Ford Officially Endorses Expected CARB Vote For 2035 ICE Sales Ban

Back in March, the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) reinstated California’s right to regulate automotive emissions under the Clean Air Act after former President Donald Trump set forth in motion a plan that would eventually strip it and other states of their ability to set their own standards. Since then, a number of states and countries have imposed a future ICE sales ban of some sort, including Washington State, New York, and Canada, to name a few. Today, the California Air Resources Board is expected to vote on its own ICE sales ban – set to take effect in 2035 – and it’s a move that Ford is publicly endorsing.

“At Ford, combatting climate change is a strategic priority, and we’re proud of our partnership with California for stronger vehicle emissions standards, forged during a time when climate action was under attack,” said Bob Holycross, Chief Sustainability Officer at Ford. “We’re committed to building a zero-emissions transportation future that includes everyone, backed by our own investments of more than $50 billion by 2026 in EVs and batteries. The CARB Advanced Clean Cars II rule is a landmark standard that will define clean transportation and set an example for the United States.”

The proposed Advanced Clean Cars II rule aims to rapidly scale down light-duty passenger car, truck, and SUV emissions starting with the 2026 model year through 2035, and by 2035, all new passenger cars, trucks, and SUVs sold in California would be required to emit zero emissions. This move has been in the works for some time, as the state originally stated its intentions to impose an ICE sales ban back in 2020.

Ford has long supported similar measures, previously backing California’s right to set its own standards while also joining a European Union-led petition that calls for a 100 percent zero emission mandate by 2035 and signing a pledge to phase out all of its fossil fuel vehicles by 2040.

We’ll have more on this as soon as it’s available, so be sure and subscribe to Ford Authority for 24/7 Ford news coverage.

Comments

1. William

Glad I don’t live in a tax and regulation happy state like CA.

2. LGB

nothing says saving the planet like blowing it up to mine for battery materials.

3. John

Thankfully I live in the United States and don’t have to worry about that kind of idiocy

4. Mike

Anyone who is in the new ICE vehicle manufacturing business, now knows when they will probably be out of a job. So start planning.

1. Tigger

The EV movement is going to blow up in Ford’s, gm’s, Tesla’s et. al face. The market will not sustain 10 to 15 percent price increases a year and it will only get worse as materials for the batteries will be harder to come by. While EVs will be a good share of the market, there will be nowhere near 100 percent penetration let alone 50 by 2035. Keep in mind that this movement is fueled by a bunch of Marxist politicians that probably never changed a tire on their vehicles let alone know how to design one, and a couple of “woke” companies that pander to them.

I have been involved in this industry for about 40 years and one thing I learned is that the best laid plans often fall by the wayside. Five year plans rarely work out let alone 13 year plans.

5. Thurston Munn

Of course they support it, they have bet their Ford Nuts on EV sales which only a few want and will eventually stop the poor from owning a vehicle.

6. Tigger

Nothing like slitting your own throat. California is the most f’ed up state in a country that is falling apart at the seams. Nothing like the blind leading the blind off a cliff.

7. Tigger

I did drive an EV. It felt like a glorified golf cart which essentially it is.

8. Ford Owner

I am extremely happy that the CARB and other leading states (including my home state New York) have decided to stop selling any vehicle with emissions, other than water, and fulfill Thomas Edison’s dream of the U.S. with fully electric vehicles. Ford and GM have begun the reduction of ICEV and are producing more EVs every year. The imports are following the domestics as every naion in the world will stop buying or producing ICEV by 2035.

So for all you naysayers, keep those clunkers until they drop, or you drop, whichever happens first.

9. John Coviello

I’ll bet that this “zero emissions”idea DOES NOT INCLUDE THE EMISSIONS FROM CREATING THE F’ING BATTERY !!!!!!!!!!! BUT , I’LL BET THEY WILL FORCE SOME OTHER STUPID STATE TO PRODUCE THEM !!!!!!!

10. Jerry M

Ford Motor Company used to be the “Peoples Car for the Masses” I am sad to see the direction that Ford is going, I have owned and driven countless Fords but I’m afraid I am done supporting this once great auto manufacturer.

1. Tigger

You have to remember that Farley and Junior’s Ford Motor Company is now a woke social organization that happens to build vehicles, not a company that is focused on building the best vehicles on the market. The same applies to gm. It is sad to see America’s last two legacy automakers be run into the ground the way they are.

11. Sean

We will not be buying any manufacturer’s vehicles that support this. Thank God for engine rebuilders to keep a car going another 20 years. Not a surprise customers are abandoning Ford in droves.

12. Bob

I heard charging fairies will come out at night to charge the tens of thousands of cars parked on the streets here in LA, owned mostly by people that aren’t going to have the ability to charge up at their Burger King type jobs during the day.
    Also heard the same fairies are laying the cable for all these new chargers (for the one’s that Can charge), and supplying the power to run through them, and that they’ll be no unprecedented tax hike to do so.
    I’ve bought a comfortable chair to watch, from outside the state, California slip into the abyss.

13. Chad

You know folks, I have not posted in quite a while. Read daily, just quit posting. This one brought me out of “retirement” however. I have owned Fords exclusively for the last 40+ years. My Father before me (a General Motors Employee for 30+ years) also drove Fords exclusively during his time at the Fisher Body Plant in Pittsburgh. I just took delivery in May of my 2022 Mustang Premier Convertable which I ordered last October. This is my LAST new Ford product and I purchased it to carry me thru retirmement. I will pamper this baby and resort to after market parts when OEM becomes non existent. Ford has gone a direction I will not travel and I wish their EV charging butts the best of luck. Move the HQ to San Diego for all I care at this point. I wish the very best to all of you who ordered and are still waiting for delivery. I am certain the awe inspiring Ford Customer Service and Marketing Team will be in touch with you any day now!! Back into retirement I go! Cheers.

14. Ron Bearden

Don’t know what this will achieve.Far too little far too late if there trying to save the planet. Hang on to her newt we are headed for the rhubarb. Enjoy the ride.

15. DALE G PERRY

I am a Ford Retiree having worked 42 years in their engineering department. Living in Florida now. I can envision when perhaps half the Floridians drive an EV and a mandatory hurricane evacuation is ordered. Just think about thousands of EV’s trying to get out of town. I-75 N will be a sight to behold. A true life science fiction thriller.

16. Mike

No worry, if Russia, China, Iran, North Korea, and the rest of the ” evil axis ” countries that have nuclear weapons keep pushing the way they are, there is not going to be a world for EVs to worry about.

17. hot toddy

the 2 Americas in 2035 will be pretty obvious. Most of the people that put this plan in action in 2022 will be long gone