2020 Ford Edge Among Safest, Most Reliable Used Three Year Old Cars

The Ford Edge has earned considerable praise from Consumer Reports over the past few months, being named as a superior option to the Honda Passport and Chevy Blazer, one of the best SUVs for less than both $35k and $40k, one of the 10 best SUVs on sale today, among the best mid-sizers in terms of reliability and fuel efficiency, and one of the best SUVs in terms of rear-seat comfort, while the Edge was also the top ranked vehicle in the U.S. in terms of brand loyalty in May 2022. Now, the 2020 Ford Edge has earned yet another accolade from Consumer Reports, which just named it one of the safest and most reliable used three-year-old vehicles on the market.

Slightly used vehicles such as the 2020 Ford Edge offer modern technology and safety features at a lower price than a new equivalent, which is precisely the driving factor behind this latest study. Consumer Reports looked at vehicles from the 2020 model year and selected the best based on a variety of factors, including its own ratings for performance, reliability, and owner satisfaction, average or better reliability in owner surveys, IIHS and NHTSA crash test results, and an official “recommended” rating from the consumer organization.

In that regard, the 2020 Ford Edge performed admirably, making the cut as one of the safest and most reliable three-year-old vehicles tested by Consumer Reports. The crossover earned high marks for its owner-reported fuel economy of 24 miles-per-gallon on average, its excellent performance in road testing, a good reliability rating, and the fact that it comes standard with forward collision warning, automatic emergency braking, and blind spot warning systems.

The Edge is scheduled to be discontinued in North America following the 2023 model year, as Ford Authority reported in January, but has received a few updates for the new model year. Those include the addition of standard ActiveX seating for Titanium trim and the new ST Interior Appearance Package, as well as the deletion of all Outfitters cargo packages and the SecuriCode Keyless Entry Keypad.

We’ll have more on the Edge soon, so be sure and subscribe to Ford Authority for more Ford Edge news and non-stop Ford news coverage.

Comments

1. Joe

To be replaced by a unreliable EV that is smaller, rougher ride and costs more.

2. Drew Ford Retiree

Finally, Ford has a best in class vehicle. So what has Ford done with it since 2020? Removed content, replaced quality materials with cheaper materials, raised the price, and announced it will be discontinued. Escape is on the same path.

Hmmm… first, Ford ran away from small car competition. Then, Ford ran away from all passenger car competition. Now, Ford is running away from core utility class competition. I don’t see GM or MB sacrificing core products (or dismissing thousands of loyal employees) to fund their EV endeavors.

3. Steve

Exactly Drew. Case in point keyless door entry. I had it as an option on my 1989 Mercury Sable $295.00 and standard on my 1994 Sable and now my 2020 Fusion Hybrid that I use all the time after going to a competitor. In fact I use it so often that sometimes I mix up the codes that I still remember from the Sables. It was introduced in 1980 on the Thunderbird and Cougar XR7 that year. A friend of mine had a ’80 Thunderbird with the feature and would
    get questions about it all time and I had several people ask me about it as well. You would think that a feature that has been patented and around for over 40 years would be standard across the board and advertised as an exclusive convenient feature. But instead deletes it as standard and you have to pay $1300.00 approximately extra for this feature as part of an option package at least on certain trim levels.

Chevy brings out the Blazer, Nissan has the Murano and Toyota brings back the Venza, in Hybrid form, again after dropping the original model. All are competitors to the Edge that is considered a class leader in its segment. You would think that Ford would capitalize on this achievement and continue to offer the Edge with consistent upgrades and expand the model with a Hybrid addition but it appears that Ford is making a major mistake and the Edge appears to be going the way of the Fusion. The Fusion story is for another day.

4. Drew Ford Retiree

Steve, I can tell you a heck of a story about how A very small handful of us saved the Keyless Entry keypad from Jack (the Knife) Nasser’s decontenting attacks in the 1990s.

5. Steve

Drew, not surprised this feature should be standard across the board on all Ford vehicles and all trim packages. After 40+ years I would assume that Ford has written off the development costs.

I am glad that you saved it from the chopping block Drew Ford needs you back to bring back the Fusion and save the Edge.

I saw a new 2022 Chevy Malibu with temporary tages in Cape May NJ over the Labor Day Weekend and was curious in pricing and found on build the vehicle site that “keyless door entry” was being offered on at least the top trim Premiere. I was not aware that it was available. So after 40+ years Ford is trying to slowly phase it out and GM, at least Chevy, is offering it when Ford pioneered it?

Cost cutting run amuck! Deleting glovebox lights, single note horns and bodyside moldings to name a few. I purchased after market molding to put it on my Fusion since it was not offered by Ford even on their accessory website. I guess I am one and only as i have never seen it on another one.

6. Drew Ford Retiree

GM’s keyless door entry is not the same. It does not include a keypad. It is the similar to Ford’s Intelligent Access with Push Button Start, wherein a short range sensor recognizes the smart key in your pocket or purse. But Ford’s 42 year old Keyless Entry (the keypad system) is the only true keyless system… allowing you to lock the keys in the car when you don’t want to make the keys vulnerable at the beach, community pool, golf course, tennis court, etc.

7. ken

I’ m afraid EV production is going to break a lot of companies. I don’t believe it has been properly researched. It is A fad for California.