recently made a video explaining why he got rid of his Toyota Tacoma – a mid-size Ranger rival – for the new, fuel-efficient pickup, and it’s rather interesting. In fact, he owned a Tacoma TRD Pro, an off-road-focused model, and traded that in for a base XL Maverick, even though he’s an avid mountain biking enthusiast.

So why make such a dramatic switch? Well, for starters, our host points out that his Tacoma’s fuel efficiency was “pretty terrible,” and noted that it was actually more capable than he needed it to be, traveling mostly down paved or mild unpaved roads to trailheads. Couple that with the fact that his Tacoma was worth more than he paid for it, and it was a pretty easy decision to make.

But after considering another Tacoma at first, he was quickly enthralled with the Maverick Hybrid’s incredible fuel economy ratings and bargain basement price, so he opted for a bare bones version and bought some Ford Bronco Sport wheels off a friend to spiffy it up a bit. Though he was worried that the Maverick might not meet his needs at first, he quickly discovered that it’s actually roomier inside than the Tacoma, and more capable than he originally thought, prompting our host to recommend that anyone consider a Maverick when shopping for their next vehicle.

We’ll have more on the Maverick soon, so be sure and subscribe to Ford Authority for more Ford Maverick news and ongoing Ford news coverage.

Comments

1. Scott

Will you people please shut up its hard enough to get a Maverick the way it is

1. Robert

Agreed. I ordered a Maverick in June 2021 and I’m still waiting and will probably be shoved into the 2023 model year. Seems commercial accounts like Terminex as well as other countries are getting Mavericks first. Dealers are pricing over MSP as well. Why give dealers inventory when loyal customers are waiting.? The Maverick will be “seen” on the road via loyal customer orders that are delivered just as well as a truck marked up thousands$$$$ by a dealer.

2. JBbooky

” the fact that his Tacoma was worth more than he paid for it, and it was a pretty easy decision to make.” I wonder if he got a deal on the Mav?

1. MAGA

Doubt it. Not with the increase of dealer greed.

3. Dennis Lee

The response from others is “ that’s a pretty good looking truck”. When they ask what I paid for it, the eyebrows raise, as if I am telling a story.

The miles per gallon on my hybrid is between 38 to a high of 49. It’s probably the greatest roll out of a model since the Mustang.

4. Lurch

Congratulations, Ford. Your vehicle kicks Hyundai’s butt and beat GM and Stellantis to the punch–and of course Toyota. Watch for Honda to come out with a smaller version of the Ridgeline (the “Trailhead”?).

1. JohnTaurus

I’m thinking Honda is kicking themselves for basing the Ridgeline off the Pilot and not the CRV. The Ridgeline is terrible at truck things, but still very expensive and inefficient. It’s literally the worst of both worlds.

5. John

Yeah they are doing ridiculous marked up on the maverick. Just check it out. It’s insane.

1. MAGA

Damn right it’s ridiculous. Lots of Ford lovers are getting fed up with Ford and their dealers for that very reason.

1. JohnTaurus

As though other dealers aren’t marking up too? It’s ONLY Ford, right? Do some actual research and find a dealer not marking up and deal with them. The supply shortage is affecting every automaker and many dealers are doing what dealers typically do: F you ten ways from Sunday if they can.

6. Jeffrey D. Sproul

Completely agree love my Maverick XLT hybrid and don’t miss midsize pickups.

7. Tomtom

One small issue, you pay for a maverick 5-10k$ more then mSRP making it expensive and. It worth buying.
    Loom at the dealers, models of 19-21k$ sells for 25-32k$ . Why ??

1. MAGA

The dealers are price gouging. Taking advantage of their customers. Email Ford about your concerns of dealers cheating Ford customers out of their money which may cause them to go elsewhere and Ford will lose loyal customers because of dealer greed. Tell the dealer you want it at MSRP that Ford established or you walk.

8. Lanie

Because they can. Basic Econ 101.

9. John

Hope the long term reliability is there.

10. Notta Trumpanzee

what self respecting man would ditch a tacoma, any generation, for the likes of a maverick. the maverick is like the epic ford tempo, remember that winner. did they even try to put any effort into it.

1. JohnTaurus

They put more effort than you do into trolling, so, there’s that.

And phuck an overrated Tacotruck

11. GM fan

Toyota people are Toyota people, Toyotas are the most reliable. Who trades in a Toyota for a ford?

1. Larry Allen

Certainly not me. I’m on my 6th Toyota. I’ve never had a minute’s trouble out of any of them

1. Andy

I will. I’m a pretty solid Toyota guy, had many of them, and am still driving my ’03 Tacoma. But Toyota has thumbed its nose at the folks who want a small, efficient truck. I have zero interest in the bloated, gas-hog Tacomas. As much as I hate to leave Toyota, my next truck will very likely be the Maverick, because it fits my needs, not what Toyota wants me to buy. Simple as that.

12. John Wayne

I will buy American products only. Toyota can go back to where they came from. People please remember your history… I personally wouldn’t even let them in NASCAR. But most young Americans just don’t care. I wouldn’t own a Toyota if it was given to me……

1. Bruce Wayne