2023 Ford Explorer Arrives Later This Year Completely Unchanged

Following a redesign for the 2020 model year, the Ford Explorer received a few changes for 2022, including the addition of standard rear-wheel drive for the ST, the new ST-Line trim, and a few other minor tweaks. Meanwhile, a refreshed Ford Explorer was recently revealed in China sporting a different look and a revised interior compared to its North American counterpart. It would make sense to assume that the U.S. Explorer would follow suit, but as Ford Authority reported yesterday, that isn’t likely to happen. Now, sources familiar with the matter have told Ford Authority that the 2023 Ford Explorer will arrive later this year, completely unchanged from the 2022 model year.

The 2023 Ford Explorer will carryover from the 2022 model with no changes to trim levels or colors, though it’s possible Ford may offer a few tweaks later in the model year, but those would represent relatively minor changes, and nothing resembling the refresh that the Chinese version of the long-running crossover recently received.

As Ford Authority reported in June, 2023 Explorer order banks are scheduled to open up on August 11th, 2022, while production is slated to begin at the Chicago Assembly plant on November 7th, 2022. But while this particular model won’t introduce any changes for the new model year, bigger things are on the horizon.

Chinese 2023 Ford Explorer

That includes the launch of the all-electric Explorer and Lincoln Aviator, which were originally expected to launch in 2023 but have since been pushed back to late 2024. These two EVs won’t be built at the Chicago plant or the Cuautitlan Assembly Plant in Mexico alongside the Ford Mustang Mach-E as originally planned, though a recent report indicates that each could instead be produced at the Oakville Assembly plant in Canada following its forthcoming retooling for EV production.

We’ll have more on the Explorer soon, so be sure and subscribe to Ford Authority for more Ford Explorer news and ongoing Ford news coverage.

Comments

1. DWH

It’s obvious that Ford is putting a lot of eggs in their China basket and leaving the US basket less than half full. Building a redesigned 2023 Explorer that includes more and improved technology for China happens from reduced manufacturing costs using their Chinese partners. My concern is like the US economy. China us having it’s issues. Threats continue to fly from China toward the US regarding Taiwan. A conventional war with China would cost Ford their entire China operations and billions of dollars that would likely destroy FMC. Unfortunately it seems Ford is taking the US customers for granted. That could be a hugh issue if the Chinese market tanks.

2. JimL

So disappointing. The Explorer desperately needs a completely re-designed dash.

3. CarlJ

China gets all the good stuff. Sedans, upgrades, Sedans, better refinements, Sedans. Oh, did I mention Sedans?? USA Ford gets the garbage that we don’t want. Time to buy non-Ford. The Celestiq is going to be the new “Escalade” of high-end luxury. Hummer and Chevy EV crush Ford F-150. Hoping Ram surpasses F150 which could happen too. Not a great time to be a Fordie.

1. JarlC

hahahahahahaha

4. JJ

Sorry Ford, you are a AMERICAN company, but you sure don’t act like it. Thanks for revamping the China market while you forget about your home.

1. James H

Hard to buy “Made in the USA” anymore. I want to support the US and US companies, but Ford doesn’t seem to care about that any longer. It’s hard to even say that Ford is a US company now.

5. Walter Thomas

Ford obviously is not try at all to be competitive. The Explorer is the worst in its segment for being an all rounder for having a striking exterior and interior. The exterior is nice but most definitely could be updated. The interior is awfully bland, boring and lacks a real thoughtful design. How could Ford be an American brand but Americans gets the WORSE of the companies efforts. All models outside of the US looks a lot better than the loads of poorly built crap they throw together for the US.

6. JB

I’m fine with them leaving the outside as is. All I want is and updated dash that doesn’t have a ipad duct taped to it, some decent seats/interior that you would expect for a 50-60k suv and you know maybe…. SYNC 4 that came out in 2019/20

7. Andrew Sommers

I miss the body on frame Explorer’s or what I like to call a true SUV not the CUV the Explorer has become!!

8. noway

My wife was waiting for the new and improved version of the 2023 (Chinese) ford. She is not happy and Ford has lost a sell (would have been a return customer). We will pass on the crappy one and move to a different brand. Good luck!

1. James H

I agree!!!! Any of these companies doing business in China have lost my sale. Good luck (not really) Ford. I wonder what the UAW thinks about all of this “cheap” Chinese labor and “first to market” attitude Ford keeps throwing in the face of the US market and its workers. I used to be a Ford/Lincoln guy…not so much anymore.

9. Nonspecific Motors

Ford needs to bring the Everest here to compete with the 4Runner.

10. Dan

I want to buy a brand new Explorer but wanted the Chinese version model. WTF? Damn. I will have to look elsewhere now for an SUV. I well, I love the Explorer but I’m not gonna spend 50K for a new one that looks very similar to the one I have right now (2018). I’m surprised at FORD. They going woke as well?

1. DH

Woke? Lol you need to touch grass

11. Ohio Carl

I am a Ford / Lincoln buyer for many years and I am also upset that the Chinese and Europe
    get the upgraded Explorer when the county that made Ford gets the old design. Was going
    to order a 2023 now I am on the fence. I wonder if you could import a Chinese Explorer ?

12. Ed

My wife has a 2016 Explorer that she was planning on trading in for a 2023 revised model. When she learned we are not getting it here in the US, she ended up buying a new Mitsubishi Outlander that she’s very happy with.

13. Mf

Real miss for Ford. Explorer desperately needs an interior refresh, the current interior is worst than the last gen, amd is easily worst in class. They’ve got a great chassis, ok powertrains that win on power, but an insanely cheap interior.