2022 Ford F-150 Lightning Taking Eight Days To Turn

With 2022 Ford F-150 Lightning deliveries taking place over the entire U.S. in the past couple of months, the new EV pickup is beginning to populate our roadways, at least in smaller quantities. Regardless, consumer interest in the F-150 Lightning remains high, and that same model is also currently dominating its admittedly small segment at the moment. But as one might imagine, this high level of consumer interest, coupled with small supply, means that dealer stock is turning in a mere eight days in spite of hefty markups, according to Ford’s August sales report.

That figure is also good enough to make the 2022 Ford F-150 Lightning the fastest-turning vehicle in The Blue Oval’s lineup at the moment, a pretty impressive feat given how quickly other hot entities like the Ford Bronco and Ford Maverick are turning. Regardless, it also isn’t terribly surprising considering the fact that the Lightning has become a mainstay on Kelley Blue Book’s list of the most considered electrified vehicles in its Brand Watch report.

As Ford Authority reported last week, the 2022 Ford F-150 Lightning is attracting customers from other brands at a high rate, but its three biggest conquests are the the Ram pickup, Tesla Model 3, and Tesla Model X. Meanwhile, the vast majority of the automaker’s EV sales have gone to those that have come from other brands, too.

Those that do wind up purchasing a new F-150 Lightning are set to receive a special perk – 250 kilowatt-hours of free charging at Electrify America stations through the FordPass Rewards program, which is equivalent to 575 miles of range or nearly three  “fill-ups” for pickups equipped with the standard range battery.

We’ll have more on the F-150 Lightning soon, so be sure and subscribe to Ford Authority for the latest Ford F-Series newsFord F-150 newsF-150 Lightning news, and continuous Ford news coverage.

Comments

1. Bbot

I thought that All Production was Presold?

1. Bob Dobson

Ya I thought so too, so this is a bit misleading of a story.

1. Brett Foote

Not true – there is dealer inventory out there, which is what this article is referring to.

1. JDE

could have fooled me. a quick Cars.com nationwide search netted 3 total in dealer possession and all were listed for nearly double the sticker.

1. Brett Foote

Cars.com is not a comprehensive list of every new vehicle on sale in the U.S. In fact, there are three Lightnings for sale at three different dealers in my own city right now.

2. Patrick Ford

Its not at all misleading, or particularly surprising. Dealers are always first in line for ordering for their own inventory. Just because orders were maxes out, doesn’t mean it was all customer orders.

2. Jim Y

Why am I waiting in some imaginary que when I can find a dealer to buy from.

3. Bob

No word here about the grossly abusive dealer markups of 20, 30, 40,000 dollars that are going along with these retail sales.

1. The Gentle Grizzly

They only collect the markups from people who have to be The First Kid on the Block.

I recall PT Cruisers marked up 5 grand. Or, when Chrysler put the dealers on notice, would sell new to their own employees, then buy them back so they were technically sold at a reasonable price, then jacked sky high as used cars. Nothing Chrysler could do about it. Three years later. PTs were loss leaders and Manager’s Specials.

Watch. The electric pickups and many other EVs will do the same thing. Electrics are great for fleets where there is a charge station “back at the plant”. Individuals will find out that they are not yet practical and be bailing out. I predict the value will plummet.

4. Mark Labant

I am still driving my 2000 Ford electric ranger. When will there be new models of electric rangers for sale?

5. Leonard Russo

When you can fully charge it as fast as I can fill up my gas F-350 I’ll be interested . Until that day comes I’ll take a pass. This isn’t what I call progress it’s actually inconvenient.

1. Paul E

Fear not. The point of the article is that many others want it. Not that you or me, or everyone, does. (Re progress/inconvenience: sometimes progress in important directions requires a bit of inconvenience, or even sacrifice. Lewis to Clark: “Some may call this progress, but all this exploring and camping stuff is very inconvenient.”) More seriously: try an EV. On most days/weeks you will wake up to a fully charged vehicle and never even need to go to a fueling station.

2. Patrick Ford

You simply don’t understand the product. Anybody with half a brain isn’t going to buy an F-350, if they only need an F-150. On the other hand, you can charge the Lightning 10 times for what it costs to fill your F-350… and you can’t use it to power your home, if the need arises. Progress is using a product that does what you need better than what you’re using now. You’re comparing incompatible products and you’d know that if you were a little better informed.

3. Leroy Jackson

Leonard: The question for you to answer is if you could save 75% on the cost of running your truck, would you spend a little more time filling? In 30 minutes or less you can fill up to 80% which might give you time to eat lunch or dinner. You figure out how to make it work and you save. If it doesn’t work for you, it just doesn’t work. I only drive gas when I need to travel without worry of recharging which may be 3% of my driving annually. EV since 2012 and still loving it

6. Kenny D

8 DAY’S to Turn a $90, $100, $100+++++++++ EV Truck that Can’t do the “300” MILES Advertised??? FORGETABOUTIT!!!! “O” And you want an 80AMP Charging Station Installed at your HOME???? RUB A LAMP FOLKS. The AVERAGE JOE out there Ain’t got this Kind Of UP FRONT MONEY!!! Now, the FOLK’S BUYING UP THE U S of A, Not a Problem for them, they Deal in the Drug Market’s Heavily where Cash is NOT A PROBLEM…. I’ll Continue to GAS UP!!!!

1. Paul E

Yikes. This is a crazy-expensive EV truck. But did this just say that most EV buyers are drug dealers?!?

1. The Gentle Grizzly

In the early 70’s people bought $2,000 watches that needed batteries (not battery, batterIES) ever few months, and you had to press the button to tell what time it was. There were early adopters. The First Kid on the Block to have one.

Three years later, a watch with a single battery that ran a year, and no button to tell what time it was, was a give-away for getting [this or that service].

Prices will drop.

1. Patrick Ford

People now spend tons of money for iWatches and Fitbits that can barely last a day without a charge. You’re right. The cost of batteries will definitely drop. The vehicles will cost what the market will bear as is made perfectly clear by the sheer success of the Lightning. The same is true for ICE vehicles. Its not that difficult to spend $80K-$90K on a fully loaded F-150 Limited in 2022. I think the days of dealers being loaded down with inventory are over.

2. Isaac

My dad got one and still has it.

2. Patrick Ford

You’d be surprised at how much expendable capital is out there, in the hands of people you’d never expect. As a contractor, I’m shocked almost every day and let’s be honest, affording something never stopped someone for buying the stuff they want. Easy credit and convenient terms, is unhealthy for people, but fuels companies and the economy.

7. Dakotaa

This article headline makes no sense

8. EcoBeastie8k

My whole argument with EV’s is really hitting hard right now in california’s GRID being so stressed with this endless heatwave. 80 amps, so what’s the draw on the house, equal or more than 80. That’s more than a house ac, or 4 smaller ac units, add that on top of the ac running and all other electronics.

If we all switched how the heck can we also have air conditioning and the whole shabang running off the current grid?

It’s a great option if you have the cash to burn and dont drive far, but I dont see it as better for the environment. The higher carbon footprint of the creation of the car, plus the fact that most energy is dirty still.

All just riding the tide on what sells currently…i’m all for progress but it has to make sense and not just dollars

1. BionicAnemone

It’s hot as hades in Florida and we had a heat wave earlier in the summer that made it hotter. Why didn’t we have a “stressed grid”? All the smart people are running California so what’s going on with the gred?

2. Patrick Ford

California is only asking people not to charge their EVs during peak usage times. EVs are the future, whether we like it or not. As people move to solar, the pressure on the grid won’t even be a factor. Progress has to start somewhere. Its worth remembering the Lightning is just finishing its first year of production. Its a little early to be looking into a crystal ball. Especially when auto manufactures and even states are putting their thumbs on the scale.

9. Kerbelangr

Lots of stuff to pick on here. Ford 250K free is ridiculous, give me $100 gift card to Walmart instead- way better. CA gov needs to own up to Electrification. CA gov wants to ban all “gas”…which is actually good. But now they (CA Gov) need to push PG&E to get a solid infrastructure to support that ALL electric life.

10. Isaac

When it takes up to a year from ordering to garage this 8 days business mean nothing to the customer.

11. George Pouliot

Seems to be that people now buy pickup trucks for show instead of for work. I own a 2016 F150 with an Eight foot bed and that took me over a year to find. Now I hear there not even in production. Not even offered for preorder. Ford has forgotten about the ones who actually put them on the map. Us Working Truck Owners

1. KC

Cowboy caddilacs

12. Isaac

If you want to pay way too much for a truck that has a large flammable battery in it, be my guest. I suggest that folk have their charging stations built 20ft away from their houses if feasible. Ill wait until the fleet reaches 20 million before I get one.

13. William Hagene

The article about the quick turnaround of the Lightning truck and the hefty mark ups surprised me. I thought Ford was going to punish dealers that marked up over MSRP. What the hell?

14. William Hagene

You sound like the guy with the horse and buggy when the model T came out.

1. JDE

lol, typical retort for the BEV lovers. This tech has been around since the Model T days. look it up. electric cars have literally had 30 plus years in the modern age and still are not quite there yet.

You were not there in the T/Buggy days so how the hell do you think you know “the Guy” and what he sounded like. Get a better talking point.

15. James

1,000 mile range, priced under $30,000 fir standard option, then I’ll purchase one.

16. Bill Byrne

Are you nuts !!! YOU CANT EVEN FIND ONE NEW ON A LOT FOR SALE !!

17. Lgt\"swag

Especially for a truck that when it’s towing, it’s range drops to 104 miles. Real world tested there folks. Grocery getter with a bed. If they want us to have electric trucks, make them capable like a truck.

18. JuneBugJG53

I don’t know for sure, but wouldn’t doubt, that the folk’s paying way over sticker price for any new vehicle, is more their own doing, maybe they want theirs first, or be moved up the line. Just my opinion. If I was looking for a new vehicle, I would seriously consider the EV Ford F-150 though. There is a couple Ford plants close to me, and we see parking lots, massive parking lots, full of brand new Ford vehicle’s. The larger trucks, F-250 and up, and other’s. Either Westport Rd. or Fern Valley rd plant vehicle’s are sitting everywhere, thousands of them, because of chips.

19. Mugenman

Electric vehicles are a total gimmick! As for Ford, blow that truck up! Just another fake news green new deal! How stupid are corporate Globalists? Well we can see here because trucks are work so when you get into the mountains n run out of electricity what are you going to do? Plug that placebo fake truck into a tree n hope for the best? I think not! Nothing will ever replace a gasoline powered engine! I love the roar of a real engine! To hell with obidens obituary agenda! Look at obummers new house. Did you see any Chinese made solar panels on Martha’s vineyard? No and you never will because the global warming thing has been exposed! Take that all Libtards n Rinos!

1. Mugenman