2024 Ford Mustang Wouldn’t Exist Without Mach-E: Farley

With Ford investing $50 billion in EVs with the goal of producing two million units annually by 2026, many believed that the iconic Ford Mustang was destined for electrification, perhaps as soon as the new, next-generation S650 model. However, the 2024 Ford Mustang debuted last week in EcoBoost, GT, and Dark Horse variants, each of them featuring traditional ICE engines. The S650 is also expected to have an eight-year life cycle, which is notable since it will likely be the last to feature a non-electrified V8. Regardless, the 2024 Ford Mustang is a sure sign that FoMoCo remains committed to ICE vehicles in spite of its EV pivot, though CEO Jim Farley recently noted that the pony car wouldn’t have survived if it wasn’t for the introduction of the all-electric Ford Mustang Mach-E.

“The Mustang Mach-E, in a way, created, allowed this car to happen,” Farley told CNBC in a recent interview. “Competitors are buying credits for emissions, and they can’t come out with this kind of vehicle.” “If people don’t want them anymore, it’ll go away, but I personally believe people are going to want this vehicle for quite some time,” added FoMoCo chairman Bill Ford, noting “that day will come with a tear in my eye.”

The Mach-E’s success has certainly paved the way for Ford to continue to invest in ICE vehicles. The EV crossover has routinely appeared on Consumer Reports‘ list of the most satisfying vehicles among owners, and has attracted most of its customers from rival brands. Ford continues to ramp up Mach-E production to meet demand, which placed it third – behind only the Tesla Model 3 and Model Y – in terms of EV sales in the U.S. in Q2.

For the 2023 model year, the Mach-E is receiving a few changes, including a 13-mile range boost for Premium models, standard Ford Co-Pilot360, a 90-day trial of Ford BlueCruise and the 360-degree camera for Select trims, two new colors – Carbonized Gray Metallic and Vapor Blue Metallic, standard all-wheel drive for the California Route 1, a standard panoramic fixed-glass roof for the GT and GT Performance Edition, and the addition of the all-new Nite Pony Package.

We’ll have more on the Mach-E soon, so be sure and subscribe to Ford Authority for more Ford Mustang newsMustang Mach-E news, and ongoing Ford news coverage.

Comments

1. Mark B

Well, I’m not sure how the Mach-e saves the current ICE Mustang? Maybe the name? I don’t have unit purchasing numbers as Jim would have access to, but it doesn’t seem that with buyers, there would be a big crossover from one to the other. He did say that the ICE version would be around for some time…hard to know what that actually means. But I would say that it’s safe to assume through the next 8 years. After that who knows…?

1. Stalkbroker94

Try reading the article. If Ford is already producing several hybrid and electric vehicles, it gives them more wiggle room to have more fuel-thirsty engines in regards to what the market is doing and where regulations are pushing ICE vehicles.

2. Tigger

I think he is just trying to give a boost to the Mach E to those (including myself) that do not consider it a “real” Mustang.

3. JDE

I am actually surprised Stellantis did not clue in on this loophole and import Dodge EV SUV’s sooner so they could take their own emissions credits, and still make engaging and fun to drive Hell cats. But this is not really the discussion we should be having, it should be about the overstepping of bounds by the NGM democrats claiming they can fix the environment by requiring unnecessary emission standard on cars they and their city they tend to live in do not drive.

2. John

If selling EV karen-mobiles is what it takes to keep V8 options alive for the rest of us, I guess I’ll take it. That’s really what should happen anyway, OPTIONS for both EV and ICE.

Ford saying V8’s will continue as options, bringing out this Mustang and the Raptor R, along with the newer 6.8/7.3 engines is turning me into a Ford fan very quickly.

3. JE

On the contrary. The Mach-e wouldn’t exist without the Mustang.
    I’ve driven the Mach-e and I really didn’t like it. It’s just a boring SUV with Mustang grille, Mustang Tailandia lights, Mustang badges and Mustang pretentions. If Ford wanted an EV 4 door Mustang, they should have produced something the likes of a Porsche Taycan instead of the make beleive Mustang they produced.

1. Stalkbroker94

I can’t tell if you’re being serious or not.
      Yes, of course the ICE Mustang was around long before the electric Mustang. No one is saying otherwise, which is clear given the context of the article.
      The article is talking about where the car market is going, in addition to emissions regulations.
      To keep it as simple as possible for you; the ICE Mustang can keep getting dirty as long as the rest of the lineup (and electric Mustang) can stay clean or be in the process of getting cleaner.

1. JE

I didn´t say the Mustang can´t be electric or can´t have 4 doors. The market is going to EV´s and that´s a fact. I just say that even if it´s an EV, the Mustang should look, behave and keep the spirit of a Mustang. That´s why I say Ford should have produced something the likes of a Porsche Taycan. An SUV or a crossover is not and will never be a Mustang no matter if Ford puts a thousand Mustang badges on it. Besides I didn´t like it since that´s a matter of tastes, what I mean is that the Mach-e shouldn´t wear Mustang badges or try to imitate a Mustang. It should have been created as an original new product.

1. JDE

They could have of course built the Mach E with a different name and still had the E credits if they sold enough of them. what Farley did was controversial, and last minute. applying the name got people like you talking about it and the effect was lots of free press. Not to mention lots of comparisons to the Ice Ponies. not sure any of you would have even look at if it were say called the Fusion EV or even the Exploder EV.

4. John

Its an excellent vehicle I will absolutely admit that but it shouldn’t have been called a mustang call it “Mach E – inspired by Mustang” or better yet the Model E it’s an active trademark that Tesla tried to use.

5. Tigger

The Mustang as it has always been will NEVER go away. Mustang is to Ford what Corvette is to gm. The Corvette and the Mustang Coupe are about the only true American cars left that have bridged the glory years of the 1950s and 60s to today.

1. JDE

Corvette has had a spot for a battery and E motor from the start of this new Rear engine Lambo Hoon. it will go all electric or at least plug in Hybrid at some point. the Camaro has been aroundd as long as the Moustang really, but it will dies soon too. I would take Farley at his word, this ICE Moustang line up will likely be gone in 8 years as well. they might build a 2 door lower tot he ground BEV or perhaps even Hydrogen fuel cell version by then, but we will just have to see I guess.

6. JBbooky

The market is going to EV’s because we are sheeple and under the thumb of big brother.

7. MarkV

I wish Ford would do the same for Lincoln using the Continental and Zephyr series to expand with EV’s, Mark9, coupe, sedans, wagons, convertibles, specialty white space etc.

8. John Coviello

Let me correct something in the article. Ford didn’t invest $50M in EV’s. WE DID THROUGH OUR F’ING TAXES !!!!!!

9. Brad Barefoot

Gonna get hate mail for this, but here it goes ………. Ford, the Mustang is in trouble for the same reason again … that’s the same reason two Ford models crashed. The Thunderbird & Mustang were grown into bloated vehicles … the Thunderbird was the most cherished vehicle on the planet, until the T-Bird became a 4 door Luxo-barge. Same for the Mustang, what began as a sporty small couple became a bloated, expensive beast … two times. And the Mustang II that I’ve always liked too became a victim of stupid people being in charge. Farley an his management team are chasing a fools errand. People don’t want to be tied to a car that has to be recharged. I drive a C-Max Hybrid, and have since buying new 10 years ago … The C-Max is just as good as day one. Instead of focusing on cars that are Hybrids good ole Farley’s missmanagement team has focused on high performance bloated Raptor vehicles, hell they are trying to make the humble Maverick into a pretend Raptor. I grew up in the 1960’s, a time when economy an performance cars lived in peace … and manufacturing had the capacity to build what people actually wanted, not any more as both fight for manufacturing capacity. Ford here’s a game plan that will work … Bring back the C-Max an Fusion/Mondeao … offer the Mondeao Wagon as it was in Europe … offer both as a Hybrid or gas only models … Now, bring the Transit connect in the picture, offer the SWB model as a passenger wagon and commercial model, in a Hybrid model as well as gas. The platform already exist, you don’t have to develop them. My C-Max daily delivers 49 to 57 mpg around town, the Maverick almost matches that … a Transit Connect Hybrid I’d estimate would match the Maverick … those 4 models are what the pubic wants an needs. In closing why in the hell don’t you make EVs with less powerful engines … going form zero to 60 in 4 seconds isn’t a thing actually needed … but imagine a EV with say 160hp, and that same C-Max EV now had a 600 mile range … then you’d have my attention, and likely business … but as long as Ford’s emphasis is built around the next/gen “SUV” stupid useless vehicle that’s all about hi-speed performance instead of common sense … you nor any other brand is not going to win market share overall … Robert MacNamara was the decision maker that made things happen that the public wanted, Farley … EV’s just “ain’t” got the magic you think it has … and your Ford dealers won’t tell you these things you need to hear … but don’t worry … those who are Ford dealers to day can decide to work with another brand … and all those Ford drivers, they buy the dealer more than the brand and be just as successful selling Toyota, Hyundai, Kia or some other brand. A good dealer can sell any brand they want, and have proven this with used cars.

1. The Gentle Grizzly

I agree with what you have written, but, comparing with the 1960s really doesn’t work. I am old. I recall the cars of the 50s and 60s well. One could get virtually anything in those days, but this predates frauds like Ralph Nader, and predates the Karens in charge of everything we do now.

Those on the regulatory boards have likely never been to a Hot August Night event, a show-n-shine, a charity car show like Dr. George in Indian Wells. They likely have never driven across the deserts or prairies where it is “miles and miles OF miles and miles”. Many likely don’t drive. But, they are in charge.

2. The Gentle Grizzly

“… and all those Ford drivers, they buy the dealer more than the brand and be just as successful selling Toyota, Hyundai, Kia or some other brand. A good dealer can sell any brand they want, and have proven this with used cars.”

Oftentimes, a customer will buy the SALESMAN as much as the dealer. In 1974, I bought a delightful little car, an Opel Manta. I got it at the Buick agency on Geary in San Francisco. A few months after that, I got a nice note from the salesman announcing his move to a Dodge dealer. Turns out he took a lot of his customers with him because he was honest, straightforward, and likable.

(Sadly, fast-forward to 2022, and the salesman I followed from dealer to dealer ended up getting me into a deal I really felt odd about. My own fault as I could have said “no”, but didn’t. Until and unless he lands at a reputable dealer, we are done.)

10. Steve

If he’s telling the truth, then he shouldn’t be running the company. I do believe Ford is heading in the wrong direction but what do I know. Their quality control and catering to the “woke” ideas are killing the company, that and poor product management

1. JDE

“woke” excuses for bad assumptions is actually killing this country in general

11. Michael

Ford is going to keep the ICE Mustang going, so Nascar Ford teams can have a vehicle to run. Nascar is ( and always has been ) a huge advertizer for vehicle manufactures ( and bragging rights as well ). If the Camaro is cancelled, then that only leaves 2 manufactures in Nascar, and Ford is not going to cancel the Mustang and leave Toyota the only manufacture racing.

12. Dwayne D

The market is not going to EVs. The government is forcing it on people big difference. From cradle to casket EVs do more harm than ICE . But lets not let the truth get in the way of the fruit cake agenda.

13. Bob

Love all of your comments. Brad B. you nailed it. You gave your age away when you mentioned Robert MacNamara. You went way back with that. He was one of the “Whiz Kids.” I don’t think they have any Robert MacNamaras in the industry any longer.

14. MarkV

Dear Ford, please put this much effort into damaged brand Lincoln as you did with the Mustang, Bronco and F150.

15. Ronald Wilk

Mach-E rims shown next to ICE are FRUITY. I would not buy, just for that reason