Ford Brochures To Be Completely Phased Out By 2023

The Blue Oval is making pivotal changes to its operations this year, and some of the shifts are seismic in scope. As Ford Authority previously reported, the automaker is dropping a massive $50 billion towards its EV transition, and has reorganized its operations into two distinct entities aimed at separating its internal combustion and fully electric vehicle development programs. Additionally, it’s hammering out plans for fixed pricing and even expected to dramatically cut down on advertising and marketing costs. Now, a report from CarsDirect indicates Ford brochures are hurdling towards extinction as another paradigm shift amid a sea of changing tides.

According to the site, Ford dealers received a letter that outlined what is about to take place last week. Ford brochures of all shapes and sizes, including print and digital versions, are expected to be completely discontinued after the second quarter of 2022. The company cited budget constraints and the ongoing microchip shortage as the culprits responsible for killing the Ford Brochure Program, its official name. As for exact details, brochures are slated to be phased out after tomorrow, which coincides with the last date that Ford dealers can order any 2022 model year brochure. This is no doubt a huge loss for the enthusiast community and for consumers, who will most likely be forced to rely on digital sources like the company’s own website if they want information about trim levels, packages, powertrain information, options, and other pertinent specifications too.

As Ford Authority recently reported, the company launched the Ford Heritage Vault earlier this month as an expansive digital repository of historical documents. Ironically, this new resource is chock full of classic Ford brochures from yesteryear but also features more modern vehicles too, as visitors can easily pull up Ford Flex and Ford C-Max brochures if they are curious about how The Blue Oval packaged and sold those particular products.

We’ll have more on this development should anything change, so subscribe to Ford Authority for comprehensive Ford news coverage.

Ed owns a 1986 Ford Taurus LX, and he routinely daydreams about buying another one, a fantasy that may someday become a reality.

Comments

1. Crabbymilton

I can understand phasing out paper brochures but why digital version? A brochure is a great way to compare options on the models. I have boxes of these things collected over the past 40 plus years. I even bought many on EBAY that I really wanted from decades ago.

2. zippy

If they’re spending that much on creating digital brochures, then I am in the wrong business. But this news really sucks. Brochures are the go-to source for information about vehicles made in previous years. Will Ford keep all this info in their vault for us to refer to? If not, then what? But if so, then where’s the savings?

3. Mike

Not liking this . I have every brochure from every Ford vehicle I have bought in the last 50 years (close to 20). Great way to reminisce. Next it will be the owners manual. Oh, wait…

1. Dwayne D

I always check the owners manual. It’s quicker and more convenient than going through your phone looking for part numbers and specs. Plus i can highlight what I need. Another bad move that makes it harder for the high paying customers

4. Birdman 02

I understand this to a point. I have thousands of these brochures, all makes, but mostly Ford, dating back to the 50s and some even earlier. They have been very difficult to source for the past few years. I just wonder what this does to the value of what I already have. Especially the more recent years. A big part of memorabilia collecting that will be gone.

1. Tigger

I remember when I was a kid, my friends and I would go to the dealerships to get the latest brochures. Kind of a rite of passage. The dealers did not seem to mind in most cases.

I know employees of the Big Three used to be able to get brochures at the plants or offices they worked at. It was a good tool to get friends/relatives interested in the product.

2. Dwayne D

No makes things for memorabilia collection but it is a useful tool.

5. Tigger

What another dumb move on Ford’s part.

1. Tigger

When I make a major purchase, I want all the literature I can get. A brochure, in one place, puts all the information I want in a neat package without having to flip thorough different screens on the computer. This should be used in conjunction with other tools like the Internet.

If Ford is so cheap they do not want to provide a brochure, here’s an idea: Charge the customer $3 or $4 for one, with a coupon inside that reimburses the customer on the purchase of a car.

2. Dwayne D

They are cutting their own throat with all these new moves.

3. Falcon

Yeah Tigger. Seems like most posts written here are of the negative variety. F doesn’t seems to do much right through our eyes. It is a money saver, but what isn’t? Should every money saving ideas be implemented? My 2021 Edge ( that will be discontinued next year) has the manual built into the software in the center stack- radio- climate control screen that doesn’t work sometimes (another great idea built by Ford). In some instances the e- manual doesn’t really explain HOW an option operates but just what it does, if that makes sense. I’m trying to figure out what putting the transmission selection dial to ‘S’ does. No paddles on the steering wheel for a sport mode driving characteristic, manual shift. The manual just tells you it’s there. I have the paper manual and is the same. Digital manual could work, but I’m old school. Change is good if it works better than what it’s replacing. In my opinion, this isn’t better.

6. Dwayne D

Agreed great point

7. JBbooky

Had one of those plastic scale model promos, way back when, and poured over the brochures. Sure made a kid crave a certain model. The ’63 XL lineup comes to mind. Well, kids have their head stuck in their little hand held thingy now.

8. crabbymilton

Like I said, they can put a digital version up and then update it as needed. Then you can save it in your own files to archive it and print them up all you want. I still remember going to dealers and hated the dealers that you had to talk someone to obtain one. Then they wanted your name, phone number, address, mothers maiden name, name of your first pet…just for a brochure. So I would just give them a false name, number and address.
    The dealers where they put the brochures on racks and the sales people never looked at you were best for brochures. I remember once back in the mid 1980’s I went to a MERCEDES BENZ dealer to get a brochure on the S CLASS sedan. The salesman obviously saw my well rusted 1972 AMC MATADOR but he was nice enough and not snotty and gave me what I asked for. Yes, the internet it great but there was something about the “hunt”.

9. Keith

Just another in a long line of mistakes by Bill Ford and crew.
    Their focus should be directed 100% towards their incessant quality problems, not things like this.
    But they will have a stable full of EV’s that no one wants to buy.
    I wish them good luck. They’re going to need it.

1. Thomas Sansoni

Agree with Keith’s comments regarding incessant quality problems. Long time mostly loyal Ford owner over the last 50 years & since 2015, quality has not been job 1. Ford worries about getting a product to market but inadequately tests. Example would be the 1 st generation 2.7 Ecoboost engine in F150s. Heard from many other owners complain about oil issues such as leaks & catastrophic engine failures. Ford customer service does a great job trying to make things right but management puts to much pressure on R & D the get things to market prematurely is my guess? What a killer to future possible customers.

10. Wyouger

I haven’t touched a paper version of a brochure in many years. I just sit in my home and download a s digital copy. I don’t print then out. You don’t need to print the internet. By putting the information currently contained in a brochure on their web site, they can change and update options and packages as needed based on demand and availability.

11. mike conley

Ford Just Released Brochures in JUNE “PRINTED- ONLY” Version for BRONCO & F-150 Lightning . Does Not Sound Ford Gonna Stop “PRINTED” Brochures For the 2023 Model Year

12. Jack Calvert

No brochures that sucks!

13. Ford lover

Waste of money. Can see everything online. Anyone saying anything different. Is just crying to 😢. Get over yourself and stop living in past. Good job on Ford stopping

1. B Hammer

So if and when the website goes down, we just go without product facts right? I sincerely hope you are on the buying end at the time that occurs and best wishes that you get what you actually want and are paying for.

14. B Hammer

As a sales guy I relied on the brochures to help explain exactly what a customer was getting on a model of vehicle and a specific trim level, expecially with the multitude of confsing combination, you know the “you can get this but not if you had that, unless you choose this to go with that”. Second, as an example the Ford website for F150 in the specs for MPG has in every motor EXCEPT the hybrid this as a quoted mileage “N/A”. So when a customer asks me what truck motor is likely to get the best MPG, I’m supposed to be able to memorize every combination of wheel base, cab style, rear diff ratio, and and 4×4 vs 4×2 to answer accurately and precisely answer a customer question so as to not misrepresent the product? Or….gee Ford…..is that the whole idea? Have we to some degree relaxed sales integrity standards? That brochure is a Ford Vehicle Bible for details and capabilitites. And this things build customer confidence in the prodcuct, and help the sale person clearly demonstrate factual integrity in product representation. But now as I am a “customer”, its even easier. You either answer and documnet your product representations or GMC, or Dodge will be the next dealer I go see.

15. Jason the Salesman

I believe Tesla has a similar approach. The business rationale is not really to save money in my opinion. It is to make it easier for them to make changes to features and functions during a specific model year. If customers really love the 360 degree camera feature, they can remove it from the “X” line and make it an optional feature for $900. Gives them more flexibility to figure out how best to extract money from the consumer.