2022 Ford Maverick Among Top New Vehicles Priced Over MSRP

The 2022 Ford Maverick launched during a period of unprecedented supply chain issues, and almost one year after its initial rollout, the situation hasn’t changed much, if at all. As Ford Authority previously reported, The Blue Oval closed the order banks for the compact pickup several months after they opened. Unfortunately, order banks for the 2023 model remained opened for a much shorter duration, to the tune of less than one week, and are now closed to new buyers. Given the short supply of the popular pickup, dealers are still marking them up, and iSeeCars has the latest data on exactly how much they’re going for over their suggested retail value.

2022 Ford Maverick

The automotive data analysis site poured over 1.9 million new car listings from July through September 7th, 2022, and found that the average new vehicle is currently priced at 10 percent over MSRP. That said, the 2022 Ford Maverick significantly overperformed on that metric, as it is effectively being priced at 18.4% over MSRP, for an average dollar amount of $4,614. The 2022 Ford Maverick ranked 14th on the 15 vehicle list, which also included the Ford Bronco, another Blue Oval product where demand continues to outstrip supply.

This latest analysis only confirms that 2022 Ford Maverick prices remain stubbornly high as supply chain challenges continue to crimp production at The Blue Oval’s assembly plants. Despite the current average value of the markups, the figures are less than what dealers were charging back in March, although the pendulum is likely to swing back to higher markups, as inventory for 2023 is expected to be extremely limited. Other Ford vehicles are also impacted by the supply chain shortage too, a crisis that the company expects will get worse through this quarter before improving by 2023. The automaker still has about 45,000 vehicles in need of parts that prevent them from being shipped to dealers.

We’ll have more Ford Maverick news soon, so subscribe to Ford Authority for the latest Ford Maverick news, and for comprehensive Ford news coverage.

Ed owns a 1986 Ford Taurus LX, and he routinely daydreams about buying another one, a fantasy that may someday become a reality.

Comments

1. Mike

Average people just trying to buy a new vehicle they can afford ( which is probably cheaper then buying most used newer vehicles ) and they get ripped off for another $5,000. The American way, rip off the people that can least afford it.

1. Bob

Right on target. Ford making friends by hurting their customer’s.

2. William Barnes

The same happens in Canada. Dealers are huge rip off . Over charging plus huge extra fees!!!

3. Mike

AMEN! Lifelong (5+ decades) and I have NEVER been more disappointed with the character of how Ford is interacting with customers. SUCH disloyalty and DISHONESTY! When I ordered my Maverick in November 2021, I was told 6-8 WEEKS! Now they say it will most likely be OVER a YEAR! And NO PRICE GUARANTEES!!!! Sad day in automotive history.

2. Bob

Dealer lots still empty and you can’t order good cheap transportation. Thanks ford for being there when people need a fair deal..

3. No Thanks Fard

There’s a 2022 Maverick XL 2.0T AWD with 5000 miles on it for sale at the local Ford Dealership near me here in MI. It’s priced at 37K…LOL. Last year when there first started getting these in, they were marking them up 10K. They’ll never get my business.

4. Steve

Good day, I just got in for ordering a maverick .we were on the building site from Ford. I have a invoice with add ons dealer destination, what options we added.there is a msrp on there. Are you saying they will add to that when it comes in? I’ve done business with them a long time. I’m 19 on priority maybe dec next year? Steve

1. Mike

Sorry my friend. You’ve been HAD! Get your money back, unless you are willing to wait up to two years for an overpriced (by tyhen) truck! There is a recession coming and Ford will be whining!

2. #findingYOUphorIa

If you are the one that ordered the truck. Then it will be sold to you at MSRP, unless you have a super shady dealer. ADM (adjusted dealer markup) should only apply to dealer stock and cancelled orders for whatever reason.

5. Malo

I ordered our 2022 Maverick just before the order book was closed last year. Will the price quoted then be honored upon delivery?

1. Mike

Sadly it depends upon your dealer. I trust mine (a bit-I will wait and see) but I hear horror stories of ramped up “delivery” charges.

6. Kevin James

Whether or not you’ll get blindsided with a big markup upon delivery of your Maverick is entirely up to the Dealer through which you placed your order.
    From the very beginning, my (small town) Dealership told me that they would honor the Employee Discount ‘Z-Plan’ pricing AND therefore not impose any predatory markup. They could have been scummy but weren’t.

I’ve since noticed that most of the other Dealerships hereabouts (SE Wisconsin) which have Mavericks on their lots, have marked them up hugely over the window-sticker price.

FoMoCo discourages the practice but can’t do much about it.
    The moral of the story is to work with an honest dealership, and to get their commitment NOT to impose any markup before signing on the dotted line.
    Caveat Emptor!

Most of the

1. Mike

This will only add to the demise od the dealership model-they are making lots of enemies!

7. Frank Schmidt

Can I bring a lawsuit againsts a Dealer who does this? Can you turn dealer in, to local State Attorney’s Office? for price gouging? i believe it’s Yes to both questions…

1. Arcee

Unless you have a purchase agreement with the final sales price to be paid by the customer clearly stated, the price can certainly change. If all you have is a “reservation” or build sheet showing the MSRP of the vehicle you ordered, with no other agreements or contracts, then the price isn’t locked in. The State Attorney General won’t be able to do anything, and suing would be a waste of time and money.

1. Frank Schmidt

Class Action lawsuit can be brought on, as well as sueing the indiviual who is deciding on the price gouging…I don’t think Ford really wants this, even if they didn’t make money on Mavericks

8. David McKinney

I was going to give Ford another chance and buy the Maverick but when I was told I was going to have to pay $10,000 over MSRP I would never. You don’t have to worry about me ever buying a Ford vehicle again

9. TOM

you know if you go through the trouble of having to put in an order for a vehicle sight unseen no tire kicking or test drive, then wait patiently for months maybe even over a year or two, and once it does show up the dealer puts the screws to you, going postal will be an understatement. knowing that there is nothing you can do about it other that walk away then the dealer gets to really screw whoever does buy it at probably double the markup you just walked away from should be legally actionable and if Ford is allowing it how can we react without legal representation, BBB and FTC are a joke I’ve already filed with them, “nothing we can do about it” we’ll file it for you. what’s the paying customer to do, i know-go somewhere else- but that’s not the point, they’re supposed to service us not the other way around

1. Mike

Ford won’t care unless there is class action. My personal response will be a massive social media campaign. As a marketing executive, I have a few tricks up my sleeve LOL!!

10. dbatch1715

I feel very fortunate. I ordered my 2022 2.0 Eco Boost AWD XLT with FX4 and Tow Package on the 1st order day in 2021 and paid MSRP when it was delivered in February. I just put in an order for a 2023 XL Hybrid for My Wife on the 1st order day 2022 and that will be at MSRP as well. Thanks to Bommarito Ford in Hazelwood Missouri.

11. RichB

I ordered my Lariat Maverick hybrid in June 2021 and just got it this week. Paid msrp at Jim Click Ford in Tucson, AZ. However, the msrp went up $1900 in the intervening 15 months. The dealer cant do anything about that, but we are putting in a price protection rebate request. Hopefully Ford will honor the original msrp and send a check.

1. #findingYOUphorIa

My dealer honored the price protection and got the rebate themselves. They did not make me do it.

12. Bobby Fain

The WHOLE PURPOSE OF BUYING THE MAVERICKS IS “BECAUSE” THEY “WERE” AF-FORD-ABLE!
    SO, BACK TO THE MARKETS TO LOOK AT “THE OTHER” LITTLE PIGGYS.

13. Bobby Fain

Please DON’T GOUGE!; AGAIN!!!

14. mark

Maverick looks like a great vehicle. Too bad the only place to get one is from a Ford dealer. I’d rather drive my Tacoma another 14 years than give a dealership a penny over MSRP.

15. Ed

I just ordered a 2023 Maverick and told the dealer I won’t pay a penny over the price they wrote on the piece of paper I signed and they can delivery whenever they want, but that it is my final price including destination & delivery $23690, and I am not kidding, it is not like I have to have it

16. Roland Roosenboom

Ford would love nothing more than to close all dealerships and sell directly to the public at MSRP, similar to Tesla. Unfortunately, dealerships have a legal stranglehold on Ford to exclusively sell their vehicles. Dealerships have greased local politicians around the country to keep these franchise laws in place. As a result of the MSRP over-charge battle wars, Ford, GM, and other manufacturers are expected to challenge these franchise dealerships in court, in the years ahead, to secure the right for manufacturers to sell directly to the public. It is the greedy dealerships who are to blame for manufacturers choosing this route of legal action. I highly recommend you do your research, and diligence, to find and honest dealership to work with who limits you to MSRP cost (once the order banks re-open). Personally, I’ve ordered with one of the few honest dealerships out there, Long McArthur in Kansas. They will ship throughout the country at MSRP + the actual shipping cost, less $1,000 if you finance through them. They will sell at a straight MSRP if you pick up the vehicle.

17. donnie

will someone explain why ford is allowing this from their dealers-in the end, everyone will be a loser-what good is an incentive when you cannot get the vehicle and when you do, its marked upppp-been waiting over a year for my maverick and the last two months they say it has been in production ford is more like an american rip-off than an american institution it once was

18. Jermey

It must be cheaper if your pre order… because I just did and I was told I would pay MSRP price… now that being said I am not sure if the dealership can mark up the price of a pre order. If they do I will just walk away. I am not going to pay over MSRP.

1. TOM

THAT IS EXACTLY what they want! ford requires that the order makers name be attached to the order, the dealership can’t order one for stock/resale. now if and when you ever get one and they put the screws to you and you walk away, now they can sell your truck at WHATEVER price they want making the mark-up as profit/commission. that’s the sickening game we’ll face once we actually get our trucks to the dealerships unless your dealership is a reputable one (good luck)

19. donnie

ford and their customer service is nothing short of criminal-over one year and no one knows nothing and two price increases on something that has not been built ye— you advertise a price but when you finally get delivery-that price disappears wow fordddddddddddddd

20. Jack29

Why on earth don’t people use the custom build feature from the Ford website? Follow the directions, and you will never pay a dime over MSRP.
    Been doing it this way for years (since 2011?) now and have always paid MSRP doing it.

1. TOM

that’s the only way to get a Maverick, is through the build website. you get your order confirmed by ford and the upon arrival some shady dealerships are jacking up the price and Ford doesn’t step in to stop it, that’s what has everyone freaking out. sounds like your dealership actually practices customer service instead of dealership profit grabbing.