Here’s Why Your New Ford Hasn’t Arrived At Your Dealer Yet

Delays have been plaguing the automotive industry lately, and Ford is certainly no exception. Unfortunately, The Blue Oval hasn’t been doing a great job of keeping customers updated about their Ford vehicle orders. For instance, a solid amount of Ford Maverick order holders have been left in the dark regarding the status of their pickup, prompting some Ford Authority readers to reach out to us for more information.

This phenomenon is not limited to the Maverick, as we’ve received countless emails from buyers of new Ford vehicles who are understandably concerned that their Ford vehicle order is taking a lot longer to arrive than expected. Understandably, this turn of events creates various issues related to timing and not knowing whether to turn in or extend the lease of one’s current vehicle, or how much maintenance to perform on someone’s current vehicle before the ordered model arrives. While we’re unable able to provide information about specific vehicles and their status, we’d like to take this time to outline the major issues contributing to the delay in new Ford vehicle orders and their arrival at dealers.

1. Chips & Semiconductors

The biggest factor associated with the delay of new Ford vehicles to dealers is the global microchip shortage. In short, there just aren’t enough chips to produce new vehicles at the same rates and in the same quantities as before the became an issue. The circumstance has forced many automakers, including but not limited to The Blue Oval, to reduce production until the situation improves.

This means allocating chips to vehicles that generate the biggest return, which for Ford are the F-Series pickups, SUVs like Bronco, Expedition and Lincoln Navigator, as well as large crossovers like the Ford Explorer and Lincoln Aviator. It also means withholding features from new Ford vehicles, such as Multicontour seat with Active Motion Removal from the 2023 Ford F-150. This feature was also constrained from the 2022 F-150, indicating that the shortage hasn’t improved much since then.

Ford CEO Jim Farley was confident that the chip shortage would be resolved by 2023, but unfortunately he now predicts that the shortage will persist through 2023. FoMoCo has been making deals with chipmakers in order to secure semiconductors to boost production of new Fords, but we have yet to see the fruits of these labors.

2. Supply Chain Issues Beyond Chips

Another reason that your new Ford vehicle order hasn’t arrived yet is related to various kinks in the supply chain. Ongoing issues related to COVID-19 restrictions in China as well as various geopolitical matters have prevented The Blue Oval from get its hands on the parts necessary for continued production.

For instance, recent lockdowns in China stemming from the COVID-19 pandemic created delays for the all-new Ford Ranger in international markets. So much so, in fact, that 91 suppliers couldn’t get their goods to necessary facilities. Meanwhile, Ford production in Europe has been heavily impacted by the military situation in Ukraine, and these supply chain issues have extended to Ford production in Australia as well.

3. Logistical Issues

Finally, even after the (lower quantities of) new Ford vehicles have been built and ready to ship, it’s difficult to get them from the assembly plant to the dealership due to various logistical issues.

For instance, staffing issues in the cargo transportation industry have been wreaking havoc on delivering vehicles to dealers. To start, there’s a shortage of workers who are trained to operate rail cars. That issue is further exacerbated by a shortage of those who service and maintain the rail cars.

Similar issues have also begun to extend to the vehicle carriers (trucks) that serve as the final leg of the journey that new Ford vehicles make from their plant to the dealership. This is the result of two primary factors: drivers have become lesser in quantity, and parts required for maintaining these trucks have become increasingly more difficult to source, incidentally due to similar supply chain issues outlined above, although for the respective makers of large trucks and their parts.

Unfortunately, these various issues will likely continue to impact new Ford vehicle production and supply for the near- and medium-terms. The good news is that demand for The Blue Oval’s products hasn’t slowed at all, with order banks currently at 300,000 units, meaning two things. First, Ford will have to continue to work hard to get its products to dealers and into buyers’ driveways, while finding creating solutions to solve these issues. Second, order holders will need to wait for their vehicle to be built and for it to arrive to the dealer. Whatever the case, your new Ford vehicle hasn’t been forgotten, it’s just been held up due to various unprecedented circumstances.

{{ title }}

This poll will begin soon.

This poll has concluded.

If you want the latest on all things Ford, then be sure to subscribe to Ford Authority for 24/7 Ford news coverage.

Alexandra is a Colorado-based journalist with a passion for all things involving horsepower, be it automotive or equestrian.

Comments

1. Greggt

The sad part of this story is Fords Customer Relations department is virtually non-existent. Not only does corporate not communicate with the customer but it is just as bad with their dealings with the dealer.
    One would think the status of these orders was a case of national security! Mine sat on a lot outside of Dearborn for months, absolutely ZERO information from Ford despite numerous inquiries to everyone at Ford including Farley!

2. Bob

The author has more excuses than Carter has liver pills.
    Time to go back & report on fashion & the Kartrashians, girl!!
    Many carriers are available to transport, but Ford refuses to release the vehicles.
    Have a friend who works for a national automotive carrier & this is what he was told by management.
    No matter, not interested in any NEW vehicles, keep my old ones with good maintenance & and a wash-wax now & then.

1. GaryB

insults the author.
      Completely false statement. Cant ship a vehicle that is not finished (ie waiting for chip components).
      Lastly, comments the situation has no effect since they dont buy new vehicles.
      Congrats, your entire comment was useless trash

1. Steve

Ford’s CEO said they have chips, but he is unfairly giving EVs priority on the chips. Americans overall don’t want EVs.

2. Dee Hart

Actually, vehicles without all the chips have been shipped to customers… My new vehicle is still missing the chips for the heated second row seating and the auto backup assist. Still Waiting… Been brutal not being able to back up my truck! : )

3. Tim

Remove all the unnecessary glamour, touch screens , parking assists, lane control etc. A real driver does not require this crap let’s get back to driving not riding.
    Oh and when you remove these drop the price by 30%. Many of these items were the brainchild of insurance company’s .

1. bill

I agree. Get rid of the frilly dillys and go back to manual controls. I can turn a radio knob.

4. Jerry

It’ll be 11 months August 1st. Still no build date for my 22 F-250 Platinum Tremor. Sad part is others have same options as I do and ordered this year and have received theirs. So much for first in first out.

1. Mark

Ordered my 2022 F250 Lariat Tremor 29 January 2022 and took delivery 17 April 2022.

5. Michael

This is all sounding old, and just like transitory inflation, that was bantered about by the FED for over a year, they are probably no longer true, or believable.

6. hot toddy

the chip shortage situation was and is still being handled very poorly by Ford and the enthusiasm for solving the problem compared to the enthusiasm for new EV technology and production by Farley had left Ford’s long term customer base with a bad taste in their mouth. Kick the can down the road and wait it out is not a “better idea”. Wake up Ford, this won’t end well fror you.

1. Dee Hart

Do not worry, that bad taste is being felt by GMC customers as well…. no sense you guys should feel “special”.

7. donnie

ford needs new management-maybe their salary should be set by their performance-where else do you get paid big bucks for not producing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!???????????????

8. Peter

Why can I get a completely loaded Jeep Wrangler in months but have waited over a year for my Bronco? Isn’t Jeep under the same type of logistic issues, chip shortages and China supply constraints as Ford?

1. Dee Hart

because jeeps are not really that well built… and the Bronco is the “Cabbage Patch Kid” of the year… That’s why…

2. Pedro77

That’s why I just bought a Wrangler instead of the Bronco. Total runaround from the Ford dealer.

3. The Retired Viking

I ordered a nicely equipped Ram 1500 January 14, took delivery February 18. It came in, and was a complete truck. No missing chips, no credits for “not available”.

What I ordered was a unique enough combination of options that there was no way this truck was sitting in the lot somewhere waiting to be shipped. It was indeed built shipped and delivered in a little bit more than a month. That’s good evening for the old days

1. FordCosworth

Sure…or a RAM 1500 Classic that is so dated it uses transistors instead of chips

9. Willy D

I do not know about the electric vehicles build, but I would think that they are chip intensive.
    Hmmm may this be a big part of the chip shortage?, In the rush to get em done, and out to the public ? Asking for a friend.

1. Dee Hart

A Ford Explorer ST (I.C.E.) has according to the salesman that I was talking about over 200 chips in it… An EV has far fewer moving parts so I would assume maybe fewer chips?

1. JDE

it used to be that the PCM controlled motors and actuators in the cars. THis required specialized parts and wiring. so to use less expensive wires and to standardize the construction they started using modules that could be individually programmed to do the same job, these are where the chips come into play. The more gadgets a car has to help people drive since they clearly cannot anymore while texting down the road in massage seats, the more this problem will be. Also in the late 2010’s GM closed the US chip factory they had and decided to try to rely on Asia to boost profits. we reap what we sow.

10. Steve

Not true. The useless CEO at Ford said himself that they have chips, they are just being diverted to EVs, which Americans don’t want. They are purposely suppressing the market at this point to try to force EVs on us. We will not comply.

1. Jim Elsasser

That is a GREAT point!! Ive had my 2022 2 door Bronco on order for 9 months. Nothing but crickets!

1. James Peoples

waiting over 13 months on basic Maverick it’s like I don’t exist with Ford and dealer

11. jbbooky

Does the fact that they are shifting their resources to the plug in appliances have anything do do with delays?

12. Mary Jane Millikan

My Mustang convertible with the Coastal limited package was put into production on 7/28. How long does production take and how long can I expect shipping to take. Flat Rock to Naples ,Florida

1. W.K.B.

It took my Mustang Mach1 almost exactly a week. You should be able to see your window sticker from a link on the tracking page, from a link on the email you got. On there will be your “BLEND” Date. Your car enters final assembly on that date and should be “BUILT” within 24-48 hours of then. The emails are a day late, but you can see them first checking the tracking again.

13. Marlin Ronnebaum

I believe ford is putting way to much time into the EV market could bring the F150 gas down from the best selling pickup. If they don’t get them to customers. Waited this time but not again. Ordered mine Dec 14 and have a build date of sept 24.

1. Dee Hart

no s h i t ? Sept 24? Which year? (I feel for ya)

1. Kevin Olson

At least you have a build date.
        Congrats
        Ordered early January Mustang GT/CS convertible nothing, nothing.
        The bad part was I sold my other mustang to aford this one but with no car insight. Shame on you FORD!

2. Marty D

This it in a nut shell . This EV crap is a pipe dream for greenies .No way folks outside the city can use them for hauling campers and boats they are lying about the distance between charging when hauling loads .My superduty has been on order since sept 2021 with no word from ford .Disgusting the way they are treating customers . Sad part is they will be taking orders for 2023 s in October with tens of thousands of 2022s not made and the salesmen will tell customers it will only take a few months to get them like they did to me .

14. Kinsey

Ordered a Maverick Lariat Hybrid 10/14/2021.
    Have received two emails from Ford… Both saying there is going to be a delay. I called the dealership after first email. After reviewing the order, I was informed that my order has a “code” that signifies that they are not waiting on any part(s)… All that needed to be done was to put them all together.
    So, the chip shortage is not a factor, in my case. Seems to be an over worked excuse.
    In the mean time I have also ordered the new ev Aptera… We will see which one gets built first… And Aptera is just now up fitting their assembly plant!!

1. Dee Hart

What the ‘ell is an “Aptera”? SMH

15. Tony Wilcox

I ordered an Expeditition Platinum on Feb 1st 2022. I hear nothing from Ford, my dealer tells me his rep is new and overwhelmed ! Meanwhile my 2017 trade is going down in value. Very disapointing. I am in Canada, maybe keeping US customers happier !

16. Bob

I have been waiting for my Bronco for 1 year and 3 weeks. Have received almost zero in updates and projected delivery dates. When I read reports that the 2023 order books are opening it just maddening. They can’t produce the orders they have and want more. Come on Ford come clean with order holders and give us an update!

1. Dee Hart

What year model did you order? Just curious because I just took delivery of a new vehicle and would love to know just how far in advance I need to reorder the next one.

17. Ray P

Waited 6 months for my F350 4×4 Lariat. Still waiting on my Bronco. Nine months now and hoping to get it before year end but would be surprised if that happens. Never again will I order a new vehicle. Economy is sure screwed up. Unemployment at an 40 year low but every company needs workers.

18. David Conner

My new Maverick has been sitting in Kansas City for over 2 weeks waiting for truck transport to Jefferson City, MO. Kansas City is approximately 3 hours from the destination dealership. Ford should allow dealerships the option of going to get vehicles that are stranded by the supply chain/transportation issues.
    David

19. Rich Pardy

Ordered my 2022 Escape Titanium back in March. My build date has been changed at least a half dozen times. My lease is up in September and I really don’t want to keep it past that time. What can I expect at this time?

20. Tim

I ordered a new bronco as soon as you could put a deposit down. After a year and a half I gave up. Two years later it arrived at my dealer who then added $20k to the MRSP and sold it.
    I then went and bought a dealer stock ranger only to find that Ford decontented it no LED headlights etc. Back out of the deal got my deposit back.
    Going to keep what I have and buying a lake lot .

21. Marvin Meyer

Ordered my 2022 Bronco 2 door base with an automatic as the only option on December 7, 2021. Ordered with the automatic transmission to keep the order as simple as possible. Answer from corporate, no chips and no hardtop. At least the price agreed upon is locked in, sticker plus destination. Maybe 2023. At 78 years old I hope to get the Bronco before I die. I’m a young 78 though. Currently driving a 2019 f150 XLT 4×4 with a V8 super cab I bought new in 2019. It’s the best vehicle I’ve ever owned for usefulness and dependability.

1. John

I’m in the same boat!

22. Rick Ohnsman

Thanks for finally addressing the elephant in the room. We can debate the reasons behind the delays and I don’t doubt all the author identified are true. What can be fixed however, and must be, is Ford’s lack of communication with buyers and dealers. Even now, we Maverick buyers are waiting to hear when the “reorder” date will be for yet unbuilt 2022 trucks. Lots of rumors, multiple shifting dates, guesses and speculation but no official word from Ford. Appoint a customer relations spokesperson and have an official Ford news website Ford! The tight-lipped silence is maddening and totally fixable.

23. Alan H

Reserved a Bronco in Oct 2020, changed to an order in Feb 2021 , dealer can’t tell me anything , ford customer service can’t tell me anything. It is now July 31 2022 LAST NEW FORD I WILL BUY

24. dan culpepper

Your poll can be misleading! Just ask how long from an order till delivery? I bought a GT 500 in an hour off the showroom floor. My hybrid Maverick, order in September of 2021, still hasn’t even been built, but I do have a vin # but the “in production week” date has been moved several times and no recent notice sent by Ford. You aren’t waiting if you didn’t special order one!

25. Alan H

Dan was that reply about what I wrote , if so I am sorry but that is what is happening with my order. Yes I am waiting on the VIN# all this time. It is a Blue Black Diamond sasquatch with 2.7 motor upgrade hard top and tow package . I have an order # but no Vin# has been issued and noone seems to be able to even guess when it will be picked up for production. My dealer took 172 reservation and 125 were changed to orders.

26. L. Passante

Ordered my 2022 Ford Edge ST on 01/07/22. Ford acknowledged the order and emailed me the progress. The Edge was completed on 03/25/22. It took Ford 5 weeks to ship the completed SUV to the dealer ( a one day drive by truck). Ford never explained the delay to myself or the dealer. No options were deleted (the ST is loaded).
    Ford is prioritizing high profit vehicles. EV’s are a must in Europe because the EU does not even want PHEV’s. I can understand Ford’s position over there where 20-30% of new vehicles are EV’s. However, the push in the US is a joke since only 2% of new vehicles are EV’s. We do not have the infrastructure to support 20-30% EV purchases. Jim Farley is living in a fantasy world if he believes that in 5-10 years we will be all electric.

27. Ken

There is also an embargo out of Mexico that is “supposed” to be lifted July 31. Apparently, shipping was getting too backed up so they shut it down to catch up. This affected a lot of product, including Mavericks. I’m just over 13 months since I placed my order. 😕

28. Celeste pitts

Ordered a basic maverick on new years eve, 1-31-21. Have heard NOTHING from ford. Just got sent a notice, 7-30-22, from our ford salesman, that says we MIGHT get moved to a 23 model, but, not sure. So full of info, thanks for nothing, ford. Such crap for customer service.

29. Ben

We are having to baby our 9 year old Chevrolet long enough till our nearly 13 month old Maverick order arrives. Maybe we should just purchase another Chevrolet.

30. John

Still waiting on my maverick going on 7 months

31. John Gauther

My 22 Platinum F150 was built June 2 at Dearborn. Online order status said it would arrive at dealer week of July 25. Of course it didn’t. This is the fourth missed date from Ford. I’d prefer they give us the straight story rather than promise and mid.

32. Mike

Maverick hybrid ordered on 12 October 2021. No word about potential production date or anything. Dealer says they don’t know anything. Won’t buy a Ford again.

33. Alan H

Just put my reservation in for C8 corvette , we will see which ones comes in first. GLTA

1. Paul Walker

Your C8 will lose….based on model type I was told 16-18 months for Stingray and around 4-5 years on a Z06 and that was last year. Production has again slowed on them due to parts shortage…worker on the assembly line told us. I ordered a Stingray last year….not even on a GM production date yet…doubt I will get a 2023 so it will probably be pushed now to 2024 model year if I’m likely. I saw one exactly the way I wanted it on a lot.,,rare chance since there are few even on lots…..they wanted 30K over MSRP…passed on it.

34. Bruce B

My 22’Ranger was ordered in November 27, arrived at the dealer on April 17th. Communication from Ford was lacking a bit, acknowledged receiving my order and another 2 months went by before I received my vin number via 2nd email from Ford. Production date email was the 3rd Communication and the 4th email was the production was moved further out but only by a week. 5th email was the final notice of the Ranger built and shipped, expect the Ranger at your dealership in 2- 3 weeks. Came in at 18 days later. 4 1/2 months to get a xlt 302a supercab 4×4 with a few other options, fx4, tow, spray-in bed liner, keyless entry. The only item left out of the high xlt package was the fold in Mirror’s, I would of rather had Ford delete the auto start/stop feature but at least I can override that nuisance feature.
    Overall I knew up front of the building delays but not of the poor Communication during the process. Ford did up the special order $1000 off to $1500, my Dealer added in another $2000 rebate and only added a $99 dock fee instead of the usual $599. The Dealer also did me right on my trade-in of my 2016 F350 Gasser, so I actually paid $1300 under Dealer Invoice including titling, plates added on.
    The Dealer did not add any Dealer installed item’s as I demanded when I placed my special order, had that in writing as well and locked in on the pricing on November 27th.

35. Gary Sosniecki

Ordered my Maverick last Sept. 20. My only contact from Ford was on the six-month anniversary of my order. The salespeople at my dealership seem to be using Ford Authority as their source of info, because they don’t know any more than I do. There may be good excuses for the delay in production, but there’s no excuse for the lack of communication.

36. Rob Bates

I ordered my Bronco ( 4 door Outer Banks, MIC Top, 2.7L, Lux ) in October 2020 and it finally was delivered in mid July 2022, a wait of 21 months. No communication from Ford until the VIN was assigned. It is a wonderful vehicle, but as much as I love it, I can’t see myself ordering another Ford, don’t need to relive that frustration again!

37. Fernand Martin

My Ford F-150, ordered on June 16, 2021, arrived in Montréal on June 3, 2022. It has now been 57 days and the vehicle has yet to be delivered to the dealer 50 miles from where it is parked at Canadian National Railway’s yard. I have zero visibility as to when the dealer will receive the truck. Not only does Ford have their supply chain broken, their delivery logistics to dealers is not better. Waiting a year for delivery is bad enough, but taking up to 3 months for a 1 hour travel to the rail carrier to the dealer is totally unacceptable!

38. Bayman71

So Ford is taking care of the rich customers and ignoring their regular working man customers? Bad business dealing’s there Ford. People will not forget that.

39. Bayman71

It’s funny that I see semi’s on the roads all the time every day and Ford cannot get a truck to deliver some chips since the pandemic is about over? We are not blind Ford.

40. Frank

Reagor Dykes in the first photo?!? LOL, nice choice.
    A quick google search for those not familiar will bring up quite the set of stories.

41. Paul Walker

I’m going to be switching to foreign manufactured vehicles since other brands seem to be able to produce the vehicles in a reasonable amount of time..like Toyota and Kia. Ford shot themselves in their foot by having one off shore company build their chips instead of having backup plans …..great plan there…you saved a few hundred thousand dollars in chip costs and it probably cost you a few billion in new sales. Once the recession takes hold on finances, you will not be recouping those lost sales for a decade.

42. JDE

except, Rivian, Ford and Tesla just laid off employees to save money, so I guess what the hell, maybe these displace workers will learn the rail yard trade? Or drive trucks?

43. Trish

Agreed !

44. Dave Gunderson

I”ve owned many Fords—– F150s, Explorers, Broncos, Rangers, Elites, Escapes, all higher end vehicles such as platinum, Super Cabs. XLTs, etc. I’ve been pleased with all of them and that is with over 60 years of driving. Always received great service and communication from Ford as well as Ford dealers, HOWEVER NOT RECENTLY. I’ve had a BRONCO WILDTRAC ordered since January of 2021 and no communication in the last several months. Being in my 80,s I’m wondering if I’ll live to see my Bronco.

1. Ed Rempel

Lol, you’ll make it!

45. Gary B.

Ordered a 2021 Bronco Outer Banks in July 2021. My dealer had to reenter my order for a 2022 model in October 2021. Other than a confirmation for the two order entries, I haven’t heard anything from Ford. I have owned Ford vehicles since 1969, and I am now very disappointed in how Ford has left their customers in the dark. Still, no doubt I will continue to be a loyal diehard Ford person. Please Mr. Farley get something better done on communication.

46. Joe

We ordered a 2022 Maverick AWD XLT Lux last July and had it in 13 weeks. Ordered a Mach E on Jan 2nd and no vin yet . Had a feeling in Feb that the Mach E was going to take some time so ordered a Lincoln Nautilus in the on Feb 4th and had that in 12 weeks. Communication was ok for us.

47. Mary Jane Millikan

I ordered my Premium Mustang convertible with the Limited Coastal package on 11/23/21. Received info that it would go into production week of 7/25. Next notice went into production 7/28. Today told car has been built 8/1. Told a few days to a week for shipping to be arranged. Now waiting for date shipped. I was told the actual shipping takes approximately 3 weeks! Think it will be worth the wait!!

48. Ed Rempel

The 4th of every month is my anniversary date. Tomorrow it’s 9 months for my F250 Platinum. They’ve already welched on the massaging seats. And btw, Ford’s communications department is a travesty inside a fiasco, wrapped in bs.

49. Heyward Drummond

I ordered fully loaded Lincoln Corsair Grand Touring on 12/2/21 and took delivery on 1/26/22. No delay but the dealer was totally shocked that it was 2 month turn around when normally it’s 4-6 month wait for a Corsair. Someone at Ford liked me I guess. 🙂

50. john calcagno

order a ford escape on may 5 was built and done on June 16 still waiting for it to be shipped they said June 22 it will be at dealership. I get nothing but bs from ford customer service