Another Ford PowerShift Class Action Lawsuit Has Been Filed

The much-maligned Ford PowerShift transmission has been the subject of numerous lawsuits, dating back several years at this point. Early on, owners of 2011-2016 Ford Fiesta and 2012- 2016 Ford Focus models equipped with the dual-clutch gearbox complained about slipping, bucking, jerking, premature wear, and hesitation while changing gears, issues that numerous technical service bulletins failed to resolve. In 2020, FoMoCo settled one lawsuit and paid out $77 million while also buying back some models, and it continues to dish out money over this never-ending case. In fact, another Ford PowerShift lawsuit was recently expanded to include later Fiesta and Focus models, and now, yet another class-action lawsuit has been filed over this faulty transmission, according to Car Complaints.

The new lawsuit – Victoria Berghuis vs. Ford Motor Company, et al., which was filed in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California by the Law Office of Robert L. Starr, Pomerantz LLP, and Frontier Law Center – alleges that the automaker failed to diagnose and repair PowerShift transmission problems in the state of California, which it claims should have been covered for 15 years or 150,000 miles.

The lawsuit stems from the owner of a 2014 Focus who brought that vehicle to a dealer when it began to experience transmission issues with 77k miles on the clock. The dealer charged the owner a diagnostic fee and Ford ultimately refused to cover the repair under the California emissions warranty, leaving the customer to pay for it out of pocket. As such, the lawsuit includes all partial zero emissions vehicles (PZEVs) in that state for which The Blue Oval has received a zero emissions credit from the California Air Resources Board (CARB).

“Ford is engaged in a nefarious scheme to limit its warranty exposure under California’s emissions warranty requirements in violation of California emissions law by unilaterally defining and wrongfully limiting the parts that should properly be identified as parts covered by the California Emissions Warranty and covered for 15-years or 150,000-miles under the CCR,” the lawsuit reads.

We’ll have more on this and all Ford lawsuits soon, so be sure and subscribe to Ford Authority for more Ford lawsuit news, Ford Fiesta news, Ford Focus news, and non-stop Ford news coverage.

Comments

1. David Dixon

My wife had two versions of the Focus, a ‘12 and a ‘14 and if I remember got to about 30K miles on both…..and zero problem with either. I drove them on many occasions and didn’t experience any of the afore mentioned issues.
    Guess we were fortunate or it’s limited to a specific build line of systems

1. JDE

well, my dad and grandpa both bought them maybe a year apart in 2013 and 2014. both had the shudder and my dad’s left him on e side of the road a few times. had to turn them of then back on to limp home. the tsb updates helped for a while, but one was dumped immediately after on some used car lot and Gramps shudders and shakes still to this day. My friend married a hair stylist with a 16 that she still owes thousands on and it completely imploded around 100K miles. the only way to drive that one now is in reverse. I used to think the Nissan CVT was the worst trans ever, but it sounds like this mistake by Ford is worse. same era as the 5.4 triton in many ways, that was also a massive failure.

2. Paula

I had a 2013 Focus and had no issues until 95K, at which point Ford made the repairs and I traded it in. I now have a 2018 Escape and just had the engine replaced for the second time due to cracks causing coolant leaks and compression issues. I’ve owned Ford products for a long time, but ready to move on.

1. JDE

I mean I had a 3.0 v6 escape, it blew a spark plug like they did in 2003, but once helicoiled it still runs fine at 300K. we all get exceptions tot he rule sometimes. that floating cylinder mini motor issue was also a thing on the ST focus, so obviously that engine designer did not learn the lesson about building in safety features in case the tolerances don’t quite stack properly.

3. RonR

Farley will be the end of a once great company. His EV push is killing Ford at every corner.

4. LWAp

I love how people with anecdotal stories (“I had one and it was fine!”) Come out of the woodwork when stories like this run. These transmissions we’re abysmal and in discovery emails showing Ford knew about the issues were found. To try to suggest that these lawsuits are meritless because you put 30k miles on one of the transmissions in question without incident.

Ford’s quality issues are terrible and will not be fixed overnight.

5. Stephanie Barnes

I have a 2018 for Ecsport with 40,455 miles with Transmission problems the torque converter went bad & 2 weeks later the ignition coil went bad so I know the feeling cars aren’t cheap and you can’t return them. I went to Malloy Ford in Alexandria Poor Customer Service. It was Jerry when I purchased my vehicle and they act like they aren’t suppose to service my vehicle. They made a comment to go as far as to say Jerry is in Leesburg. I’ve been dealing with the since the end of July. Now it the Automatic Start and Stop after they put the torque converter in also.

6. Anthony DeAngelo

All l ever owned was Ford’s and never ever had any engine or transmission problems They are the best by far automobile company They just wanna bash Ford cause their always number 1 in sales Cars and trucks . Keep up the great vehicles Ford your the best .

1. Richard

Well said, the bigger and better you are the more they will come for you.

7. Bryan Diez

You idiots talking about other years and models not having any problems …who cares .. Ford made a crap product , said they would cover to fix it and did not .. they will never get another dime from me!!!! They are criminals ,nothing less!!!

8. Cindy Trotnic

I have a 2014 Ford Focus that had a shuddering problem and they told me it was out of warranty and in order to get it repaired I must pay for the labor and price of the dual clutch which cost me $1,900 out of my pocket. I picked up the car on a Friday drove it to my Sons and the Transmission Control Module went out and this part they are unable to get for months so I am without a car. Please add me to this lawsuit or instruct me on how I can be added to this Lawsuit or who I need to contact to get compensation for all I have paid and for a car I cannot drive bec they can’t get the parts. This is a faulty car and needs to be recalled and I need reimbursed. Cindy Trotnic
    2815 Frisco Ave.
    Parsons, Kansas 67357
    620-717-5881

9. Lisa

I bought a 2017 new right out of the dealership since then Ive had 3 clutches and 2 times transmission work most recent is april 2022 once again clutch is going

10. Lisa

It was a ford focus se

11. Patty E

I have a 2014 Ford Focus that has been at the service dept since Aug 2022. It needs a transmission module that is very hard to get. I am not alone at this Ford service dept waiting and there are thousands of us throughout the US waiting. I have heard of people not getting their cars back for a year. The service dept cannot give me an estimate on when the part will be sent. It is just whenever Ford decides to send them. If anyone from Ford reads this, please send a few to Classic Ford in Galveston. I would like my car back before my tires rot and my battery needs to be replaced.

12. Betty Rike

Betty October 27,2022 at 10:53AM
    I have a 2018 Ford Focus that has been at the service dept since Sept 2022. It needs a transmission module that is very hard to get. I am not alone at this Ford service dept waiting and there are thousands of us throughout the US waiting. When the part will be in is unknown. My car as well will be ruined and is Ford going to pay for that? I doubt it. They need to be exposed to the world and in Newspapers and on the news of the television. Also complain to the Better Business Bureau. We are the victims!!!! What a nightmare!

13. Sherry Massey

I am shaking my head….. How is it that the owners and drivers only received $ 20 or upto $2500 when many of them are sitting on the debt of an useable vehicle. Meanwhile, the attorneys received $8 million dollars plus $320,000 in costs. Ford should owe WAY more to the consumers. Shame on both the attorneys and Ford!
    I am a 2013 Ford Focus Driver stuck with a $8000.00 loan balance. I replaced the engine, only to discover it also needs a transmission.
    The car has been in drivable since November 2019. I have receive NOTHING! Visited the dealership minimum of three times for the Dual Clutch Transmission. And, I do not qualify for a repurchase or buy back. Unbelievable

14. Sherry Massey

If anyone knows how to help…. I am ready to talk!

15. Jay

I also have a 2018 Ford Focus that is under 50k miles but already having transmission and mechanical issues. The warranty has expired as of two weeks ago and their now requiring I pay out of pocket for those expenses when there has been a recall on my vehicle, simply not my VIN. I’m ready to take apart in a class action lawsuit as I know of a few that are pending and legal representation, I just don’t also want to lose all of my money… This is a nightmare as Ford as well as dealerships are not taking accountability and I have to pay for something that is an internal issue!